No display until windows login screen

Undervalued

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Hello all,

A few months ago a built a rig for gaming (specs at the bottom). It's been running well except for one problem. Whenever I use the video card for display nothing is displayed on the monitor until the windows login screen. I can still access the BIOS by taking the card out and using intel integrated graphics, but I'd rather be able to use it without having to take the card out each time. My BIOS is set to use the PCIEx16 as the initial display and is set to disable integrated graphics when a video card is inserted. Does anyone have any ideas?

Specs:

CPU: i5 2500k
GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr O/C
Mobo: Gigabyte Ga-z68xp-ud3
Ram: PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W

Thanks in advance,
Undervalued

mmilner1

Honorable
May 10, 2012

I can't see what your specs of you machine is, If I had a guess it would be that your SSD (if you had one) is booting up and the monitor is on some auto detect setting that is slow to see the boot up. To test it you could reboot and hit the delete key several times. Maybe look into your bios and see if there is some boot menu that is making the video card delay or even its just your monitor settings.

also check the advance boot screen. some settings now make the mb wait x abount of time to let you hit f1 or see errors on screen. other have the mb boot screen there and 3 party bios message.dont forget at post video card vendor want there bios info to boot up on screen then you have the usb chipset bios and sata bios boot on a normal pc boot screen.

Undervalued

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

Thanks for pointing that out. Here they are:

CPU: i5 2500k
GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr O/C
Mobo: Gigabyte Ga-z68xp-ud3
Ram: PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W

I don't have an SSD so that couldn't be the problem. I'll try rebooting anyway and hitting the delete key like you said.

Edit: Spamming the delete key at startup didn't help. The BIOS loaded (I was still able to hit F10 and enter to get to windows) but it still didn't display anything.

mmilner1

Honorable
May 10, 2012

what monitor do you have, at this point i'd guess the auto detect on your monitor is slow. Not sure if its a setting or not in your monitor

Undervalued

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

I'm using a Samsung syncmaster xl2270. I looked in their online manual (http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201004/20100413083355062/BN59-00967E-00Eng.pdf) but couldn't find anything that I thought would help. I'll try plugging it in to my TV later today to see if that makes a difference.