Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Looking for a Video Card on a 280w PSU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 25, 2012 1:45:50 PM

Hi, I have a Dell Optiplex 745 (Desktop not the Minitower) bought from ebay and I'm looking for a video card for it. Although it only has a 280w PSU :(  Any suggestion on a low profile graphics card with a 256 or 512mb that can maybe run Left 4 Dead or Skyrim. I know there is but I don't know exactly which ones that i can run on my system. Help the poor guy out please :??: 

More about : video card 280w psu

March 25, 2012 1:48:13 PM

Well, it really depends. I Google'd your system and it shows many form factors. Is your computer case a small form factor, or a normal tower size. This is a big fact when considering video cards.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 25, 2012 2:00:24 PM

Alright, so either way whether you have the Desktop or the Small Form, it's still considered a small form factor. There aren't that many really good cards that are small form factor, if you have the money, I suggest that you buy a new case and power supply so that you have room to upgrade in the future, rather than stick with a small form factor. That is unless you are not a hardcore gamer.

Nevertheless, here is a list on Newegg of small form factor video cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600038364%20600001667&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Order=RATING&PageSize=20
m
0
l
March 25, 2012 2:26:51 PM

I see, Yeah i was thinkin of buying a new case and a PSU but i dont have much money to do all that . So im looking at this 5450 not quite sure which one to get any suggestions which one on the link you gave me.
m
0
l
a c 359 U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 2:59:58 PM

You'll be limited to a low-profile card since the desktop version is a "slimline" design. Your PSU is likely to be a mini ITX format, therefore the most powerful PSU you can install will likely be 400w.

The Radeon HD 5450 is not going to provided much of a performance boost for you. The Intel HD 3000 is basically equal to the Radeon HD 5450. It's also DX10.1 as opposed to DX11 for the Radeon HD 5450, but the HD 5450 is too weak to take advantage of DX11 effects anyway.

Dell PSU's have traditionally been slightly more powerful than what's listed in the specs. If there was a low profile version of the HD 7750 (which was recently released), then I would recommend that card to you. However, there isn't one yet and probably won't be for several months. Theefore, my recommendation would be the following Radeon HD 6670 for $85 (after rebate) + shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you wish to spend less money, then consider the following Radeon HD 6570 for $45 (after rebate) + shipping. It is nearly equal to the performance of the Radeon HD 5670; so close you need benchmark score to tell the difference. It is basically about 12% slower than the Radeon HD 6670.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 3:00:08 PM

i got this for my son's computer, its small and pretty powerful considering the price. i can run about anything on his computer if you put the settings on medium.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It runs really low temperatures and it is easily overclocked to 825mhz core 800mhz memory. It does recommend a 300 watt PSU though.
m
0
l
a c 359 U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 3:08:16 PM

stickg1 said:
i got this for my son's computer, its small and pretty powerful considering the price. i can run about anything on his computer if you put the settings on medium.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It runs really low temperatures and it is easily overclocked to 825mhz core 800mhz memory. It does recommend a 300 watt PSU though.


The nVidia GT 430 is actually slower than the Radeon HD 5670 / HD 6570. The following review contains benchmark results for the GT 430, HD 5670 and HD 6670. Note that the test rig has a Core i7-980 @ 3.80GHz.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_6670/5.html
m
0
l
March 25, 2012 3:15:48 PM

Read the Toms Gpu March recommendations.
The HD 7750 is the "strongest" card that does not need power supply connections. I think it requires PCIe 2.0 x 16 and is not backwards compatible with PCIe 1.1 x 16.
Dell does not appear to specify, which would means check card reviews and you may have to contact customer service.
The GTS 440 DDR5 or HD 5670 or 6670 would be my card of choice if you cannot use the HD 7750.
The 5450 is a rebadged 4350 I think, you want a 5570 at a minimum .

The above should be available in small form factor, I know the GTS440 and 5670/6670 are.

Free Sonic game coupon w/ purchase, limited offerSAPPHIRE 100326LP Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card newegg $100

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 3:35:29 PM

do you think he can run a 6670? If I were him i'd probably just get a $40 400watt psu at a best buy and get a 6670. Especially if hes trying to play skyrim or left for dead. Thats just me though, I hate spending $100 and being hungry for more when I could have spent $150 and been completely satisfied.
m
0
l
March 25, 2012 8:22:46 PM

Do you think i can run that 6570? even though i have a 280w? im still not quite not sure if i would run it. I'm just trying to play Left 4 Dead 2. My budget is only like $40 just to get a video card :( 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 8:28:06 PM

T-Raw said:
Do you think i can run that 6570? even though i have a 280w? im still not quite not sure if i would run it. I'm just trying to play Left 4 Dead 2. My budget is only like $40 just to get a video card :( 
It depends. How many amps can your PSU provide? Take a pic of the PSU label and post it here if you're not sure.
Usually 220w can run a 6570 fine. Just don't think about overclocking.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 8:50:40 PM

Are you sure? AMD recommends 400 watt or greater for the 6570.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 8:54:03 PM

stickg1 said:
Are you sure? AMD recommends 400 watt or greater for the 6570.
Yes I'm positive because I'm running a 6570 on 240w PSU right now. I can play L4D2 @ medium to high settings no problem.
AMD recommends 400w because they want to make sure that people won't experience too little power on the worst case scenario. Your system is fairly low power so you can run a 6570 fine.
m
0
l
March 25, 2012 8:55:14 PM

Max I would say is the Radeon 5570. Worked fine on my 220w power supply and its low profile. Some versions don't even have a fan.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 8:57:19 PM

Ah and I just read that the 6570 uses 60w peak power so yeah that makes since it oughtta run just fine. It would make sense for AMD to say 400w also. Well dude I think you found a good card for your purposes. I think they're $60 though
m
0
l
March 25, 2012 9:05:19 PM

e56imfg said:
It depends. How many amps can your PSU provide? Take a pic of the PSU label and post it here if you're not sure.
Usually 220w can run a 6570 fine. Just don't think about overclocking.


Here so you could guys see what i have and what video card i can be able to use with.

m
0
l
a c 159 U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 10:04:51 PM

Hi:
If you're going to upgrade you should get a new Power Supply. If that requires a new case then you should get that.

Basically you should either bite the bullet and get a new case (if needed), PSU and graphics card.

Personally I wouldn't play Skyrim with less than a GTX560.

*If you decide you are going to get a case+PSU+graphics card I'd be glad to help. The problem is that you'd need to spend roughly $400 at which point is it worth it?
m
0
l
a c 159 U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 10:16:37 PM

*UPDATE:
Your best bet may be an HD7770. That's the ONLY card I could find that might suit your power needs and would be "okay" for Skyrim. Plus, this computer isn't worth spending more on.

I can NOT verify this will work and I can't verify the values, but it seems the MAX power for the HD7770 is 100Watts and the AMPS should fall under 16A.

So.. I think it will work. Try NCIX, Newegg etc for the best value on the HD7770.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 10:30:44 PM

yeh dude but the guy wants to spend $40 and needs a small form factor card. I mean I agree he should scrap the dell and get a whole new rig but clearly thats not in his plans or budget.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 10:52:02 PM

photonboy said:
Hi:
If you're going to upgrade you should get a new Power Supply. If that requires a new case then you should get that.

Basically you should either bite the bullet and get a new case (if needed), PSU and graphics card.

Personally I wouldn't play Skyrim with less than a GTX560.

*If you decide you are going to get a case+PSU+graphics card I'd be glad to help. The problem is that you'd need to spend roughly $400 at which point is it worth it?
Dell uses a retarded PSU system. The 24pin on the OEM PSU and mobo are different from all the quality PSUs. The 24pin connector might fit but you might experience strange system stability, if it even turns on.
m
0
l
March 26, 2012 12:56:46 AM

Well ok sorry if i dont have that decent PSU i have a shitty pc with that 280w and im broke as fk. All i want is just prolly play L4D2 for casual gaming im not trying to play those high end games forget the skyrim. Especially DOTA 2 or HoN that i play most of the time even tho i lag like hell. Ok is there any older video cards that may fit my needs seen some older cards on ebay and some decent ones on newegg but im still not sure which one to get i got confused when you guys keep telling me to upgrade my PSU which i cant cause i only have like $40 to spend on a video card
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 26, 2012 1:03:24 AM

T-Raw said:
Well ok sorry if i dont have that decent PSU i have a shitty pc with that 280w and im broke as fk. All i want is just prolly play L4D2 for casual gaming im not trying to play those high end games forget the skyrim. Especially DOTA 2 or HoN that i play most of the time even tho i lag like hell. Ok is there any older video cards that may fit my needs seen some older cards on ebay and some decent ones on newegg but im still not sure which one to get i got confused when you guys keep telling me to upgrade my PSU which i cant cause i only have like $40 to spend on a video card
The 5570 or the 6570 will do fine.
The 5450 or the 4350 will play those games at playable frame rates.
Share
March 26, 2012 1:25:28 AM

Best answer selected by T-Raw.
m
0
l
March 26, 2012 1:25:48 AM

e56imfg said:
The 5570 or the 6570 will do fine.
The 5450 or the 4350 will play those games at playable frame rates.


Thank you, Sir
m
0
l
March 26, 2012 1:27:33 AM

And Thank so much for everyone for helping me out on some info :) 
m
0
l
!