Sign in with
Your question

Mistress Zaida Hypno-PC Home-Build!

Last response: in Systems
May 26, 2012 11:58:15 AM

Hello!

I'm a Hypnodomme. So I know a lot about erotic hypnosis but very little about building a computer. Still, I'm giving it a go :D 

I need my computer for my work, mostly audio and video production.

Approximate Purchase Date: I've just got the CPU, the motherboard and the GFX card. Hopefullly getting the other bits soon!

Budget Range: Erm... not too fussed, don't want to waste money but I guess the some of the expensive stuff has been bought already.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Audio production, Video rendering.

Parts Not Required: I just bought a new mouse. Guess I don't need a mouse!

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon.co.uk (there's a reason it has to be amazon - unless it's for any of the cheapest bits)

Parts Preferences: I'll list the parts I have already and want underneath this bit

Overclocking: Yes if it's easy and safe for a girl to perform such a feat ;) 

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe one day, but at the moment it's one gfx card only

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 if I keep my current monitor, although I'm open to upgrade suggestions

Additional Comments: I don't need a soundcard (I have a MOTU Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid already). I'm not too fussed about a completely silent PC as you might think (I record with my laptop in another room so there's no noise, then produce on my desktop).

THE BITS I HAVE ALREADY:

Intel BX80619I73930K Core i7-3930K 6-Core Processor (3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), Socket 2011, 12MB L3 Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0)

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Intel x79 2011 Motherboard (PCI-E 3.0 x16, DDR3 1600, SATA, RAID, ATX)

Palit GeForce GTX 680 Jetstream Graphics Card (4GB GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0, 1084MHz-1150MHz​, 6300MHz
)

THE BITS I'M INTENDING TO GET SOON:

2 x Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB internal Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache 7200RPM – OEM (in Raid 0 I think - these are for current projects I work on)

2 x 2Tb SATA Hard disks (I have these already actually. These will be for overall backup to move completed projects to)

Intel SSD 520 Series 2.5 inch 120GB 6GB/S MLC Resell 25nm Solid State Drive (for OS and programs)

Corsair CMPSU-850AXUK Professional Series Gold 850W Power Supply

Cosair Special Edition Graphite Series 600T Mid-Tower Gaming Case - White

Corsair CWCH100 Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance CPU Cooler

G Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB DDR3 PC17000 2133MHz Kit for Intel X79 Quad Channel Platforms

MY QUESTIONS:

Will all those bits go together well? Any changes?

I know about the H100 issue. Has that been solved? Is there an easy fix now? I read something about M4 screws or something?

Do I need more RAM? Is it worth going to 32 Gb? If so, 8 x 4Gb or 4 x 8Gb? Will I ever need to have 64Gb? I'm hoping to have this computer a long time ;) 

Is my case big enough? For all my hard drives I want in there?

Do I need a cooler for the GTX 680? How about a different GFX card altogether? I'm awaiting delivery from Amazon, could be a while so I could always change it if needed.

Any other bits I'll need?

Any advice for when I'm builiding it?

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Mistress Zaida

May 26, 2012 12:21:19 PM

This is all fine, but it's ridiculously, hilariously overpowered for non-animation media work. A $1000 processor? Who the heck gave you that idea? A $220 2500K would have been more than enough. A $500 680? You don't need more than a $100 6770. The motherboard is also pointlessly expensive; a $120 ASRock Z68 Extreme3 would have done you just as well. If you can, and if you're not ever going to use this for gaming, cancel all the orders for the things you have already and save yourself a ton of money. We can work out the other parts after we figure out what you're set on getting.
May 26, 2012 2:11:03 PM

Ha ha, yes, hilarious I'm sure ;-)

Your concern is truly touching, kajabla.

However, a few points:

1) I already own an i7 and a 6770. When I attempt any sort of complex rendering (such as 5 chroma-keyed overdubs, for example) it can sometimes take 12 hours to render less than a minute of footage. Part of where I want to take my new projects - is in the direction of multi-layered, psychedelic video. Which will require the fastest possible computer, and best graphics card. I am looking to spend the LEAST possible time waiting for anything to render when I'm experimenting. Time is the most precious thing we have.

2) I'm looking to build something at least a little bit future-proof. Something that will last a few years.

3) Money is not an issue in this particular case. The big parts are being generously bought for me by my loyal fans (a huge thank you to the three people who each bought the CPU, GTX680 and motherboard for me yesterday) Naturally, I may take it upon myself to buy the thermal paste, but that's where I draw the line :D 

So, to return back to the matter in hand, and to clarify to save time:

I am looking to build the fastest possible computer, roughly based on the above specs.

My Questions (all important but especially 2 and 5 I guess)

1) Will all those bits go together well? Any changes?

2) I know about the H100 issue. Has that been solved? Is there an easy fix now? I read something about M4 screws or something?

3) Do I need more RAM? Is it worth going to 32 Gb? If so, 8 x 4Gb or 4 x 8Gb? Will I ever need to have 64Gb? I'm hoping to have this computer a long time ;) 

4) Is my case big enough? For all my hard drives I want in there?

5) Do I need a cooler for the GTX 680? How about a different GFX card altogether? I'm awaiting delivery from Amazon, could be a while so I could always change it if needed. I don't mind adding some cash and say, swapping for two of those 7970's (but on the other hand I could add another GTX680 one day when the price drops on them)

6) Any other bits I'll need?

7) Any advice for when I'm building it?

Many thanks for helping with these questions!
Related resources
May 26, 2012 2:59:27 PM

Quote:
1) Will all those bits go together well? Any changes?

I think you are good. I'm not a fan of the Intel SSD's (no reason other than price). I suggest a Samsung 830 or a Crucial M4. I have use these many times

Quote:
2) I know about the H100 issue.

what issue? did I miss something?

Quote:
3) Do I need more RAM?

Not sure what type of editing software you are running? So I don't know if it would help. Ram is cheap right now so more could always be better. 4x8GB if you do

Quote:
4) Is my case big enough? For all my hard drives I want in there?

yes, it has 6 - 3.5/2.5" bays and you listed only 5 drives.

Quote:
5) Do I need a cooler for the GTX 680

It will cool just fine with the stock cooler you could always get even more GPU power the GTX 690, but I think the 680 is plenty.

Quote:
6) Any other bits I'll need?

Win 7 /64 Pro or Ultimate if you are going over 16GB of ram

Quote:
7) Any advice for when I'm building it?

take your time. Read this guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-g...

Last note
Quote:
2) I'm looking to build something at least a little bit future-proof.

To really cut down on Rendering times, I would have went with a dual CPU build - EVGA SR3 or built a LGA 1366 Dual Xeon CPU workstation.
http://www.hardcore-hardware.com/20111022182/Latest-new...
May 26, 2012 3:14:54 PM

The Asus Rampage IV Extreme is an E-ATX motherboard, measuring 30.5x27.2cm.
The Corsair Special Edition White Graphite 600T does not support E-ATX motherboards, only up to ATX.
So you either need to change the motherboard or the case.
May 26, 2012 3:40:07 PM

Thanks so much for that info and links JD, and Silvune!

@JD

The HD100 issue was where the cooler screws didn't line up correctly meaning you had to file something down to get it to fit. Some people managed it no probs, others rotated their coolers and it fitted.

For software, I use Cubase 6/Reason 6 for audio (both of which benefit from having plenty of RAM). Currently on Powerdirector 10 for video but will be upgrading to Adobe Premiere as soon as I can.

I did consider a dual-CPU build but I thought it might add to the complication factor when getting all to fit together and work. Also, I couldn't really ask my fans to buy me two expensive CPU's, could I? :D 

I've stuck Win 7 64bit Pro on my wishlist now, thanks so much for that info, I never knew it could be an issue.

@Silvune

I did know that about the case, but apparently it's only 'officially' not compatible with E-ATX. This is straight from an amazon review:

"Additionally, I wasn't too keen on the 600T not being "compatible" with EATX size motherboards. In fact, the 600T is able to comfortably fit EATX motherboards, such as EVGA's Z68 FTW. The problem is that Corsair does not include enough motherboard standoffs to make this happen. You will need to scratch together an additional standoff in order to install an EATX motherboard. Once installed, the 600T accommodates EATX motherboards with ease."

Which seemed to tell me it would be okay.

On the other hand, I don't want to muck around too much. I just really liked the dashing good looks and big size of that case.

Any recommendations for a good looking and spacious alternative case?

May 26, 2012 5:31:12 PM

Silvune said:
The Asus Rampage IV Extreme is an E-ATX motherboard, measuring 30.5x27.2cm.
The Corsair Special Edition White Graphite 600T does not support E-ATX motherboards, only up to ATX.
So you either need to change the motherboard or the case.

I swore i saw ATX when I check the MB. I must be needed some stronger glasses :o 

Cases that and fit H100 (this has some how to links too)
http://www.overclock.net/t/1144409/h80-h100-case-compat...

E-ATX Cases that have 5 - 3.5/2.5" drive bays or more the I would recommend.
NZXT Phantom (many colors)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Corsair 800D
SilverStone Temjin Series SST-TJ04B-E
SilverStone RAVEN RV02B-EW

COOLER MASTER HAF 932, HAF X also may fit the bill
May 26, 2012 7:28:47 PM

Thanks so much for that, JD!

I decided to go with the HAF X in the end. Loved the look of the white Phantom but a bit of research revealed a few issues...
May 28, 2012 5:33:44 PM

My last gripe will be that the mobo actually gives you nothing, nothing at all, over a cheap one. Once we're past that, this is pretty beautiful. I'd say any case that's E-ATX compatible should be fine; just trawl Newegg and see what catches your eye. They're all going to be pretty high-end at that size, so performance probably won't be an issue. If you like the look of the HAF X, go for it.
May 28, 2012 6:06:48 PM

But it's red! And it's got the word 'Extreme' in the title. I love good marketing ;-)

You'll certainly be pleased to hear I went for the GTX-690 instead of the GTX-680! Apparently it'll take 1-2 months to deliver but it'll probably take me that long to work out how to put the other bits together...

I went for Corsair RAM instead - 32Gb, simply because I couldn't find 4x8Gb G-skill anywhere on Amazon.co.uk.

Here's a link to the bits - ignore the dresses and shoes, they're not part of the build :D 

The Purchased section of my Amazon Wishlist

I know what you're thinking, but hey, I bought the thermal paste myself. And a screwdriver. Fair's fair :D  :D 

I'm thinking, use it 'as is' for a couple of years, get past the CPU warranty etc. Then when I need a bit more speed, get a man to lap the cooler + cpu, then rebuild the cooler with a high-pressure setup. Then I'll see if I can push the OC a bit further. Anything else I should do/not do? I want to get everything right first time!

Many thanks!
May 28, 2012 8:38:06 PM

kajabla said:
I'm almost afraid to ask what thermal paste you bought.

ROFL
May 28, 2012 8:40:33 PM

Ha ha! It's extracted from a Polar Bear, apparently. They didn't say how they got it but the bear looked pretty smug afterwards :D 
January 10, 2013 7:21:26 PM

Mistress Zaida said:
Ha ha! It's extracted from a Polar Bear, apparently. They didn't say how they got it but the bear looked pretty smug afterwards :D 

Nah, that's just an urban legend - the thermal paste was actually magically secreted from the loinscales of a dragon called DRÜuda. It lives by the pier in Greenwich. apparently. Sounds like an amazing system by the way. Does it fly?
January 11, 2013 2:03:40 PM

HardZed said:
Nah, that's just an urban legend - the thermal paste was actually magically secreted from the loinscales of a dragon called DRÜuda. It lives by the pier in Greenwich. apparently. Sounds like an amazing system by the way. Does it fly?

It certainly does, it flies like a fly fly that's flying high :D 

I don't allow games on it usually - but I recently let someone play TF2 on it, in triple-monitor 3D surround, and apparently it's 'the nuts'. Now he won't leave :D 

Hey, you remind me of someone I know... is that you, A+S?
January 11, 2013 2:14:43 PM

Waaayyy off topic but i have to know what the incredible *** a hypnodomme is?
January 11, 2013 3:11:57 PM

mikerockett said:
Waaayyy off topic but i have to know what the incredible *** a hypnodomme is?

Not off topic at all, because we need to know what she's doing with the computer to give good advice. So of course I googled her. Sounds like some crazy stuff. Apparently she does some kind of virtual domination thing involving hypnosis. Not my cup of tea but different strokes for different folks!
January 11, 2013 4:04:12 PM

It IS crazy! I have the best 'job' in the world! I've been told I have a very sexy voice :D 

I do 'normal' hypnosis as well. If you're curious to hear my voice, feel free to download my free file (not erotic).

Free Relaxation Hypnosis

If you're curious to hear how my voice feels, wrapping tightly around you between your legs:

Free Erotic Hypnosis

WARNING: The erotic file is designed to make you feel submissive and buy more files from me (they are very good ;) )
So please only listen if you already have that in mind. I'm not heavily into fin-dom (financial domination) like some, but I do like a bit of 'file-dom' :D 

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP WITH MY HOME-BUILD!

Anyone thinking about taking the plunge and building first-time, I would say, sign up here, ask some questions and then go for it!
January 11, 2013 5:25:49 PM

Aristotelian said:
Different strokes for different folks!

Something tells me he's not talking about swimming :D 
!