Why not use an iPod as an X360 HD?

I watched the GC 2005 conference today, and the X360 recognizes an iPod
by its name, and reads its playlists and library like iTunes does. So
why not use *it* as an external HD for the X360? You can even stream
music from the iPod while playing your games, so who'll need the X360
HD for that functionality (theoretically speaking)?

You know, Microsoft *could* make it so an iPod could be used instead of
the $99 X360 HD, but they probably won't. Thank goodness for hackers
and homebrew. ;-)

perfect

"Hillbilly J. Duncequeer" <bjd@com.net.org> wrote in message
>I watched the GC 2005 conference today, and the X360 recognizes an iPod
> by its name, and reads its playlists and library like iTunes does. So
> why not use *it* as an external HD for the X360? You can even stream
> music from the iPod while playing your games, so who'll need the X360
> HD for that functionality (theoretically speaking)?

A few issues with this idea. Even if you could save data to an iPod, you
still wouldn't be getting all of the benefits the real Xbox 360 HDD offers,
you'd just have one huge memory card. Whether that's important is up to you
to decide. I'd rather get the benefits that come with the HDD...and if I
could use something like an iPod to save game data...well then that's just
tits. I don't think it's public knowledge what kind of file system the 360
supports but this could potentially be an issue. The HDD probably has
multiple partitions like today's Xbox... a partition for Xbox Live market
place data, game saves, content download, one partition specifically for
game caching, etc. These multiple partitions would be difficult to
replicate on an iPod...that is if you still also want to use it as a
portable music player as well. Obviously the HDD will also contain all the
additional info (probably within its own partition) required to play first
generation Xbox games, etc.

> You know, Microsoft *could* make it so an iPod could be used instead of
> the $99 X360 HD, but they probably won't. Thank goodness for hackers
> and homebrew. ;-)

Any memory/storage device connected to the USB ports on the Xbox 360 is
essentially read only...though Microsoft could easily change this via a Live
update if they wanted to. Who knows what hackers will do and what security
measures Microsoft has built into the Xbox 360..but I'd imagine any attempts
to undermine the security of the Xbox 360 will screw users out of the 360's
and individual games Live components.

"J Allard (Expert):
Q: Can a USB Memory been used by the xbox 360??(I'm asking this because the
360 has USB ports)
A: at present our design for xbox 360 uses the usb ports in a read-only
capacity for playing music and viewing photos. if there are other
applications that you guys think are interesting then please give us your
feedback."

http://www.major-nelson.com/blogcast/2005/jallardchat-8-21-05.txt

Jordan

Based on what Allard said in his interview... You can use USB HDs in a
read only format. The 360 cannot write to them. :^(

Still, there is a possibility that MadCatz or someone will come out
with 3rd party HDs for the 360.

- Jordan

Perfect wrote:

< snip >

When starting this thread I'd considered what you said about how the
X360 drive would be partitioned and configured. I know it wouldn't be
so easy to use an iPod in the manner I suggested. But after watching
the demo of iPod --> X360 connectivity the pie-eyed optimist in me
couldn't help but wonder.

At the GC 2005 conference the Microsoft rep also demo'd PSP --> X360
connectivity. The only thing accessible was a folder of images, though.
But again, homebrewers will probably come up with some nifty things for
the X360 to do with iPods and PSPs.

stuart

wouldn't the xbox hard disk be much cheaper than an ipod???

Also likely to be an issue formatting it... know that my xp pc has a flap
and runs disk frag if the ipod is connected at boot up...

sounds a more expensive workaround...

Stuart

Stuart wrote:

> sounds a more expensive workaround.

I meant if you already owned an iPod, to use it as an X360 HD if it
were possible, not to go and buy a new iPod for the purpose. :)