Need professional advice before order

napsterlone

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Hello everyone. I have finally completed choosing my parts for my future gaming computer build. I ask that you please review all my parts to make sure they are compatible and that I have chosen good parts. It is based off of an AMD build.

What I will use it for:
- graphic intensive video games
- home theater
- multi-tasking
- downloading large files
- lots of internet use

What I'm looking for:
- a build that will last me for a while
- I will not overclock for now but I will in the future once I get more comfortable
- a build that will allow me to work speedily and play smoothly on ultra graphics options
- I'm not going to get hung-up over specifics, I just want a PC that will get the job done. I don't need the best.
- A $700 value computer

Questions:
- Is my power supply enough?
- Is my motherboard a good one?
- will my GPU do the job?
- will my CPU do the job?
- is my case good?
- is everything compatible?
- will it last me a long time?

Build:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Video Card: XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready

Power Supply: OCZ ZT Series 650W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Hard Drive: Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal

Case: Antec Gaming Series one illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CD/DVD reader/writer: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

TOTAL: $755 before rebates+shipping

TOTAL: $700 after rebates

I don't see anything except the video card. You might check the newegg reviews and see if noise is an issue for the xfx brand; some brands like Sapphire are rated quieter for some models. I use an ocz ps and ssd and have had no problems with them.

napsterlone

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011

Ok thanks. Also, should i stick with the Phenom II x4 965 BE or should i go for an FX series CPU?

napsterlone

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011

Ok thanks. Also, should i stick with the Phenom II x4 965 BE or should i go for an FX series CPU?

My opinion is, the only way I would go with an FX would be under 2 conditions.

1. It be the FX-8120 model.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103961

2. You overclocked it over 4.0GHZ. Contrary to some review sites (including Tom's), an overclocked 8120 stacks up pretty well against the more expensive Intel 2500K.

This is a very comprehensive benchmark of the CPUs head to head overclocked.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1210060/fx8120-vs-2500k-benchmark-results

Considering they're only 170 bucks now, and 2500Ks are still 220, and the new Ivy Bridge 3570k is 240 (which at best is only 6 percent better than the 2500k and at worst, gets way too darn hot under overclocking conditions- and Intel promised pre-release it would be 20 percent better than Sandy Bridge- Clearly it wasnt).. I'd take the FX-8120 over em, but thats just me. Sure, originally FX 8 cores were way too expensive for the stock performace they offered, but they really do seem to come alive under overclocking conditions going by that article I linked to. My main objection to Intel is their business practices, we all know they make better products, they're still crooks.