Sign in with
Your question

$1500 First Time Build (Including OS + Monitor)

Last response: in Systems
May 26, 2012 9:55:10 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Early June

Budget Range: 66,000 PHP(Philippine Pesos) or $1500 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing Web, Live Streaming, Light Video and Photo Editing

Parts Not Required: Mouse and Speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: If possible PC Express, however I know that they have a limited catalog and Newegg or any other website is fine to get an idea of how much it will cost as I can go to several smaller stores that probably have the part.

Parts Preferences: Intel for sure, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, but I wan't to expand to a 2nd monitor later on.

Additional Comments: I would like the parts to be blue, to match my peripherals. Also, will I need to replace the fans that come with the case and cooler? Or will they be sufficient if I were to overclock my CPU?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Case $100

NZXT Phantom 410(The link is Newegg, but I've seen one in a bunch of smaller stores without websites)
or
Antec 900 Two V3

CPU $240

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge

CPU Cooler $30

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

RAM $50

Kingston Hyper X 8 gb

Motherboard $150

MSI Z77A-G45 I know that many of you are going to suggest ASRock, but there is no ASRock in the Philippines or it is overpriced. If possible MSI or ASUS would be best, as it is the most common.

CD Drive $20

Samsung 22x SH-S223

Video Card $400

MSI GTX670 Is this overkill or will a 7870 suffice?

PSU $110

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W Will a modular power supply help me greatly if it is my first time building, or should I just get a normal one and save money?

Hard Drive $100

1TB Seagate Barracuda

OS $100

Windows 7 Home Premium OEM

Monitor $???

I am looking for at least 24" and willing to spend $230 also I am not limited by the website I provided, so feel free to suggest anything.

TOTAL= $1510 (Assuming the monitor is $200)

Is this build good to go, or is there anything that needs to be changed, and feedback is appreciated and thanks in advance :) 
May 26, 2012 1:29:00 PM

hey the build is looking really good. A couple suggestions though.
-I would go with the NZXT Phantom 410, but I would take the Corsair 500r over it. But i's personal preference. The 410 is good, but has a bug with it's fan controller on the middle setting.

-Make sure your RAM is low profile so your heat sink will fit properly.

-I would keep the 670, it's over kill for now and depending what games you want. but will be more future proof.

-As for the PSU 620W is plenty for your build, however if you want to SLI in the future I would upgrade to a 750W. (if you get the 500r it has such great cable management you wouldn't need modular)

-If you could afford it into your budget, I would look at getting an SSD. Makes boot uploads and loads times a world quicker. Crucial M4 and Mushkin are good cheap options.

m
l
Related resources
May 26, 2012 1:43:32 PM

Thank you for your reply.

-After looking over the Corsair 500R, I feel like it is better than the 410 and 900 V3 and i'll be also looking for a 620W Power Supply instead.

-I'm planning on getting a 120GB SSD in the future when I can afford it.

-Also do you have any suggestions for monitors, as I am currently clueless on what to get.

m
l
May 26, 2012 1:51:34 PM

Yep no problem.

-I would agree with the case choice, it's an amazing case, and is a really good deal right now on newegg.

-And if you do think you might SLI (or put in another GPU) in the future you might want a 750W, would be better to spend the extra $10 instead of buying a new one then. But it really depends on your future plans.

-I might think about getting the SSD before hand, because thats where you will install your OS. So if you install your OS on your HDD now and then in a month get an SSD, you would have to reinstall everything. You could get the SSD now, and then get the HDD later. That might be easier.

-I don't know a whole lot about monitors, but this one has good reviews, is 24", 1080 res. and is a solid brand.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
May 26, 2012 2:59:58 PM

During my time canvasing, I did not see any ASUS monitors in any of the stores. All I saw were Samsung, BenQ and ViewSonic monitors, out of all of those brands, are there any models that are in the $200 price range and stick out?
m
l
May 26, 2012 3:34:28 PM

Bump before I sleep
m
l
May 27, 2012 1:16:46 AM

Just Samsung to me, they make really good products with good customer service. But you also pay a bit for the brand name. So generally are a touch more expensive.
m
l
!