Sign in with
Your question

New am3+ processor doesnt fit my am2 socket MB

Last response: in CPUs
September 17, 2012 7:56:16 AM

Hi there,
Today my new hardware arrived by mail.
I bought a new processor: AMD FX 6100 6-core Black edition, 3.3 Ghz, 14Mb total Cache.
I have this old and cheap AM2 socked motherboard ( Asus M2N68-AM PLUS) , but i planned to upgrade this later (financial reasons). Before i bought this new processor i did some research about this am2 and am3 socked thing and found out that a AM3 Processor WOULD fit an am2 motherboard (just not the other way around) . Guess what? It doesnt. I cant get the processor on my motherboard, it just wont fit.

Can someone explain to me why it doesnt fit while it should, in theory ?
Thanks
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2012 7:59:54 AM

AM3+ is a different socket than AM3. The AM3+ motherboard socket is backwards compatible, but the the AM3+ interface on the CPU is not. An AM3+ CPU will not work on an AM2 board.
September 17, 2012 8:03:10 AM

Ahh, Thanks. I did some googling with am3+ but i only got am3 results, wich is why i assumed it would be the same (lol).

Thanks for your quick reply. :) 
Any advice for a am3+ motherboard?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2012 8:04:26 AM

Your research was covered AM2 and AM3. Not AM3+.

As said its not compatible.

Mactronix :) 
September 17, 2012 8:07:19 AM

Yea I feel like a fool lol.
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2012 9:23:58 AM

Hey, we've all been there. In my years of learning computers, I've made plenty of mistakes which make me look back and say "God, I was such a fool/idiot".
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2012 9:26:16 AM

Since you have an Asus board already, the M5A series is AM3+ compatible, as well as being quite affordable. You can upgrade to a more expensive board when the budget allows.
September 17, 2012 9:55:00 AM

Thanks for your reply. I made a new thread for this in the MB section, I found sthis m5 series too, and in this topic I asked if I should buy this one or spend a few extra bucks for a faster board. If youre intrested in helping some more, here is the link to the topic: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/320544-12-motherboa...

God, I love forums, all these helpfull people make me smile

a c 82 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2012 10:13:18 AM

you may also be disappointed to find out that your am2 cpu may be faster than the new one you just bought.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2012 10:29:02 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
you may also be disappointed to find out that your am2 cpu may be faster than the new one you just bought.

Depends on what the previous CPU was. If it was a high-end Phenom II, then maybe.
September 17, 2012 11:09:34 AM

iam2thecrowe said:

Nah, I had a real crappy one before. 2 years ago I bought a gaming laptop so i didnt look after my pc.
But, this processor isnt that slow is it? I know it doesnt have 6 real cores ( as it states 6-core) but its 3.3 GHz and unlocked so I just have to buy a decent cooler and i can overclock it right? Anyway your point is that i should have bought a fast am2 processor i guess? So i didnt have to buy a new MB anyway. Well thats true and I am somewhat disapointed :p 
September 17, 2012 11:16:32 AM

AM2 <> AM2+ <AM3> AM3+
!