FYI,
My old computer had an X2-4800+ which gets a Passmark score of roughly 1300. I also had it overclocked by 20% and it was still hitting 80% usage when used with an HD3870.

Your CPU has a score of 929 which basically would have even bottlenecked my HD3870.

The HD6870 is a far, far better card than the HD3870.

*On the other hand, your CPU is inadequate by itself for most modern games.

My advice is to either:

1) get an HD6770 and find games that run okay with that (try Deus Ex #1, for example, Sam&Max... )

2) Buy an even CHEAPER HD6xxx card for its hardware acceleration (flash video on internet, stored videos). For videos, use K-Lite Standard codec pack and enable "DXVA" and "H.264" and MPEG2" in the MPC-HC video player that comes with it under "Options"-> "Internal filter" (if you didn't check this during setup).

3) buy a new computer.

*I put a $30 AMD HD6450 in my sisters computer. Her old CPU under XP ran at 95% playing 1080p and couldn't do full BluRay at all. It can do full BluRay now and I think usage dropped to 25% for other 1080p video.

kangaroo4321

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Wikipedia seems to think the celerons suck. It doesn't have to be *that* cheap lol. I guess I meant like the 6870's equivalent processor. This is all because im looking to play that game oblivion, so if im on the wrong track let me know.

e56imfg

Distinguished
Frequency = nothing. It's all about the IPC and the architecture. Sandy Bridge excels in both areas.
Intel Pentium G860
Intel Core i3-2120
Both of these CPUs will yield a bit more performance.

That was until Sandy Bridge. Celerons are a wide variety of CPUs. You can't just say that something sucks without evidence.

e56imfg

Distinguished
Based on the reviews, no.
[strike]But it won't run any modern games at playable frame rates.[/strike]

EDIT: Actually, it might. But it requires a 450w PSU+ and it's price is equal to building another PC.

FYI, you picked an HD3870 X2 which is a dual-GPU HD3870 when I told you even a single HD3870 would bottleneck your CPU. It's also quite old.

You should stick with the HD6770.

You seem to picking OLD video cards. Why? There's no point. An HD6770 will bottleneck your CPU sure, but it's roughly $100, will use less power than similar older cards, is up to date and has features such as HARDWARE ACCELERATION of AVC, MPEG2 and VC-1 video.

I really don't know how to recommend a better card for you if you keep that setup.