Help needed for upgrade path.

APSK

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
Hello,
upgrade needed from hd4770 to a better graphic card.

Requirements:-dx11 to play atleast high settings for bf3,shift2,stronghold 3,skyrim.and if possible some entry level 3d & 2d cad & analysis,photoshop support(for learning purpose) would be a welcomed benefit

-->; my sys is : c2d e7400,stock intel g31.17" VGA Samsung monitor.will be upgrading psu and cabinet along with the graphic card.
-->; Main concern is gpu bottlenecking,and if any problems with dx11 & vista 32bit combo?
-->; currently eying on hd 6870/hd 6950/hd 7770/gtx 560ti/gtx 570/gtx 560ti 448cuda.
no particular "loyalty" with amd/nvidia brands

Buying time is most probably before may 2012.

Opinions on psu and cabinet are also welcome.
As far as upgrading of cpu is concerned,i am thinking of lga 2011 upgrade path,but not before oct 2012.So products that i'll be buying now,should be good for atleast 2yrs from now,and ofcourse compatible with lga 2011(which i think shouldn't be a problem).

Budget:as low as possible without compromising my requirements.
Also i'd like to mention that i am from India,so i'll be buying from local dealers,and parts availability shouldn't be a concern as the local dealers claim that they can get the parts shipped from overseas as well.

you should start looking for parts in may 2012, then. ivy bridge is rumored to debut near the end of april, so some things might change then. new kepler cards might come out then too.
right now, sandy bridge (lga 1155) and sandy bridge e(lga 2011) offer best performance. sb-e is much pricier than sb.
for your games, apps and 2 year performance,
gfx card- radeon hd 6950 2gb or radeon hd 7870 2 gb or whatever kepler equivalent, if it outperforms and undercuts 7870.
cpu - intel core i5 2500k/2600k/3570k(ivy bridge)
motherboard - asus p8z68v pro gen 3/ asus z75 mobo(ivy bridge).
psu - at least a corsair builder cx 500 v2.
case - cooler master haf 912..? idk, it should be personal choice.

APSK

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012

Hmm,thanks for the info.
I was thinking of upgrading the gpu,psu and the cabinet first.
for gpu,i'd go for hd 6950,but as ati cards don't support physx i'm inclined to buy nvidia cards which is most probably 560 ti,i'll go for 560ti sli,if needed in future.
As for cpu upgrade is concerned,i think i7 3820k with a good lga 2011 board(asus or gigabyte) should be better as compared to 2600k + p67/z68 mobo mainly because of quad channel ram and pci-e 3.0 support for heavy computing required by CAD & CAA and as for other build options my choices:

HDD: most probably 2*1tb WD/seagate hdd or even hybrid hdd if its available by the end of this year.
can go for ssd if its more powerful and reliable.

Case & psu: HAF X & corsair HX 850/750W

Monitor:23" dell/samsung which ever available at the time of purchase.

CPU,RAM,MOBO:i7 3820k+asus mobo+gskill/hyperX 4*4gb ddr3 1600mhz/1866mhz

but these options are for later on,for now main concern is graphic card & psu+case according to the gpu.
with the release of hd7xxx & gtx6xx series,the prices on older counterparts should go down by may 2012,

you should start looking for parts in may 2012
Also I have some budget to buy gpu+case+psu right now,so what are your suggestions for it?
Also would it be better to buy the complete pc parts later on,around oct 2012?
or should i start collecting parts with best price(as soon it goes down to a lower stable price)?
What do you think?

Also i'd like to add that i can wait for another year or so for a new cpu+mobo,but i currently need a new power supply and case,as my older parts are starting to show their age.and with the new case a good gpu wouldn't hurt as it would up my performance for another year or so.

APSK

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012

Don't get the wrong idea,i do want to buy a new gpu,that to by may 2012

Forget LGA2011, way overpriced crap. Stick with s1155.
So the features like quad channel,pci-e 3.0 etc are useless???. I need a new CPU for both gaming and 3d modelling(CAD & CAA),so as far as my knowledge about cad goes,more processing power & memory bandwidth from both cpu and gpu you have,better is the performance of these cad software's.
Do correct me if i am wrong....and thanks for this "generous" reply.

APSK

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
Hmmm,well no answers,eh?.....well then i guess i'll wait for ivy bridge,and maybe 660ti will be out too,and hopefully the prices of hd 7xxx series go down a little bit....
oh well thanks for the replies & info.