Sign in with
Your question

Inno3D GTX580 SLI spacing problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 26, 2012 12:44:39 AM

Hi guys. I own 2 Inno3D GTX580s with the IChill tri fan air cooling system. These cards are really sweet with low temps and low noise. Problem is, they are very thick, measuring a width at 60mm due to the large heatsink and fan system, and I would like to have them working in SLI on an Asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 mobo. This will all be stored in a NZXT Phantom Full Tower Case. Can the cards fit straight in the PCIe slots? What the heck is the expansion slot for? If they can't fit directly, I have a PCIe bridge I could use to make room but would the PSU get in the way? Is there an alternative mobo I can go for to SLI these cards?

Pics of the cards in question can be seen here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280791930855?ssPageName=STRK:...

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your opinions.
March 26, 2012 4:34:40 AM

Also my friend tried out one of the cards on his rig and he connected it with 2 6 pin connectors instead of 1 6 and 1 8 and turned the system on twice. The comp did not run as the mobo did not detect a GPU, but could this have harmed the card?
Related resources
March 26, 2012 7:23:15 AM

*should* be fine, it wont be any wider than 3 slots, you could try a different mobo with the PCIe x16 slots further apart (gonna want at least 8x and 8x), as the case is full tower and the mobo is mini ATX you'll have PLENTY of room between the bottom gpu an the PSU.
March 26, 2012 1:39:55 PM

internet cable said:
*should* be fine, it wont be any wider than 3 slots, you could try a different mobo with the PCIe x16 slots further apart (gonna want at least 8x and 8x), as the case is full tower and the mobo is mini ATX you'll have PLENTY of room between the bottom gpu an the PSU.

Thanks mate! What other mobos are there that have the features of the P8Z68 but with PCIe slots further apart? I really like the features the P8Z68 is packing. I don't understand what you mean by 8x and 8x, could you explain please.
!