dman777

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I wanted to upgade to a server for IOMMU support. I live in a one room apartment, so I want to keep the heat down so my PC will be a silent as possible in regards to fan noise.

Right now I have a AMD Phenom II quad core that is 65watts. I see that the "Intel Xeon E3-1265L V2 Ivy Bridge 2.5GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 45W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80637E31265L2 " is 45watts. Does this mean the Intel Xeon would put out less heat than my Phenom II?

Solution
Have you tried plugging your server into a power meter to see just how much your system is actually drawing from the socket?

The cpu is but one component which has an effect on the power drawn and heat output by your server.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Nice example. GhislainG is right, the difference in heat production by the CPU itself will be negligible. If the current rig is meeting your computing needs, you might look at solutions to make it run cooler/quieter.

What are the specs for your current server rig?

pauls3743

Distinguished
Have you tried plugging your server into a power meter to see just how much your system is actually drawing from the socket?

The cpu is but one component which has an effect on the power drawn and heat output by your server.

Solution