Advice on building a gaming pc on a budget

BlueEyeGuy

Honorable
May 25, 2012
So here's the deal, I'm looking to build a gaming pc on a budget as per the thread title. In specific I want to make sure that it can run Diablo 3 smoothly on at least medium settings. I will also be using this computer for internet surfing, word processing, and the occasional editing of photos. I'd like to keep the price as low as possible without sacrificing too much performance. I would also like the ability to upgrade the processors, and maybe SLI gpu's in the future as long as it won't significantly increase the cost. I'm pretty new to this, and very new to tom's, so please bare with me.

Approximate Purchase Date: (As soon as possible)

Budget Range: $500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Gaming, Internet, word processing, photo editing)

Parts Not Required: (EVGA NVidia Geforce GTX 460, Corsair tx650v2, monitor, speakers, mouse)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (newegg.com, though I am open to others)

Parts Preferences: (Intel i3-2120, 8gb RAM, open to other suggestions)

Overclocking: Yes, but only mild

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: (1920x1080)

Additional Comments: I have never built a PC, I have no idea what parts are required apart from the cpu, psu, gpu, ram, hard drive, and case. Also, please be gentle ^_^

Need Help_71

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012

Need Help_71

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Oh and do you already have a GTX 460?
Because that would change things significantly.

For this budget, 8GB of RAM is not really necessary, not even for Diablo 3 really. Most games and programs run just fine on 4GB :)

Need Help_71

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Ok, Im assuming that is the case with the Corsair PSU as well.

So here is my build for your, all prices are taken from amazon.

ASRock Pro3 Gen3 Motherboard

i3 2120 Processor

G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB RAM

Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Case - depends on personal choice to quite an extent. You have 120 bucks to spend here.
I like the NZXT Source 410 White
Antec 902 case is good as well.
I'd look around for a good case that you like - make sure it is full or a mid tower case that can fit the motherboard ie. is an ATX case :)

BlueEyeGuy

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Thank you for your input. I think I'm going to go with a Western Digital 320gb Caviar Blue HDD, and an ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3. That way if I want to upgrade in the future I will have more options, such as the ability to oc a new CPU, and the ability to use SLI.