Can't fix actions for file types

Folder Options, File Types:
Select "File Folder" and click "Advanced"

I then have the buttons "New" which is active, and "Edit" and "Remove" which
are disabled.

This lets me add new actions which I can then never delete or edit. So I
make a new action and assign it to the wrong thing, I'm SOL.

My account is an administrator
4 answers Last reply
More about actions file types

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:01:18 GMT, Brad Pool wrote:

    > Folder Options, File Types:
    > Select "File Folder" and click "Advanced"
    >
    > I then have the buttons "New" which is active, and "Edit" and "Remove" which
    > are disabled.
    >
    > This lets me add new actions which I can then never delete or edit. So I
    > make a new action and assign it to the wrong thing, I'm SOL.
    >
    > My account is an administrator

    Don't the Edit and Remove buttons become active after you add an action?
    What file type is this? One that has been gathered up into a group?
    Example: Assigning .BMP to Adobe and having it become an Adobe image file
    instead of a bitmap. If the buttons do not become active, you could use the
    registry editor to manually remove the addition that contains an error.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    where is it in the registry? I will just remove it that way if I can find
    it.
    This is the ""Folder" or "File Folder" type that I'm interested in.

    I added an Open action for File Folder, and can't get rid of it.

    > On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:01:18 GMT, Brad Pool wrote:
    >
    >> Folder Options, File Types:
    >> Select "File Folder" and click "Advanced"
    >>
    >> I then have the buttons "New" which is active, and "Edit" and "Remove"
    >> which
    >> are disabled.
    >>
    >> This lets me add new actions which I can then never delete or edit. So I
    >> make a new action and assign it to the wrong thing, I'm SOL.
    >>
    >> My account is an administrator
    >
    > Don't the Edit and Remove buttons become active after you add an action?
    > What file type is this? One that has been gathered up into a group?
    > Example: Assigning .BMP to Adobe and having it become an Adobe image file
    > instead of a bitmap. If the buttons do not become active, you could use
    > the
    > registry editor to manually remove the addition that contains an error.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Brad,

    This is normal. You need to edit the registry to remove the additional actions:

    (File Folder)
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

    (Folder)
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Brad Pool" <brapoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:isAFd.6075$C52.31@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    Folder Options, File Types:
    Select "File Folder" and click "Advanced"

    I then have the buttons "New" which is active, and "Edit" and "Remove" which
    are disabled.

    This lets me add new actions which I can then never delete or edit. So I
    make a new action and assign it to the wrong thing, I'm SOL.

    My account is an administrator

    "Brad Pool" <brapoo@earthlink.net> wrote:
    | where is it in the registry?
    | This is the ""Folder" or "File Folder" type that I'm interested in.
    | I added an Open action for File Folder, and can't get rid of it.

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder