I3 3220 vs Phenom II x4 965

XSR

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
Hello,

Who is faster? (average...)

I think that the Phenom II x4 965 better due to the number of cores. What do you think?

Thanks.

popatim

Titan
Most games the win goes to the i3, those that can use 4 core go to the AMD.
Rendering goes to the AMD.
Video conversion to the i3 thanks to quicksync

Overall if you overclock the amd (it is a black edition after all) then in gaming they are decently matched and I would surely suggest using it to get 4 cores instead of 2+2HT cores.

If you dont plan on overclocking then the i3 would be my recommendation.

More cores and higer GHz's doesn't mean it's better, it's all about the CPU architecture. In most games a dual core an Ivy Bridges I3 will beat out a quad core Phenom II.

XSR

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
Thanks. What do you think about this comparison table?

AveragePerformance.png

The i3 2120 is faster than Phenom II X4 970, therefore the i3 3220 better than Phenom II X4 965. Am I right?

ctomster

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2012

+1

Its not that straight forward.
What he says covers it all in as simple terms as possible. It depends on what you plan to do with your cpu. :)

I know I shouldn't say anything but at this point in time only an idiot would buy a dual core processor if they could only afford 1 processor for 1 machine. I found dual cores almost useless for gaming and other things years ago. but there are those that still insist they're not irrelevant. only way I would toss one in a machine is if i knew that in very short order i was going to dump it for a quad core............. not have aspirations but actually going to do it. in that case I would buy the cheapest one i could.

Traciatim

Distinguished
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=289&i=27.28.29.34.39.40.43.45.46.53.54.55.60.61.62.56.50.49.48.47

Notice how in most tasks the X4 wins . . . and in pretty much every single game the i3 wins? They didn't have an i3-3220 in the test, but it should be just about 10% faster than the 2100 in the example. Putting it well in the lead, even in MMO games.

So if the machine is primarily for gaming, the i3. If the machine is primarily for stuff, the X4. If you want the best of both worlds, save an extra 100 bucks and get an i5.

Factors to consider, the Phenom II's K architecture is really old, basically AMD flogged it for to long but the upside is for its time it was a mighty efficient chip and at a good price point. Today it still is a good processor but it has been effectively replaced.

The Core I architecture is much newer and more power/performance efficient but that is at times a very overrated factor when it comes to gaming rigs. While I am sure there will be a bazillion and one synthetics out showing the i3 to be the most amazing gift to planet earth, frankly there really is nothing decernably different.

On this one, the i3 will run cooler and efficient but you are basically rocking a retro dual core with a last hoorah.

TRENDING THREADS