Highly unusual problems I'm experiencing with system

g-unit1111

Titan
First off this is the configuration:

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Cooler: Stock fan
RAM: 4GB G.Skill Ecogreen 1.35V (will replace with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226095 )
HD: Seagate Barracuda ST 320GB 7200RPM
Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625

So I'm running on what is essentially default settings. The hard drive has a full working copy of Windows 7 Pro installed on it. All of a sudden the CPU fan starts accelerating rapidly - to 6,100 RPM. My primary PC there's three fans and not a single one of them goes above 1,500RPM according to the BIOS. I go into the BIOS to try to fix the problem but it can't be done. So I load optimized default settings. Now I reset the machine and it gets to "LOAD OPERATING SYSTEM" and suddenly it says "BOOT MGR MISSING PRESS CTRL-ALT-DEL" despite the fact that I was in full Windows earlier.

Now the first question is what do I do about the CPU fan - do I contact AMD or Gigabyte first and attempt to RMA it? Second, what's going on with my hard drive - is it something that I can fix easily or will I need to try a different hard drive?

As far as the Boot mgr missing since you loaded the optimized defaults you have changed the boot order and the hdd with the OS is now not the first option and may not even be in the list but either way the boot order needs to be checked.
The cpu fan problem , was there a temp spike that caused the fan to accelerate ? Have you monitored the cpu temps ?

make sure you used thermal paste under the cpu and that the cpu cooler pins are all the way in and locked. also check your bios rev on the mb to one ones on the mb web page. a lot of time you get a mb and it at the first bios rev and there 5 or 6 bios fixes that you have to install.

g-unit1111

Titan

There's definitely thermal paste on the CPU, I applied it myself and even removed and reinstalled the fan to see if that was the case. I'll try hooking it up to another port on the motherboard and see if that clears it.

g-unit1111

Titan
Update: I moved the fan from the CPU fan port to the SYS_FAN1 port and I still haven't seen it slow down - which makes me think it's the fan itself.

As far as the HD goes I've been trying to get it to reinstall Windows but it froze midway through. I'm gonna try to reinstall it again later tonight and see what I come up with.

try when you boot off the windows boot cd go into tools and run fdisk/mbr or fixdisk /mbr looks like the mbr of the hard drive is damaged. in your bios check for cpu fan speed..auto..or quiet/normal/full on. it may be set to full on. i know in my asus bios i can change the rpm.

g-unit1111

Titan

What's really weird is that the HD was working fine before I had loaded the defaults. It was only after I loaded the defaults that the primary HD started giving me problems.

g-unit1111

Titan

Have not had a chance yet but what's really weird is that I e-mailed AMD about the problem - and the response was completely different from the question I asked.

This was the original e-mail:

I'm using a Phenom II X6 1055 with the included stock fan on a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard. The CPU itself (SN: Y464024J00105) works fine - it's able to run Windows and everything. However, upon going into my motherboard's BIOS I noticed that the included fan spins at 6100 RPM when before I moved the motherboard to the new machine the fans were spinning at 1500RPM - is this a problem with my motherboard or is this a problem with my CPU fan?

And this was the response:

Response and Service Request History:
Regarding Is the v7900 gpu fully compatible with the Thinkcentre m57p and with this machine too?

1. Thinkcentre m57p

We have analyzed the information on the manufacturer’s link below and it shows there is a PCI-Express x16 slot. The card will fit in there.
However the PC does not meets the power requirements for the video card
Next the power supply should be about 430 watts or higher for the PC to work without issues.
Power supply
• 280 Watt power supply with manual voltage selection switch
• Automatic 50/60 Hz input frequency switching

2. with this machine too

We have analyzed the information on the manufacturer’s link below and there is no information or data on the motherboard specifications.
Nothing to show if there are any PCI-Express x16 v2.0 slots, etc.

http://shop.amd.com/us/Manufacturer/Lenovo/Detail/Desktop/77232DU?SearchFacets=category%3ADesktop#Details
Please contact Lenovo for more information to ascertain if the PC has a PCI-Express x16 version 2.0 or higher slot?
Next the power supply must be about 430 watts or higher for this card to work in the PC.

If the systems meet the above requirements the video cards will work.

Will each be fully compatible? We don’t have enough information to validate that; however Lenovo maybe be able to reply to the questions.
Thank you

WTF??? That is not what I asked AMD at all!!! :pt1cable:

That's why I dislike this e-mailing tech support for issues and I would much rather speak to someone over the phone. However that can go wrong as well if the person is not that good on the other end.
Does the bios have any problem seeing the hard drive? The drive has a primary partition? That you formatted?

g-unit1111

Titan

The BIOS shows all 3 drives I have connected (master HD, slave HD, optical) so I still don't know what's going on. I reformatted the drive (again) when I reinstalled Windows, I'll check it out and see what happens.

g-unit1111

Titan

Actually I got the hard drive back up and running and just finished installing Windows. I still cannot figure out what's going on with the CPU fan and I've e-mailed both Gigabyte and AMD about it, I guess I'll wait and see tomorrow what's going on.