Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Suggestions, or Changes please? :3

Last response: in Components
September 17, 2012 1:13:15 PM

Hi all.
-------
I am seeking to build my first gaming rig.
-------
So here's the Specifications:
-------
Central Processing Unit: Core i3-3220 3.3GHz
Graphics Processing Unit: ATI Radeon HD 5970 Crossfire
Random Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4 GB DDR3
DirectX Version: 11
Operating System: Windows 8 Professional x64
Hard Disk Drive Space: 500 GB (I dunno the brand yet, can you suggest one, with high RPMs?)
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-VS
Power Supply Unit: FSP HEXA 500 500Watts
Chassis: Still thinking about it, Lol. Can you suggest one? Something Mid to High Tower.
-------
I anticipate this rig will bring 40+ FPS for Battlefield 3 or Modern Warfare 3, or Warfighter. I LIKE THOSE GAMES BTW.
-------
So please suggest changes to the components, and state the price! Thanks youu! :3

More about : suggestions

September 17, 2012 5:17:17 PM

I would change a lot of things with this setup if I were you.

5970s are no longer being sold at most major retailers because they are two generations old hardware. What that means to you is often that you can get a too good to be true deal on it.

It will perform as it did in its own generation, however, it will use tremendously more power than a current generation card to do the exact same thing. With that excess heat comes fans that must spin faster and be louder to adequately cool the parts. That also means a lot of excess heat that damages parts over the long term.

A newer card that costs the same will probably be superior in nearly every way.

If you already have the 5970, sure whatever. It is probably wasteful to replace it if its still working, however, if you are getting this new or off ebay or whatever, then I would instead get something current generation for about the same price. Either that or at least strongly consider it.

You didn't list how much you are paying for these parts, so I can't really say how a similarly priced current generation card would compare to it. The same kinda really applies to everything I am going to say, btw.

Corsair Vengence 4GBs... I would get 1x 4GBs if I were you instead of 2x 2GBs. The ideal amount of RAM for most people is going to be 8GBs and its best achieved through 2x 4GBs. If you get 1x 4GBs, you can get another pack of the exact same thing later if you need to and have the ideal setup without having to trash what you already have.

Hard drives - It doesn't really matter, but I would avoid Hitachi. Those tend to have much lower quality ratings than either Seagate or Western Digital. Samsung used to be in the HD game and used to be the highest in quality, but their factories were pretty much completely destroyed in a natural disaster and they were bought out by Seagate.

If you get something that says its from Samsung its great, but if you get something from Samsung that says "powered by Seagate" or something like that on the box, its still going to be pretty much the best you can get.

Both Seagate and Western Digital are pretty much tied for quality in this product, so either one of those is fine.

Note - Higher cache is better. This is the third consideration after size and rotational speed.

PSU - FSP PSUs usually aren't that good. I would get something around the same wattage from XFX or Corsair instead.

If you insist on sticking with the 5970, that wattage may be a little aggressive anyway, you might want to bump up more towards an XFX 550w or a Corsair CX600w.

If you decide to go for a newer card for about the same cost, a Corsair CX430w or XFX 450w is probably good enough.

Case - The HAF 912 and Antec 302 are both popular cases for entry level gaming systems.

Games - BF3 multiplayer likes to have lots of cores and the single player part of that game is like 3 hours long, so the dual core i3-3220 isn't going to give you really great performance in this game.

If you really want to maximize your performance in a game like that, you would be better off going with an Intel quad core like a 2500k or a 3570k.

Motherboard - H61 can work with i3/i5/i7 chips in the 3000 series (Ivy Bridge), however, they can only work with an updated BIOS. If the board has an old BIOS when you receive it then it wouldn't recognize a 3000 series chip at all and you wouldn't be able to use that same 3000 series chip to update the BIOS so it can be recognized.

If there was a BIOS update available for the board to allow it to work with 3000 series chips and you happened to have an older 1155 processor laying around you could do the BIOS update and then slap in the 3000 series chip and it would work, but either one of those things are big ifs for a lot of people.

If you intend to stick with H61, its best to limit yourself to 2000 series chips like the before mentioned i5-2500k. This same thing applies if you intend to stick with other 6 series boards like P67 or Z68.

If you intend to stick with 3000 series chips, it would be best to get a 7 series motherboard instead (Z77, B75, H75, Q77, or whatever). These are guaranteed to have 3000 series compatibility out of the box with no updates required.
September 17, 2012 5:56:17 PM

BF3 needs a quad core cpu.

5970 crossfire? LOL

Why would you be looking to buy 3yr old dual gpu cards?

I suggest you fill out the new build form in the new build section of the forum if you want advice.
Related resources
September 17, 2012 6:02:40 PM

Might as well not bother to direct him elsewhere when I am clearly willing to assist here.
!