Dog name

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 14, 2005 2:28:59 AM

Got a new male golden retriever puppy and trying to settle on a name.

My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).

Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?

More about : dog

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 2:29:00 AM

"Zen Cohen" <aturny@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Got a new male golden retriever puppy and trying to settle on a name.
>
> My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
> sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
>
> Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?

I have two brother and sister dogs...
Bubba and Beans...

-Fit their personalities perfectly.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 2:29:00 AM

"Zen Cohen" <aturny@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Got a new male golden retriever puppy and trying to settle on a name.
>
> My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
> sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
>
> Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?
Better name if you're into jazz -- Miles. Also easier to yell out the door
when they get away. Very important. A golden will follow anybody anywhere.
July 14, 2005 2:29:00 AM

"Zen Cohen" <aturny@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Got a new male golden retriever puppy and trying to settle on a name.
>
> My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
> sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
>
> Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?

I have two brother and sister dogs...
Bubba and Beans...

-Fit their personalities perfectly.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 3:03:17 AM

"Zen Cohen" <aturny@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Got a new male golden retriever puppy and trying to settle on a name.
>
> My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
> sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
>
> Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestions and, oops, sorry for the mis-post. This was
supposed to go in rec.pets.dogs.breeds, which is right next to
rec.photo.digital on my newsreader.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 3:24:06 AM

> Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?

Kodak?

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 3:24:07 AM

"Robert Barr" <not@for.harvest> wrote in message

>> Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?
>
> Kodak?

I personally like *ist. Not sure how to pronounce it but it looks cool.

--

Rob
Anonymous

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
> "Robert Barr" <not@for.harvest> wrote in message
>>

>>> Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?
>>
>> Kodak?
>>

> I personally like *ist. Not sure how to pronounce it but it looks
> cool.

Looks like a pucker. So, "Pist". Very good name for a dog.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 5:44:56 AM

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:28:59 GMT, Zen Cohen wrote:

> Got a new male golden retriever puppy and trying to settle on a name.
>
> My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
> sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
>
> Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?

I like his music, but if golden retrievers are anything like Labs,
their personalities would be would be much more like Dizzy
Gillespie, aka Diz, also a good name for a dog. Full of energy,
ebullient, happy, loyal, etc.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 5:53:08 AM

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:52:52 -0600, Sheldon wrote:

> Better name if you're into jazz -- Miles. Also easier to yell out the door
> when they get away. Very important. A golden will follow anybody anywhere.

Why better? Miles followed nobody but his own muse. Now if the
dog is smart and talented, but tends to pay little attention to
commands, and isn't a "happy to see you" kind of dog, then maybe
Miles would be perfect.

If you think you might like reading about a black Lab that would
follow anybody anywhere, check out Hiaasen's "Sick Puppy".
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:15:24 PM

"Zen Cohen" <aturny@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Got a new male golden retriever puppy and trying to settle on a name.
>
> My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
> sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
>
> Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?
Nikon? Canon?
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 3:59:30 PM

"Plonker" <h@isnep.com> wrote
: > Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?
: Nikon? Canon?
:

Flash ?
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 4:04:09 PM

"Zen Cohen" <aturny@hotmail.com> wrote in message
: Got a new male golden retriever puppy and trying to settle on a name.
:
: My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
: sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
:
: Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?
:
Hey :)

It has been my experience that no matter what name I have chosen for a dog,
they always find a way to let you know what their name should be.
The will do something that will cause you to start calling them a certain
name.

You could name the dog Fido, and the next thing you know you are calling it
Piddles all the time instead.

Give the little thing time it will let you know it's name :)

Kate
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 6:34:37 PM

On 7/13/05 5:28 PM, in article LAgBe.141060$6g3.27906@tornado.texas.rr.com,
"Zen Cohen" <aturny@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Got a new male golden retriever puppy and trying to settle on a name.
>
> My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
> sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
>
> Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?

Steve Martin: "What is it, Shithead? Is it a fire, Shithead? Good boy,
Shithead!"
I always loved that name...

July 14, 2005 7:26:18 PM

"George Kerby" <ghost_topper@hotmail.com> wrote
: >
: Steve Martin: "What is it, Shithead? Is it a fire, Shithead? Good boy,
: Shithead!"
: I always loved that name...
:

Along with:
"The new pohone books are here! The new phone books are here!"
July 14, 2005 7:28:16 PM

Call it Stupid.
I worked at a roadhouse years ago that had a cat named Stupid.
"Come here Stupid" yelled at the top of your voice, to stop the cat being
run over, used to get a lot of strange looks from the customers.

--
remove n u m b e r s to reply
Zen Cohen wrote in message ...
>Got a new male golden retriever puppy and trying to settle on a name.
>
>My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
>sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
>
>Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:33:13 AM

In article <LAgBe.141060$6g3.27906@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
"Zen Cohen" <aturny@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Got a new male golden retriever puppy and trying to settle on a name.
>
> My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
> sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
>
> Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?

Nipper! Cos he's small!
July 15, 2005 9:50:33 AM

"SVTKate" <whoever@whatever.complaint.dept> wrote in message

> "Zen Cohen" <aturny@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> : Got a new male golden retriever puppy and trying to settle on a name.
> :
> : My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
> : sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
> :
> : Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?
> :
> Hey :)
>
> It has been my experience that no matter what name I have chosen for a
> dog,
> they always find a way to let you know what their name should be.
> The will do something that will cause you to start calling them a certain
> name.
>
> You could name the dog Fido, and the next thing you know you are calling
> it
> Piddles all the time instead.
>
> Give the little thing time it will let you know it's name :)
>

> Kate

SVT Kate? Hello there.

I encountered a dog whose name, when sounded out was, "DeeOhJhee". However,
it was spelled "Dog". It cracked me up when its owner spelled its name.

Bob
(several digital cameras and one '03 Cobra coupe)
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 6:03:26 AM

"Bob" <nimby1_notspamm_@earthlink.net> wrote i

:
: SVT Kate? Hello there.
:
: I encountered a dog whose name, when sounded out was, "DeeOhJhee".
However,
: it was spelled "Dog". It cracked me up when its owner spelled its name.
:
: Bob
: (several digital cameras and one '03 Cobra coupe)

Hi Ya Bob!
Nicetameetcha!

We used to call our little black lab (Her name was Pepper) Dee Oh Gee
It started because we would spell it so she wouldn't know who we were
talking about.

Oh how funny!
Thanks for the grin :)

Kate
(only one E10 and one ol 98 Cobra Drop Top - you lucky SOB ... an 03!!)
July 16, 2005 12:07:42 PM

Zen Cohen wrote:
> Got a new male golden retriever puppy and trying to settle on a name.
>
> My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
> sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
>
> Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?

Phydough. There is no equal.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

> My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
> sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
> Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?

>Better name if you're into jazz -- Miles

I prefer "Django."
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 2:47:05 AM

Jer wrote:

> Zen Cohen wrote:
>> Got a new male golden retriever puppy and trying to settle on a name.
>>
>> My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
>> sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
>>
>> Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?
>>

> Phydough. There is no equal.

Don't just stop half way. Phydeaux.

--
Nigel Rowe
A pox upon the spammers that make me write my address like..

Nigel Rowe wrote:
> Jer wrote:
>

>>Zen Cohen wrote:
>>
>>>Got a new male golden retriever puppy and trying to settle on a name.
>>>
>>>My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
>>>sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
>>>
>>>Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?
>>>

>>Phydough. There is no equal.
>>

> Don't just stop half way. Phydeaux.

Yeah, I like yours better. :)

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:28:59 GMT, "Zen Cohen" <aturny@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Got a new male golden retriever puppy and trying to settle on a name.
>
>My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
>sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
>
>Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?

I like both names but the dog would like Gus much more than Mingus for
the single syllable aspect of it.

Try to make this short I had a male Golden that turned out to be the
best dog a man could ask for, I spend allot of time training him but
that was a pleasure because you probably know Goldens fall in the
intelligent levels at number 2 or 3 usually 2. I got hurt at work and
was on crutches for nearly a year and that dog never left my side, he
was always partial to me but it got so towards the end of his life
that when someone called him he would look at me and a mere head nod
let him know it was ok to go to the person. He responded to hand
signals played till he couldn't walk anymore.........I know I"m sorry
on and on but if you name that Dog "Blaze" you will give him a head
start in life I promise you.

Another thing dedicate yourself to training both verbal and hand a
well behaved dog is a joy to be around and people do notice believe
me.

I can't own dogs anymore because of my physical problems but I envy
you for certain, you picked a very nice breed.

second choice Blaze third choice Blaze.....lol

Have fun with your golden....

Brad

Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting......." HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:20:14 AM

"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
>> My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
>> sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
>> Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?
>
>>Better name if you're into jazz -- Miles
>
> I prefer "Django."

Django was actually one of the three names we were considering. When my
wife became pregnant, we used Django sorta jokingly as a womb name. It
actually grew on us and we were going to use it as a middle name if it was a
boy. (But we had a girl.)
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 10:22:09 PM

Zen Cohen <aturny@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Got a new male golden retriever puppy and trying to settle on a name.
>
>My favorite name so far: Mingus (After the jazz musician, and because it
>sounds kinda like a dog name; also, Gus for short).
>
>Whaddaya think? Other suggestions?

The scottish name Menzies is also pronounced "mingus" (or "mingis"
really). Doesn't shorten to 'gus' though. "Zed" maybe?

--
Ken Tough
!