SLI Power Help

RS1T

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Hey everyone,

I picked up a second GTX 470 with the intention of pairing it with my existing one. However, I've run into a problem. My 750W PSU doesn't have 4 free molex connectors, so I have no way of connecting two of the dual molex to GPU adapter cables to my second card. It only has 3 connectors I can use, so I'm just one short.

What should I do?

Thanks

G

why are you using molex adapters, i know why they are used but i cannot fathom a 750w PSU being short on PCI connectors.

G

wow . . .i am sorry.

i was really gonna stretch it and figure something out, even with a "do NOT try this at home" disclaimer but that if not a sli friendly PSU at all.

but the:
6 Pin PCI-e Connector x 1

killed any hope. i am thinking you using the 6 pin AND two molex just to run what you have . .and thats NOT GOOD.

G

your really changing up where the 12 volts are coming from when you use molex "cheaters" a.k.a. "adapters"

without getting involved in a explanation of the anatomy of a PSU; your putting a large load on a 12 volt supply that was designed to support a small load going to a hard drive or other peripheral.

you may get away with it with one gfx card that isn't going to cause a large load. but something more substantial like a gtx 470 is a whole different ballgame.

especially when you are using a "less than high quality" PSU.

RS1T

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
So your best advice is to get a new power supply? If that's the case, what's a less pricey option? Thanks