AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE vs AMD FX 6100

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I have the 965 BE atm, I'm wanting to go into the FX series since I wanna upgrade and cant seem to find the 980 anywhere. Ive ruled at the 8150 and 8120. I need help with what to pick, Any other suggestions with CPU's will be a lot of help. I also dont want to go intel. I already made up my mind that if I was I was just going to do i5 2500k if I was going to.

Thanks in advance.

Solution

just 4 months old?
on the cpu side: imo, skip both fx as well as 2500k. too early to upgrade/sidegrade. when pd comes out in a few months, check out how it performs. piledriver will support am3+ platform. you might need a bios update though.
if you're not satisfied, aim for a desktop haswell i5 next year. or get an ivb/sb i5. save up money.

on the not-cpu side: you haven't said what you want do with the pc or your full config. gaming? not-gaming? video editing? if it's for...

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

yeah I have the coolermaster hyper 212+ cooler. I'm thinking about just doing a whole new intel build. So Ill probably go with a 2500k, but I really dont want to buy intel because Ill have to get a new motherboard, and my build is only 4 months old

just 4 months old?
on the cpu side: imo, skip both fx as well as 2500k. too early to upgrade/sidegrade. when pd comes out in a few months, check out how it performs. piledriver will support am3+ platform. you might need a bios update though.
if you're not satisfied, aim for a desktop haswell i5 next year. or get an ivb/sb i5. save up money.

on the not-cpu side: you haven't said what you want do with the pc or your full config. gaming? not-gaming? video editing? if it's for gaming and your gfx card also needs an upgrade, try that first. or get an ssd if you don't have one.

i wonder why you have a 4 month old ph ii build.... sandy bridge have been around for over a year....

Solution