Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will these parts make a fairly decent computer?

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 26, 2012 6:21:20 PM

I'm building a new system for my friend and I always like to double check the parts to make sure they will all fit together. So if you can tell me which ones may not work or if you recommend a different part. BTW it's staying AMD because hes on a budget.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD Burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Tower: Already have one its the NZXT Gaurdian

He already has a monitor, keyboard, mouse ect.
May 26, 2012 7:00:53 PM

1: get some mushkin ram. they are slightly cheaper and pretty good
2 850w is total overkill for your system. i recommend getting a 550-650w psu. a good one is the ocz z755w or zt650w. its cheaper and fully modular
3: you need a better gpu. if you like amd, get the 7870. if you dont mind nividia, get the asus 670. the 670 performs better. if you are on a tighter budget, get a 7850

the rest looks fine
m
0
l
Related resources
May 26, 2012 7:41:22 PM

Because you are using a AMD 6850 graphics card, I assume you are building a gaming rig.

Be aware that bulldozer was a big disappointment for gaming.
On the most recent tom's article on the best gaming cpu's for the money, no AMD chip takes first place in any price category.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

The FX-8150 would be a good pick if you were running highly multithreaded apps, but not for gaming.
Most games only use two or three fast cores, making the extra cores on the FX-8150 irrelevant.
The i3-2120 at a slightly better price point would be better. Spend a bit more on the graphics card.
The 2120 shows up very well here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

Thermaltake is not considered as a great quality psu. Stick with a known quality brand like Seasonic, Antec, XFX, Corsair, or PC P&C.

The 6850 only needs a 500w psu:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-rad...

If you are planning on cf for future upgrade, you might want to reconsider.
Why spend more now on a stronger psu than you need, and a more expensive motherboard than you need?
Spend those funds on a stronger graphics card now.
When graphics upgrade time arrives, perhaps in a few years, you are not going to want to buy a duplicate 6850 that is nearer to being obsolete. It will be better to just sell the 6850 and buy the next best thing which will be faster and cheaper.
m
0
l
May 26, 2012 7:46:31 PM

TheBigTroll said:
1: get some mushkin ram. they are slightly cheaper and pretty good
2 850w is total overkill for your system. i recommend getting a 550-650w psu. a good one is the ocz z755w or zt650w. its cheaper and fully modular
3: you need a better gpu. if you like amd, get the 7870. if you dont mind nividia, get the asus 670. the 670 performs better. if you are on a tighter budget, get a 7850

the rest looks fine


Both of those GPU's are way more then he can afford and have way more power then he needs. As for the PSU is this what you were talking about?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
May 26, 2012 7:53:47 PM

geofelt said:
Because you are using a AMD 6850 graphics card, I assume you are building a gaming rig.

Be aware that bulldozer was a big disappointment for gaming.
On the most recent tom's article on the best gaming cpu's for the money, no AMD chip takes first place in any price category.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

The FX-8150 would be a good pick if you were running highly multithreaded apps, but not for gaming.
Most games only use two or three fast cores, making the extra cores on the FX-8150 irrelevant.
The i3-2120 at a slightly better price point would be better. Spend a bit more on the graphics card.
The 2120 shows up very well here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

Thermaltake is not considered as a great quality psu. Stick with a known quality brand like Seasonic, Antec, XFX, Corsair, or PC P&C.

The 6850 only needs a 500w psu:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-rad...

If you are planning on cf for future upgrade, you might want to reconsider.
Why spend more now on a stronger psu than you need, and a more expensive motherboard than you need?
Spend those funds on a stronger graphics card now.
When graphics upgrade time arrives, perhaps in a few years, you are not going to want to buy a duplicate 6850 that is nearer to being obsolete. It will be better to just sell the 6850 and buy the next best thing which will be faster and cheaper.



So if you recommend the i5 2310, what MoBo would you rec. along with it?
m
0
l
May 26, 2012 8:03:37 PM

montop20 said:
So if you recommend the i5 2310, what MoBo would you rec. along with it?


Really, any Z77 based motherboard will do the job.
If you like Asus as a brand, look at
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Another good value is Asrock:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Those are M-ATX motherboards. You will spend a bit more for full ATX.
If you need more than 4 expansion slots, then you need the larger ATX format motherboard.
Most people only need a single graphics card slot.
m
0
l
May 26, 2012 8:18:39 PM

geofelt said:
Really, any Z77 based motherboard will do the job.
If you like Asus as a brand, look at
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Another good value is Asrock:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Those are M-ATX motherboards. You will spend a bit more for full ATX.
If you need more than 4 expansion slots, then you need the larger ATX format motherboard.
Most people only need a single graphics card slot.



Alright so as of now I have following in the build.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (179.99)

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (134.99)

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (134.99) With Rebate

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (79.99) With Rebate

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (46.99)

Grand total is $ 594.94 with a DVD burner.
m
0
l
May 26, 2012 8:27:39 PM

Looks OK to me.
m
0
l
!