Do I need to upgrade my CPU?

musicman23

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Hi Guys im new here so please help me out

I'm thinking about upgrading my processor because some games are now laggy and fps are way down. Can you point out what upgrades do i need?

Here are my specs:

Intel Pentium D (2.8Ghz)
ATI Radeon HD 5670
4gig RAM
500gig HD SATA

Also I'm thinking about getting the Intel i3 3220 (3.3g) is it a smart buy?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi musicman23

If you are very lucky your motherboard may support Core 2 duo cpu's

A second hand core 2 duo (at similar speed to the P 4 D) will give a significant increase in performance for a reasonable price

check the motherboard manufacturers web site for compatible cpu's

A re-install of Windows and up to date AMD/ATI Radeon Drivers will be cheaper.

regards

Mike Barnes

ndositwe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Since you mention Intel i3 3220, it means you are prepared to budget/save up for a new complete build, which will be a very smart decision.

For how long have you used your current Pentium system?

musicman23

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Well im currently playing skyrim, ME3 and NBA 2k12.

It seems fine at first but it just got slower and slower along the way, my drivers are up to date so I chose to upgrade my RAM but it didn't help so I am thinking my processor needs to be upgraded as it is really really old.

My budget for the CPU is aroung $100 to $150 can you name any suggestions? my mobo is a gigabyte G31m - ES2C

Thanks for the replies guys! :)

hitesh12

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Checked your mobo cpu support list and it looks like you can upgrade quite ahead.
At that budget you can get an extreme quad core but then the cpu - gpu combination will become odd.
So my suggestion is that increase the budget a little more and upgrade both cpu and gpu

InvalidError

Titan

Windows picks up lots of crap over the years that can make it get slower, re-installing fixes that.

Another thing that can make CPUs slow down is heat either due to the HSF getting packed with dust, loosening contact between the HSF and CPU or the paste/TIM breaking down. You might want to try running monitoring software along with your games to see if this might be your problem.

musicman23

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Can you suggest a good combination of cpu and gpu for my mobo?

Latest posts