I'm resisting upgrading to SP2

I'm running a machine that I use for music production, and it's highly
optimized. I've been hearing concerns about upgrading to SP2 and
disruption of various software programs I'm using.

http://techrepublic.com.com/1200-22-5303956.html?tag=nl.e064

Also, just recently, after installing the 1394 interface 'upgrade', I
have had nothing but problems with the system telling me I am running
out of USB 'resources', and I now get crashes when starting applications
that use my USB port interfaces.

How can I reset my USB/1394 resources? It's been a while since I did
the upgrade, and it may be too long ago to revert back.

Thanks,

Greg

Good for you! The installation of Service Pack 2 is not required. At
least, not yet it isn't. I have not installed it and I don't intend to do
so for a few more months, at least. As for your 1394 upgrade that you
downloaded, you should be able to find that in Add/Remove Programs if you
can remember what the KB number was. You may be able to do a Google search
for "1394 upgrade" and find the KB number.

"siriusbliss" <junkdrop1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running a machine that I use for music production, and it's highly
> optimized. I've been hearing concerns about upgrading to SP2 and
> disruption of various software programs I'm using.
>
> http://techrepublic.com.com/1200-22-5303956.html?tag=nl.e064
>
> Also, just recently, after installing the 1394 interface 'upgrade', I
> have had nothing but problems with the system telling me I am running
> out of USB 'resources', and I now get crashes when starting applications
> that use my USB port interfaces.
>
> How can I reset my USB/1394 resources? It's been a while since I did
> the upgrade, and it may be too long ago to revert back.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

yes I've been taking this approach. Still tracking it down, but
reverting will probably be the only real fix.

Thanks,

Greg

*****

Kevin wrote:
> Good for you! The installation of Service Pack 2 is not required. At
> least, not yet it isn't. I have not installed it and I don't intend to do
> so for a few more months, at least. As for your 1394 upgrade that you
> downloaded, you should be able to find that in Add/Remove Programs if you
> can remember what the KB number was. You may be able to do a Google search
> for "1394 upgrade" and find the KB number.
>
> "siriusbliss" <junkdrop1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I'm running a machine that I use for music production, and it's highly
>>optimized. I've been hearing concerns about upgrading to SP2 and
>>disruption of various software programs I'm using.
>>
>>http://techrepublic.com.com/1200-22-5303956.html?tag=nl.e064
>>
>>Also, just recently, after installing the 1394 interface 'upgrade', I
>>have had nothing but problems with the system telling me I am running
>>out of USB 'resources', and I now get crashes when starting applications
>> that use my USB port interfaces.
>>
>>How can I reset my USB/1394 resources? It's been a while since I did
>>the upgrade, and it may be too long ago to revert back.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Greg

You may need a Powered USB Hub.
"siriusbliss" <junkdrop1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running a machine that I use for music production, and it's highly
> optimized. I've been hearing concerns about upgrading to SP2 and
> disruption of various software programs I'm using.
>
> http://techrepublic.com.com/1200-22-5303956.html?tag=nl.e064
>
> Also, just recently, after installing the 1394 interface 'upgrade', I have
> had nothing but problems with the system telling me I am running out of
> USB 'resources', and I now get crashes when starting applications that use
> my USB port interfaces.
>
> How can I reset my USB/1394 resources? It's been a while since I did the
> upgrade, and it may be too long ago to revert back.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

Hi,

You might want to completely backup your system and then do a SP2 upgrade. If you are running some
specialied software which you fear might be affected by SP2, you might want to call up the software
vendor's tech support and confirm with them if the software is compatible under SP2 or not.

>Also, just recently, after installing the 1394 interface 'upgrade'
This point is not quite clear. Did you do a software or a hardware upgrade ?

You should definitely install Service pack 2 since it has numerous bug fixes and it enhances your
protection against various trojans and worms. More enhancements found in SP2 can be learnt about
here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2chngs.mspx

If you have more specific questions, please post them here.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"siriusbliss" <junkdrop1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running a machine that I use for music production, and it's highly optimized. I've been
> hearing concerns about upgrading to SP2 and disruption of various software programs I'm using.
>
> http://techrepublic.com.com/1200-22-5303956.html?tag=nl.e064
>
> Also, just recently, after installing the 1394 interface 'upgrade', I have had nothing but
> problems with the system telling me I am running out of USB 'resources', and I now get crashes
> when starting applications that use my USB port interfaces.
>
> How can I reset my USB/1394 resources? It's been a while since I did the upgrade, and it may be
> too long ago to revert back.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

Greg;
Hopefully you are researching the "disruption of various software programs".
Otherwise if the time comes when something you get requires SP-2, you may be
in for a shock.
There is nothing wrong with waiting as long as you have a plan and research
potential issues.
Otherwise waiting and wasting time are the same.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/