Sign in with
Your question

PSU surge Detected

Last response: in Components
September 18, 2012 12:39:54 AM

Hello all i just built a new computer about a week ago and its been running well until tonight. I have been able to play games and even run benchmarks without issue until tonight.

It has powered off twice randomly both times i got a warning that says "PSU surge detected". The first time the light for a surge being detected showed up on my surge protector so i assumed something funny happened and i actually had a surge, and replaced it since they are only good for a single surge and are useless. The second time the light on the new surge protector hadnt gone off and im wondering if it could be something in my system that is causing it to trip.

And if thats the case is it possible thats what caused my surge protector to trip??

EDIT: Thought i would also mention that i have been monitor my temps and what not for the past few days just to make sure everything is ok and the highest temp i have noticed out of any component was my GPU hit something around 45C if that makes a difference.

My new computer consists of.

Intel i5-3570k (stock clock)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler
Asus p8-Z77
Gigabyte geforce GTX 660TI (the TOC overclocked model)
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
Seagate 1TB HDD
Seasonic M12II 650W PSU
8 GB Gskill Ares Series Memory

Any ideas as to what could cause this, I was worried i might damage something so i figured id ask first before attempting to test it out myself.

More about : psu surge detected

September 18, 2012 1:01:52 AM

Try another power outlet (on a different circuit if possible) to see if it makes a difference.
m
l
September 18, 2012 1:13:21 AM

Trying that now
m
l
Related resources
September 18, 2012 1:14:36 AM

ff29 said:
The first time the light for a surge being detected showed up on my surge protector so i assumed something funny happened and i actually had a surge, and replaced it since they are only good for a single surge and are useless.

MOVs (the most common active component in surge suppressors) do not suddenly self-destruct on the first surge they suppress unless the surge exceeds the MOVs' rating. Most surges will be only a fraction of the MOVs' rating and the MOVs can suppress hundreds if not thousands of those as long as they have time to cool down between surges.

Where are you getting that "PSU surge detected" message? From an UPS? From your motherboard's monitoring software? Somewhere else? Any other details about it?
m
l
September 18, 2012 1:22:09 AM

The message was coming from my motherboard upon the computer rebooting itself, before windows loaded similar to an issue with a component.

And along the line of the surge protector the light saying surge was staying on so i assumed it was went bad.
m
l
September 18, 2012 2:07:13 AM

ff29 said:
And along the line of the surge protector the light saying surge was staying on so i assumed it was went bad.

On most surge protectors, the LED is indeed to indicate a failed MOV on the live-ground or live-neutral wire pair so you were likely correct about it going bad. The next question to ask would be why? Was it a single surge that blew it up or frequent smaller surges?

Since you implied these were recurring, I would edge my bet on small surges wearing down the MOVs until they fail, let larger surges through and cause your PC to shutdown. In this case, I would suspect bad utility power or home wiring fault such as weak/floating neutral.
m
l
September 18, 2012 12:24:16 PM

I guess thats possible the surge protector is probably about 2-3 years old and i have used it in 3 apartments now.

On another note because i am staying with a friend this week (we are gonna be roommates but my lease ended a week before our new one began so im crashing on his couch) their wasnt a whole lot of options regarding places for me to plug in my computer unless i wanted to do it on the kitchen counter. that wasnt really a viable option because my restarts unlike others that iv read about dont happen on boot up but rather while in the middle of standard use.

I did however relocate the plug to across the room next to the kitchen im not sure if its on a different circuit or not but i figured it was worth a shot.

Since i plugged it into a different wall outlet i havent had the issue so it may have just been the outlet. I will try to keep you guys updated since its seems to happen at random.

Thanks for the help so far

FF29
m
l
September 18, 2012 12:50:52 PM

Sounds like poor wiring, as previously mentioned. Good luck!
m
l
September 21, 2012 1:10:26 PM

Thought id give you a quick update.

I havent encountered the problem since i changed plugs and surge protectors which is great. So it must have been an external issue as you guys all thought.

Just wanted to thank you for the help when i was scared my computer was about to explode on me.

FF29
m
l
September 21, 2012 1:12:43 PM

Glad it worked out for you. Have fun!
m
l
!