  • Microsoft
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
January 13, 2005 10:33:47 PM

How do you make it the default for folders to open up with the tree on the
left instead of the blue "Common Tasks" pane.

I know you can click the Folders button, but I don't want to have to do that
every time.

Thanks

More about : open windows folders view

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 10:33:48 PM

Edit the shortcut's "Target" to read
%systemroot%\explorer.exe /e,E:\
where E:\ is the drive and or directory you wish to expand.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Brad Pool" wrote:
| How do you make it the default for folders to open up with the tree on the
| left instead of the blue "Common Tasks" pane.
|
| I know you can click the Folders button, but I don't want to have to do
that
| every time.
|
| Thanks

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 10:33:48 PM

Right click my computer and select properties. On the advanced tab, select
performance settings. On the visual effects tab, scroll down the list and
uncheck 'use common tasks in folders'.

"Brad Pool" <brapoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> How do you make it the default for folders to open up with the tree on the
> left instead of the blue "Common Tasks" pane.
>
> I know you can click the Folders button, but I don't want to have to do
> that every time.
>
> Thanks

January 13, 2005 10:33:48 PM

Set Explore as default.

Under...
Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
File Types tab | Scroll down to and Select: (NONE) Folder |
Advanced button | Highlight: explore | Set Default | OK |
Apply | OK

Set Default
[[Sets the selected command as the command to be carried out when the file
is invoked.
The default command for the file is shown in bold on the shortcut menu for
the file.]]

This may change some other things that you may not like.

Remember what you did so you can change the default back to Open.
===

How folders open depends on a number of things.

Depends on the combination of...

? Show common tasks in folders
[[Specifies that hyperlinks to common folder tasks and other places on your
computer are displayed in folders. These links appear in the left pane of
the folder window.]]

? Use Windows classic folders
[[Specifies that folder contents are displayed like classic Windows folders,
which means that folder contents do not look and work like Web pages.]]

? Open each folder in the same window
[[Specifies that the contents of each folder open in the same window. To
switch back to the previous folder, click the Back button on the toolbar, or
press BACKSPACE.]]

? Open each folder in its own window
[[Specifies that the contents of each folder open in a new window. The
previous folder content still appears in a different window, so you can
switch between the windows.]]

Under...
Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
General tab |

Whether Explore or Open is set as default.

Under...
Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
File Types tab | Scroll down to and Select: (NONE) Folder |
Advanced button |

This effects how double click or single click handles opening a folder.

? Single-click to open an item (point to select)
[[Specifies that you want to open items in folders and on the desktop by
single-clicking them, just as you would click a link on a Web page. To
select an item without opening it, rest your pointer on it.]]

? Double-click to open an item (single-click to select)
[[Specifies that you want to single-click an item to select it and
double-click an item to open it.]]

Open and Explore are different.

Explore opens folders with Folders pane on the left.
Open opens folders with common tasks showing on the left.

Again that depends on all the settings above.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:v2AFd.6044$C52.1714@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net,
Brad Pool <brapoo@earthlink.net> hunted and pecked:
> How do you make it the default for folders to open up with the tree
> on the left instead of the blue "Common Tasks" pane.
>
> I know you can click the Folders button, but I don't want to have to
> do that every time.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 10:28:56 PM

That was exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

Anonymous
January 14, 2005 10:28:57 PM

You betcha. Keep having fun. :-)

--