Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Is GTX560 Ti overpowered for i7 920 at 1920x1080?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 25, 2012 3:30:00 AM

Hello, my PC is an Acer M7720 with the following specs (just stock, nothing added):
CPU: i7-920 2.66GHz
RAM: 4GB (2x2GB ddr3) I plan to double that to 8GB soon.
PSU: FSP:455-60PA (the tech support said it's 500W true rate but after some internet searching, it is apparently 450W)
Monitor: Acer x233h (1920x1080) specs at:
http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/MONITOR/2010/Acer/X23...
Graphic Card: HD4870 512MB (unknown brand)

Currently, my graphics card is an HD4870 512MB. Despite World of Warcraft having low requirements, the frame rate keeps dropping whenever the environment is cluttered, except at the lowest setting. I am planning to replace it with a GTX560Ti 2GB of the following make:
http://www.palit.biz/palit/vgapro.php?id=1485

I don't plan to OC anything and I'd rather not have to change my PSU just to accommodate the new graphics card so can you suggest an alternative? Should I get a GTX560 Sonic 1GB instead or just wait for something better? By the way, there doesn't seem to be any equivalent Radeon products available locally.

Thank you for your time.
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 3:43:05 AM

560Ti will work fine.
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 3:45:30 AM

The only issue is that the i7-920 is extremely underclocked by default. Simply adding a half way decent HSF to the CPU, like the CM Hyper 212+ (About $20-$30), you can OC to 3.5ghz with almost no knowledge (simply up the BLK to 175 in increments to be sure it's safe).

I know you don't want to OC, but the i7 920 was extremely underclocked for what it can handle and the default clock is its only real weakness.
Related resources

Best solution

March 25, 2012 3:53:00 AM
Share

if your worried about power consumption i would look to the next gen cards as they use less power for same performance the 560ti should just scrap in with your power supply and is a good card btw i would get the ti over the non ti and world of warcraft shouldnt be slowed down by your 4870 at all
March 25, 2012 3:54:58 AM

bystander said:
The only issue is that the i7-920 is extremely underclocked by default. Simply adding a half way decent HSF to the CPU, like the CM Hyper 212+ (About $20-$30), you can OC to 3.5ghz with almost no knowledge (simply up the BLK to 175 in increments to be sure it's safe).

I know you don't want to OC, but the i7 920 was extremely underclocked for what it can handle and the default clock is its only real weakness.


its an acer, he probably wont be able to overclock it anyways. :( 
a c 212 U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 5:41:27 AM

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...

Thermal and Power Specs:
98 CMaximum GPU Tempurature (in C)
195 WMaximum Graphics Card Power (W)
550 WMinimum System Power Requirement (W)
Supplementary Power Connectors Two 6-pin

I'd get a 650 watter to replace the bargain brand 450 that Acer put in and Id get a factory overclocked 560 Ti w/ oversized cooler and beefed up VRM (7 phases) which can handle overclocks up to 30% ... reference card has only 4 phase design, limiting it OC ability

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1201&page=17

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

March 25, 2012 8:07:55 AM

jasont78 said:
if your worried about power consumption i would look to the next gen cards as they use less power for same performance the 560ti should just scrap in with your power supply and is a good card btw i would get the ti over the non ti and world of warcraft shouldnt be slowed down by your 4870 at all

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't have considered upgrading if World of Warcraft didn't start clipping (added: I think clipping is the wrong term, I meant the frame rate dropping so badly that it was noticeable) unless it was set at "Fair" or the lowest setting, despite having latest drivers and all. Everything else seemed to run fine. I'll get back to you after I install the new memory. Maybe that would fix my problem.

@JackNaylorPE: thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably bring my computer to a PC shop if I really had to change my PSU. It's not something I'm comfortable doing myself.

Anyway, the consensus of the posters so far is that my old i7 920 won't bottleneck the performance of a GTX560 Ti.
March 25, 2012 8:25:55 AM

fatman80000 said:
To tell you the truth, I wouldn't have considered upgrading if World of Warcraft didn't start clipping unless it was set at "Fair" or the lowest setting, despite having latest drivers and all. Everything else seemed to run fine. I'll get back to you after I install the new memory. Maybe that would fix my problem.

@JackNaylorPE: thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably bring my computer to a PC shop if I really had to change my PSU. It's not something I'm comfortable doing myself.

Anyway, the consensus of the posters so far is that my old i7 920 won't bottleneck the performance of a GTX560 Ti.



currently ur acer m7720 bios is locked so you can't over clock. u can mod ur bios:

http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Unlocked-Unlockin...


just be careful about doing so. my advice is that your 920, if clocked at the right speed, will not be a bottleneck. my 920 has been rock solid at 3.6ghz and it hasn't hurt my 7970 to much.
April 6, 2012 6:42:07 AM

The memory upgrade made everything else run smoother but World of Warcraft is still choppy though. :-P It's noticeable when you're traveling through areas that are full of trees and grass. I suspect that the 4870's 512MB memory isn't enough for the amount of textures to be drawn but I'm not an expert on that. I've been using ATi's Overdrive facility during the game but the problem areas are still problematic so I really might be looking at a lack of video memory problem.

Anyway, I'll get a GTX560 Ti 2GB or similar/same level at Tom's Graphics Card Hierarchy table, later in the year, maybe with a new PSU if the power requirement of the new card is still 500W. My current PSU is 450W, with a maximum of 500W written on the label (whatever that means).

So the consensus is that an i7 920 running at stock won't be a bottleneck for a GTX560 Ti. Since nobody mentioned that a GTX560 Ti at 1900x1080 or 1080p isn't overkill at my specs, I think that I won't settle for a GTX560 Sonic anymore.

@anzplayer213: I'll look that up. Maybe I have to update my BIOS too. Acer's site seems to have a higher version BIOS available. Thanks.
April 6, 2012 6:54:13 AM

I have a EVGA Gtx 560 ti SC i cant get a frame rate of 40 - 70 in mw3 running on high.
I also have a Ati 6850 in a different domputer and that gets 90fps always maxed.
Is there something wrong with my 560ti
The rig its in.
Cpu: AMD phenom 925 X4 @ 2.80 ghz
Motherboard. gigabyte 990fxa d3.
RAM 16GB cosair Vengeance.
PLEASE HELP ME!
April 7, 2012 7:18:11 AM

tomdabomb said:
I have a EVGA Gtx 560 ti SC i cant get a frame rate of 40 - 70 in mw3 running on high.
I also have a Ati 6850 in a different domputer and that gets 90fps always maxed.
Is there something wrong with my 560ti
The rig its in.
Cpu: AMD phenom 925 X4 @ 2.80 ghz
Motherboard. gigabyte 990fxa d3.
RAM 16GB cosair Vengeance.
PLEASE HELP ME!

Try updating the drivers.
April 7, 2012 7:18:34 AM

Best answer selected by fatman80000.
!