Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 3570k Build Temps Probe/Realtemp

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
May 26, 2012 3:29:01 PM

Hey All,

I just build a brand new PC with an i5 3570k on an asus p8z77-v pro Mobo with a Noctua d14 SE12 cpu cooler. I am checking my temps using Asus Probe and it shows me idling at about 30c and when running prime95 for about 15-20 minutes it goes up to about 56c. But, when I install and run either coretemp or realtemp it is giving me individiual core temps as high as 70c, I am wondering a). is this considered hot for a non-oc'd system and b). can there really be that much of a discrepency between the Asus Probe sensor function and the third party temperature monitors? 70c seems kind of high to me under load and without overclocking at all.

*Edit* Also I am using a corsair 600t which has 3 fans that are all running at high speed through the integrated fan controller *edit*
a b B Homebuilt system
May 26, 2012 3:32:49 PM

Ivy Bridge is very hot compared to Sandy Bridge. It's normal.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 26, 2012 3:33:12 PM

There exists no standard way to report temperatures and unfortunately most tools take several months to fully support new hardware. Discrepancies are more common than accuracy.

You should also try HWInfo64, it's got a sensor suite as well and is quite regularly updated
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b B Homebuilt system
May 26, 2012 3:35:46 PM

Okay, I will give that program a shot, but I am still wondering what the opinion is on Asus Probe II, I feel like it is running accurately but the major differences between it, real temp, and core temp have my somewhat concerned! Thanks again for any advice.
m
l

Best solution

May 26, 2012 5:17:36 PM

Pinhedd said:
There exists no standard way to report temperatures and unfortunately most tools take several months to fully support new hardware. Discrepancies are more common than accuracy.

Intel has not changed anything core temperature related with any Core i processor since the first one was released in November 2008. The most recent versions of Core Temp and RealTemp have no problem reading Ivy Bridge CPUs correctly.

The temperature that Asus Probe reports comes from a different sensor than what RealTemp and Core Temp reports. As mentioned, Ivy Bridge runs hot and the peak core temperature when fully loaded with a stress testing program is going to be significantly higher than the temperature that Asus Probe reports.

Enjoy your new CPU and don't worry about your core temperature unless your CPU starts thermal throttling which doesn't start until the core temperature hits approximately 100C. Intel designs their CPUs so they can run very reliable at very high core temperatures. No worries.

RealTemp 3.70
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/Real_Temp_3.7...
May 26, 2012 5:32:19 PM

I am using an Asus mobo and running PC Probe too.

It reports CPU temp around 50C right now.

But according to CoreTemp, each core is only at 40~42C.

So Asus PC Probe is reporting higher temp than CoreTemp in my case :p 

I guess that's because I'm using the IGP as well.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 30, 2012 8:42:02 PM

Best answer selected by Chugot9218.
m
l
!