Sign in with
Your question

Keyboard for asus eee pc 1005 hab

Last response: in Components
September 18, 2012 3:46:15 AM

Hello,
I recently removed my keyboard from my laptop to install a new hard drive. In the process I broke the black clamp that locks the keyboard ribbon into the motherboard. I've re-inserted the ribbon into the motherboard and it's in pretty good. Even on the Device Manager it says that the keyboard is working properly.But actually the keyboard isn't working at all. Do I need another keyboard or is there anyway that I can fix the clam on the motherboard?
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2012 3:22:02 PM

There is no way that we can really answer this for you, because we don't know the extent of the damage.

The device manager is more worried about drivers being correct for the device than it is about whether the hardware itself works right, so you can't conclude the keyboard is good in hardware because of what is shown there.

If you plugged in a different keyboard then a warning might come up saying the wrong keyboard driver is installed, but that is about it.

You have 3 options, written in order of how expensive they are:
1) Try a different cable, if possible
2) Try a different keyboard
3) Give up on the broken laptop & buy a new one and/or try to pay an electrical engineer to repair the physical damage to the motherboard.

In terms of #3, it might just be cheaper to buy a new laptop than to try to pay someone to fix that one.

In terms of #1, the cable from the keyboard to the motherboard may or may not be detachable at both ends. If it is, then the cheapest thing you can try to test would just be buying a new one of these and seeing if it works. That being said, this is quite unlikely to be the fix. You may spend a low amount to do the test, but the chances for critical success (it starts working) are pretty low.

Option 2 is going to be more expensive than option 1, but the chances for a critical success (it starts working) are much higher. I am not going to say they are high by any stretch of the imagination, but they are higher than option 1. The cost is also probably going to be an one or two orders of magnitude lower than option 3.

Its probably not what you want to hear, but I would estimate the chances of success at roughly:
1) 5%
2) 20%
3) 75%
m
l
September 28, 2012 1:04:35 AM

Thanks but I got it to work. I watched a video on youtube about replacing the hard drive. And since I still had the broken piece I was able to insert the piece back the right way and it work fine now. Thank you for your help.
m
l
!