Notebook gpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

darroaxebender

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
im using a 1 year old asus g73sw-a1(i think) which has a i7-2630 cpu and a 1.5gb 192bit gtx460m (8gb ram,1tb hdd, HD+), and looking for a refresh now. i have a couple choices already and need assisting on those, which have different GPU's and same CPU's.

correct me if im wrong, but i have a feeling that it gets harder to sell my g73 as the time goes by. so ive started to think of replacing it with smth with newer chips.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: as long as im able to sell what i own to a reasonable price. at this moment, im thinking of selling my beloved g73 for like $1100 (im gonna put $200-300 on it to buy smth)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: ill be using it for 2 things, 3d modelling/rendering (im a newbie modeller atm) and gaming (i dont expect it to run every game on max settings, but im expecting a fair game experience, such as at least approx. 50 fps on medium settings for recent games)

-2GB GDDR3 nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M 128-Bit
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html

- 1.5GB GDDR5 nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M 192-Bit
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-560M.48313.0.html

-1GB GDDR5 nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M 128-Bit DX11
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-660M.71859.0.html

appearently 660 and 650 are the new models. would even them do a better job than my gtx460m (and the older 560m)? but they have 128 bit bus width and as far as i learnt, 3d softwares require a lot buswidth. ofcourse, they have alot more specs that i dont know about. i cant see the comparison charts as they are new, and im too noob to understand what those parameters affect on the pages i pasted above, concerning my needs.

would u advice me to wait for smth im not aware? or be quick to sell my notebook while i still can?

im ok with my gpu's performance on games. would those choices above, be a better option for me?
need suggestions :D

Solution
G
i ignored the "debate"
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
Performance

Thanks to the GDDR5-VRAM, the gaming performance of the GeForce GTX 660M is well ahead of the GT 650M DDR3 and on par with the AMD Radeon HD 6950M. Even the older high-end Fermi-GPU GTX 570M is only slightly faster. Therefore, current games as of 2011 should usually run fluently in 1080p resolution and high details. Only a few very demanding games, such as Metro 2033 or Crysis 2, may need reduced graphical settings for smoother gameplay.

if you're happy with what you have keep it. if you can upgrade without a large cost and are itching to do it, get the new toy. :)
however if you are doing 3d modeling it would...

FtsArTek

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
A 660m will probably get performance along the lines of the HD6950 (full card) and GTX480/570, just at a guess, considering that a GTX660 desktop card is gonna be around the power of a GTX580.

braincruser

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Those cards are comparable to your gtx460m and you will not notice any difference, the performance is within 20-25% maximum. also you have to consider that these are new cards and the drivers will make you trouble until they stabilize them.

darroaxebender

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
i dont really know about those other cards u guys mentioned. i just looked up for these babies and learnt a lil.

im not considering buying a new notebook just for GPU, i forgot to mention tbh. im also trying to upgrade my sangybridge cpu with a faster ivy bridge (my 2630 to new ivy bridge 3610).

would it be an unnecessary move overall?

G

i ignored the "debate"
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
Performance

Thanks to the GDDR5-VRAM, the gaming performance of the GeForce GTX 660M is well ahead of the GT 650M DDR3 and on par with the AMD Radeon HD 6950M. Even the older high-end Fermi-GPU GTX 570M is only slightly faster. Therefore, current games as of 2011 should usually run fluently in 1080p resolution and high details. Only a few very demanding games, such as Metro 2033 or Crysis 2, may need reduced graphical settings for smoother gameplay.

if you're happy with what you have keep it. if you can upgrade without a large cost and are itching to do it, get the new toy. :)
however if you are doing 3d modeling it would want to look at what CPU you're getting also.

Solution

darroaxebender

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
theres a local shop which has a discount offer when pre-ordering these machines. the discount will be off in a week or something. thats why im worried about still being able to sell my g73 at a similar price 2 months later.

i think im gonna wait for a bit more. i going to need my notebook with me so badly until ivy bridges' are out.

selling this for a %15-20 performance improve by paying just about $200-300 and having about at least 2 months without a computer is such a dilemma :(
(prices will get about $300 a week later)

anyways, thank you all for your efforts

Status
Not open for further replies.