Sign in with
Your question

Building a new PC (HELP!)

Last response: in Systems
May 26, 2012 12:37:27 PM

Hello! First off, I would like to apologize if I have not chosen the correct category for this but since I had questions regarding the CPU, Motherboard AND Memory, I decided to stick to one, instead of posting three different threads. If I need to, I'm most definitely willing to.

Now, I'm trying to build a new PC from scratch. I'm completely new to this as my previous one was assembled by a friend. The only hardware I'm retaining from the previous one is the harddrive (Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 250 GB) and the optical drive (a DVD RW drive).

I would like to point out that I do not live in the States. But I will be quoting the prices here in US dollars. Since none of the stores I know of deliver to Pakistan, I will have to stick to stores and rates here - unless someone can point me to a store that DOES deliver to Pakistan.

I will primarily be using this PC for gaming (e.g. Mass Effect 3, the Witcher 2, Skyrim). I really can't afford to spend too much money on ensuring all my games work smoothly on high settings so I'm fine with medium or medium-high settings - low would be stretching it a bit since why spend money on a PC only to play on low settings? Just an opinion, really.

I need help with some of the other components, though. I will list out my choices for convenience wherever I can.

GPU/Graphics card - I have already bought a graphics card - the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti (1 GB) (EVGA) (US $278). I'm open to suggestions on more efficient cards since I still have time to exchange it.

CPU/processor - Intel Core i5 2500k (3.3 GHz, 6MB cache) (US $223) OR Intel Core i7 2600k (3.4 GHz, 8 MB cache) (US $327) - I'm only confused between these two because I've heard that the i5 will do just fine if my only use for it is gaming - the i7 will not make a significant difference. Is that true? If so, I'm assuming I should just go for the i5.

Memory - I'm trying to go for 8 GB of RAM - DDR3, of course. Any preference on brands? My options are Corsair, Transcend and Kingston. Also, is there any point in going for the so-called gaming RAMs? I refer to the Corsair XMS3 and VENGEANCE varieties (1600 BUS). The simple ones (1333 BUS) would cost me around $47 (2 4GB ones). The "gaming" RAMs would cost me almost double depending on which variety I get.

Motherboard - I'm completely clueless on this. What is the simplest motherboard I can get which would be capable of supporting all the components I may be getting?

Power supply - Again, I'm slightly clueless on this. Any preference on brands? My choices are Antec, Cooler Master and Corsair.
Would a 600W power supply be sufficient or would I need to go higher to, say, 700W? Or even higher?
Also, it may be relevant to ask here that I have a 700 watts UPS in my room. I MAY be seeking to run my PC and LCD (18.5" Samsung Syncmaster B1930) on it. I just need to know whether it would be safe - in that, it won't result in any damage to my PC or LCD. Would a power surge protector come in handy? One of the Belkin Essential ($8 and 3-sockets) or Advanced ($30 for 6-sockets) or Ultimate ($33 and 8-sockets) series? What about a stabilizer? I already have a stabilizer at home - should I just use that or should I actually get a power surge protector if I intend to use the UPS with my PC and LCD?

By the way, I'm trying not to spend more than about a $1,000. I'm willing to go up a $100 from that but it may be difficult to go higher.

Thank you for your time and I apologize if these questions seems extremely general. Remember, I am completely new to this and there are just too many choices.

More about : building

May 26, 2012 1:06:13 PM

For gaming get the 2500K
I would go with 1600MHz ram but if price is an issue then it will be no noticeable performance difference having 1333MHz.
Any P67/ Z68/ Z77 board for the right price will allow you to overclock that CPU. Just make sure if you plan to have dual GPU's in the future that the board will have 2 PCIe slots that run at min X8 X8 with two cards. Maybe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
On the PSU skip the CM but go for Antec or Corsair 500 to 600watts will run that fine with a single card.
m
l
May 26, 2012 1:33:32 PM

Nice post.

ykq1 said:
Hello! First off, I would like to apologize if I have not chosen the correct category for this but since I had questions regarding the CPU, Motherboard AND Memory, I decided to stick to one, instead of posting three different threads. If I need to, I'm most definitely willing to.

I'm sure it's fine. You can repost at the homebuilt systems forum when you start planning your build.
ykq1 said:

Now, I'm trying to build a new PC from scratch. I'm completely new to this as my previous one was assembled by a friend. The only hardware I'm retaining from the previous one is the harddrive (Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 250 GB) and the optical drive (a DVD RW drive).

Yup, that saves some money on the new build.
ykq1 said:

I would like to point out that I do not live in the States. But I will be quoting the prices here in US dollars. Since none of the stores I know of deliver to Pakistan, I will have to stick to stores and rates here - unless someone can point me to a store that DOES deliver to Pakistan.

Delivery might prove too expensive anyway.
ykq1 said:

I will primarily be using this PC for gaming (e.g. Mass Effect 3, the Witcher 2, Skyrim). I really can't afford to spend too much money on ensuring all my games work smoothly on high settings so I'm fine with medium or medium-high settings - low would be stretching it a bit since why spend money on a PC only to play on low settings? Just an opinion, really.

$1000 should get you high settings no problem.
ykq1 said:

I need help with some of the other components, though. I will list out my choices for convenience wherever I can.

GPU/Graphics card - I have already bought a graphics card - the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti (1 GB) (EVGA) (US $278). I'm open to suggestions on more efficient cards since I still have time to exchange it.

I would have recommended a HD7850 which is similar in price but a newer, more powerful and more efficient architecture.
ykq1 said:

CPU/processor - Intel Core i5 2500k (3.3 GHz, 6MB cache) (US $223) OR Intel Core i7 2600k (3.4 GHz, 8 MB cache) (US $327) - I'm only confused between these two because I've heard that the i5 will do just fine if my only use for it is gaming - the i7 will not make a significant difference. Is that true? If so, I'm assuming I should just go for the i5..

Yes, the i5 is great for gaming. The i7 won't make a difference.
ykq1 said:

Memory - I'm trying to go for 8 GB of RAM - DDR3, of course. Any preference on brands? My options are Corsair, Transcend and Kingston. Also, is there any point in going for the so-called gaming RAMs? I refer to the Corsair XMS3 and VENGEANCE varieties (1600 BUS). The simple ones (1333 BUS) would cost me around $47 (2 4GB ones). The "gaming" RAMs would cost me almost double depending on which variety I get..

No point in getting "gaming" RAM. Just get something that's 1.5V or less - 1333 vs 1600 MHz doesn't make a huge difference either.
ykq1 said:

Motherboard - I'm completely clueless on this. What is the simplest motherboard I can get which would be capable of supporting all the components I may be getting?.

I would recommend the ASRock Z77 Extreme4.
ykq1 said:

Power supply - Again, I'm slightly clueless on this. Any preference on brands? My choices are Antec, Cooler Master and Corsair.
Would a 600W power supply be sufficient or would I need to go higher to, say, 700W? Or even higher?
Also, it may be relevant to ask here that I have a 700 watts UPS in my room. I MAY be seeking to run my PC and LCD (18.5" Samsung Syncmaster B1930) on it. I just need to know whether it would be safe - in that, it won't result in any damage to my PC or LCD. Would a power surge protector come in handy? One of the Belkin Essential ($8 and 3-sockets) or Advanced ($30 for 6-sockets) or Ultimate ($33 and 8-sockets) series? What about a stabilizer? I already have a stabilizer at home - should I just use that or should I actually get a power surge protector if I intend to use the UPS with my PC and LCD?

By the way, I'm trying not to spend more than about a $1,000. I'm willing to go up a $100 from that but it may be difficult to go higher.

Thank you for your time and I apologize if these questions seems extremely general. Remember, I am completely new to this and there are just too many choices.

Out of those brands I would go with Antec or Corsair. For a single GPU a 500W is more than enough. 750W is a good, safe figure for dual GPU configs. 700W should be enough power for the system and a LCD screen.
m
l
Related resources
May 26, 2012 2:47:54 PM

Thank you so much for your fast and extremely helpful replies, rolli59 and FinneousPJ!

I have decided to settle with the following:

Graphics card - GTX 560Ti (because I don't think the HD7850 is available here - and, again, I can't get it shipped. Thank you for the suggestion, though, FinneousPJ! I'll continue looking for it until I finally assemble my PC start of June)

Processor - Intel Core i5 2500k. Thank you for helping me reach this conclusion. And my pocket will thank you too!

Memory - the 1333 Mhz RAM (8 GB, 2 4 GB ones). I'll make sure it's 1.5V or less. Thank you for the tip, FinneousPJ!

Power Supply - CORSAIR GS 600W

Motherboard - I still need help with this. I haven't been able to find the ASRock Z68 here.
My choice is limited to 2 ASUS boards and 2 Intel Boards.

ASUS boards - SABERTOOTH P67 (currently unavailable but may become available at a later date - not sure what the price is) or P8Z68-V ($172) - it seems likely that the SABERTOOTH may not be an option due to unavailability.

Intel boards - DP67DE ($113) or DZ68DB ($131)

I have two further questions here:

1) Does it matter whether I get an ASUS or Intel motherboard or is it just a matter of preference?

2) Is this one of those situations (such as the CPU, when considering the i5 and i7 in the context of gaming) where saving a little money and going for a P67 instead of a Z68 would be more beneficial? Or would it actually be a better decision to spend a little more and go for the Z68 instead of the P67?
m
l
May 26, 2012 2:54:37 PM

The Z68 offers some more functionality but most users don't really need it. If the P67 is cheaper and has everything you need, go with that.
m
l
May 26, 2012 3:06:59 PM

Normally I would take Asus over Intel but looking at the price difference I think I would go with either Intel board now.
m
l
May 26, 2012 7:22:02 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
!