GPU not detected, fan working (have tried many solutions)

Quizmaster

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Hello everybody,

First of all, let me say I've trawled through a tonne of threads on here and they have helped me no end to attempt (and fail) to diagnose a problem I have.

I have just bought a new computer. For exact specifications, you can find it here:
http://www.expresspcparts.com.au/Items/pc-038-alt-corei5-2400-8g-1tb?sck=28315612&caSKU=pc-038-alt-corei5-2400-8g-1tb&caTitle=Intel%20Core%20i5-2400%20quadcore%2c%208GB%20DDR3%2c%20500GB%20HDD%2c%20DVD-RW%20PC%20HDMI%20%28Value%20Edition%29#.T27sn9W_61s

Now, I've got this system with an eye to slowly upgrading through the years - like I did with my old one. Hence, it's a "value" system (as they say), rather than premium. I got Win 7 64bit with it (which was pre-installed).

Now here is where the problem comes in.

I have two GPUs, an oldish one hanging on from my old system (Radeon HD5870) and a new one (AMD HD6570). Neither of them are working (I only want ONE in there, not both).

[Edit] Sorry, I'm tired after trying to fix this for the last two and a half days. What I'm trying to say is that I would like either GPU in my new system. When I say "both" I mean I've put one in, then when that didn't work I put the other in. Sorry, just so frustrated and tired! [/edit]

Both do not require an extra 6-pin attachment from the PSU (I think). I've tried both in the PCI-E (2.0) slot. Both are snug in, both have the fans going, NEITHER are being detected by Win Hardware. There is also no output from either of them via either a VGA or the HDMI. I have no BSOD, no flickering on the screen - nothing whatsoever is coming out of the PCI-E slot. I download Catalyst CC (to grab the latest drivers) and it won't install properly (I guess because the system doesn't even think a card is plugged in).

Here's what I have done in an effort to find answers:

1) Looked at my PSU - it states a max output of 500w, so it should (at least) detect the card.
2) Told the BIOS to select the PCI-E first (I can't disable Onboard, I can only give preference to PCI-E).
3) Disabled the High Definition Audio card (some threads suggested that there was an IRQ conflict)
4) Tried the GPUs in my old system (the 5870 worked, the 6770 had output).
5) Searched in vain to find the PSU connector pin for either...only to whack my forehead 30 minutes later when I realised neither had to be connected that way
6) reinstalled windows
7) Uninstalled onboard graphics (yay for VGA! I feel like I'm back in the 90s)
8) Driver swept and cleared old installations
9) sat through 90 odd Windows 7 updates.

And now, after a full weekend, I've thrown my hands up in the air and almost given up. The one conclusion I can reach is that the PCI-E slot is faulty on the Mobo, BUT why would the fans turn then?

Gah! I need help! Please?

Thanks in advance.

Both do not require an extra 6-pin attachment from the PSU (I think).

The 5870 requires not one but two 6 pin power connectors

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5870/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5870-overview.aspx#3

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended

Th 6770 requires one (in different locations of your post you called it both a 6570 and 6770)

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6770/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6770-overview.aspx#3

450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended

Quizmaster

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Hi Jack,

Good pick up on both of those. I got so frustrated and tired I might have overlooked the simple "forgot to attach the pin" power issue (and tiredness explains why I called it a different card in different parts of my post). *sigh* Sometimes the simple solution is the correct one.

I'll note this down to look for when I get home from work.

Ya see, this is why I posted here. You guys are brilliant. Thanks!

Quizmaster

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Ok, so here we go.

First of all, got both cards slightly wrong. I was going off the drivers I had installed, rather than the actual manufacturer. So I had

Gigabyte Radeon HD 5670
XFX HD 6670

Neither have psu connection sockets on the card.

One after the other, I've pulled and used the cards in my old system. Both worked fine.

So...I'm left with the PCI-E slot being damaged during delivery, or DOA in some fashion.

Can somebody confirm this, so I'll mark this thread as solved and leave it for some other poor dude who has had the same problems as me, to stop this happening?
http://xkcd.com/979/

Thanks for the help so far!

Latest posts