Sign in with
Your question

I cannot connect to the internet

Last response: in Systems
May 26, 2012 7:20:49 PM

so i have recently built a computer and for some reason i cannot connect to the internet. i have put everything together and took a hard drive with windows 7 and placed it in the computer. it turn on and everything, but for some reason when i plug my Ethernet cable in the computer nothing happens. i go to the control panel and try to connect but it says,"windows did not detect any networking hardware. can anyone help me here?

More about : connect internet

May 26, 2012 7:42:05 PM

Did you install LAN driver?
May 26, 2012 7:47:26 PM

dropping a hard drive with win7 into a build is not the correct way to build
Related resources
May 26, 2012 7:51:15 PM

so what would you think the best thing is to do? and no i have not been able to install anything. i does not connect to the internet at all.
May 26, 2012 7:52:35 PM

You can't just put a hard drive with Windows on it in a new computer and expect it to work. You need to do a clean install of Windows. It will not have any of the correct drivers doing it your way and I suspect even if it boots you will find more wrong than just not connecting to the internet.
May 26, 2012 7:59:34 PM

so what should i do here, i only have that hard drive with window 7 on it. is there any possible way i can reboot my hard drive? and i dont understand really why it cant get on the internet..
May 26, 2012 8:04:34 PM

Because Windows is configured for the old computer it was installed in. It still has all the drivers for the old hardware.

I suspect if you go to Start > Control Panel > System > Device Manager you will see a whole bunch of question marks by things like the USB hub and network adaptors. That is because the drivers ( software that makes hardware work ) are for the old computer.

You need to buy Windows and do a clean install.
May 26, 2012 8:04:38 PM

anort3 said:
You can't just put a hard drive with Windows on it in a new computer and expect it to work. You need to do a clean install of Windows. It will not have any of the correct drivers doing it your way and I suspect even if it boots you will find more wrong than just not connecting to the internet.

do you have any suggestions on what i should do with the computer?
May 26, 2012 8:04:59 PM

You cant get on the internet because you do not have the drovers that your network card uses. Download the latest drivers onto a flashdrive and put them on your computer. Or even better format your hard drive and then install Win 7 from a disk.
May 26, 2012 8:08:40 PM

i dont have the money to buy another window 7 and why would i need to buy a new one if i already have it. is there any way i can just clean the hard drive, like wipe it clean and have it run in the computer. and would this really stop the computer from connecting to the internet??
May 26, 2012 8:10:15 PM

Windows will also need the activation number entered again. Now if you have a legit serial number you can download Windows from Microsoft and use your activation number. The numbers are tied to the motherboard though. So even if you can find all the new drivers you need you still will not be able to legally activate Windows unless you own a full retail copy. If you are just going to install it on that one computer and not try to move it then you can buy the OEM version for $99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
May 26, 2012 8:10:35 PM

I am not saying you should buy a new Win 7. Download a Win 7 ISO onto a computer and burn it onto a disk. Place the disk into your computer and install windows 7.
May 26, 2012 8:12:10 PM

OEM version = tied to one computer.

Full retail = Install on as many computers as you want. But it can only be on one computer at a time.
May 26, 2012 8:19:42 PM

chickenleg, i dont have a disk drive, so would using a flash drive work, and if so, where can i DL the window 7 ISO to the flash drive?
May 26, 2012 8:22:09 PM

I don't think so. Disk drives are extremely cheap. I would highly recommend you get one.
May 26, 2012 8:30:17 PM

Once you install Windows then install the drivers from the CD that came with your motherboard.
May 26, 2012 8:38:41 PM

thanks for those site anort, ill give that a try.
!