Changing Default MyDocuments

In general the MyDocuments folder is the default folder for everything ....
How can this be changed to a different folder. Are there other dependencies
that are impacted? Reason is reliability and security. Saving documents to
other than the C drive avoids some pitfalls with problems that are best
solved timewise by reimaging the C drive, however if data is present it would
be lost.
--
Unique Operator
12 answers Last reply

    Right-click My Documents|Properties|Target and change the location.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Norm" wrote:
    | In general the MyDocuments folder is the default folder for everything
    | How can this be changed to a different folder. Are there other
    dependencies
    | that are impacted? Reason is reliability and security. Saving documents to
    | other than the C drive avoids some pitfalls with problems that are best
    | solved timewise by reimaging the C drive, however if data is present it
    would
    | be lost.
    | --
    | Unique Operator

    Hi,

    You can change the location of the My Documents folder. Right click on My Documents and select
    properties. Under the Target tab, click on Move and select the new location of the My Documents
    folder.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!

    "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In general the MyDocuments folder is the default folder for everything ....
    > How can this be changed to a different folder. Are there other dependencies
    > that are impacted? Reason is reliability and security. Saving documents to
    > other than the C drive avoids some pitfalls with problems that are best
    > solved timewise by reimaging the C drive, however if data is present it would
    > be lost.
    > --
    > Unique Operator

    How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder:

    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:541CDDDA-6A3E-46EF-A8A4-F5B4450D9127@microsoft.com...
    In general the MyDocuments folder is the default folder for everything .....
    How can this be changed to a different folder. Are there other dependencies
    that are impacted? Reason is reliability and security. Saving documents to
    other than the C drive avoids some pitfalls with problems that are best
    solved timewise by reimaging the C drive, however if data is present it would
    be lost.
    --
    Unique Operator

    Ramesh, is there any way to create another "My Documents" folder, i.e., My
    Documents2 or something, so you can have 2 different targets that are given
    the same special display priveleges in Windows Explorer, i.e., displayed at
    the top of the shell hierarchy?

    How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder:

    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    In general the MyDocuments folder is the default folder for everything ....
    How can this be changed to a different folder. Are there other dependencies
    that are impacted? Reason is reliability and security. Saving documents to
    other than the C drive avoids some pitfalls with problems that are best
    solved timewise by reimaging the C drive, however if data is present it
    would
    be lost.
    --
    Unique Operator

    Bruce,

    It's possible, using the same old technique of creating a namespace icon in the Desktop and routing it to a real folder. This utility does the job perfectly. http://www.tropictech.de/software/shellobject/

    As for the "the top of the shell hierarchy", there is another key/value to be added, after a small manipulation of the sort order values. This has to be done manually.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Bruce Hendry" <bruce@binya.com> wrote in message news:C2SFd.17616$iC4.11127@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
[...]

    Thanks Ramesh, this is perfect. Can you point me in the right direction to
    figure out the sort order values; I'm scouring the registry but can't find
    an obvious answer.

[...]

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{namespace-GUID}
    SortOrderIndex (REG_DWORD value)

    Ex: http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/6232a.asp

    This value decides the placement of the special icon in Desktop / W.Explorer. Try setting SortOrderIndex value to 1, so that the special icon occupies the top most position in the folder pane.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Bruce Hendry" <bruce@binya.com> wrote in message news:u3VFd.17663$iC4.8618@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
    Thanks Ramesh, this is perfect. Can you point me in the right direction to
    figure out the sort order values; I'm scouring the registry but can't find
    an obvious answer.

    Bruce,

    It's possible, using the same old technique of creating a namespace icon in
    the Desktop and routing it to a real folder. This utility does the job
    perfectly. http://www.tropictech.de/software/shellobject/

    As for the "the top of the shell hierarchy", there is another key/value to
    be added, after a small manipulation of the sort order values. This has to
    be done manually.

    Thanks for taking the time, Ramesh, you've been a great help.

[...]

    Most welcome Bruce. Glad to be of help!

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Bruce Hendry" <bruce@binya.com> wrote in message news:meaId.21855$iC4.16397@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
    Thanks for taking the time, Ramesh, you've been a great help.

    Bruce,

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{namespace-GUID}
    SortOrderIndex (REG_DWORD value)
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    There is no Target under Properties under My Documents on my machine.

    "Norm" wrote:

    > In general the MyDocuments folder is the default folder for everything ....
    > How can this be changed to a different folder. Are there other dependencies
    > that are impacted? Reason is reliability and security. Saving documents to
    > other than the C drive avoids some pitfalls with problems that are best
    > solved timewise by reimaging the C drive, however if data is present it would
    > be lost.
    > --
    > Unique Operator
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Hello,

    I am a little late to this thread but I tried it and it worked, pretty much.
    Word looks for the 'new' My Documents folder, but other applications still
    choose the old location as the default.

    I suppose I could custom set the location in each application, but it seems
    as if the system should know that there is a new location for the My
    Documents folder.

    Also is there someway to delete the My Documents folder from the original
    location? Mine is rather large and to have two of them is taking up needless
    space.

    Thank you.

    Jerry

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder:

    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:541CDDDA-6A3E-46EF-A8A4-F5B4450D9127@microsoft.com...
    > In general the MyDocuments folder is the default folder for everything .....
    > How can this be changed to a different folder. Are there other dependencies
    > that are impacted? Reason is reliability and security. Saving documents to
    > other than the C drive avoids some pitfalls with problems that are best
    > solved timewise by reimaging the C drive, however if data is present it would
    > be lost.
    > --
    > Unique Operator

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Jerry,

    Perhaps some of the applications that you use are hard-coded to this path,
    for the My Documents folder:

    %userprofile%\My Documents

    In that case, you need to contact the support team of that particular
    application(s).

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am a little late to this thread but I tried it and it worked, pretty
    > much.
    > Word looks for the 'new' My Documents folder, but other applications still
    > choose the old location as the default.
    >
    > I suppose I could custom set the location in each application, but it
    > seems
    > as if the system should know that there is a new location for the My
    > Documents folder.
    >
    > Also is there someway to delete the My Documents folder from the original
    > location? Mine is rather large and to have two of them is taking up
    > needless
    > space.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Jerry
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147/EN-US/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> In general the MyDocuments folder is the default folder for everything
    >> How can this be changed to a different folder. Are there other
    >> dependencies
    >> that are impacted? Reason is reliability and security. Saving documents
    >> other than the C drive avoids some pitfalls with problems that are best
    >> solved timewise by reimaging the C drive, however if data is present it
    >> would
    >> be lost.
    >> --
    >> Unique Operator

Configuration Default Customization Windows XP