How to kill a Hard Drive

Accidentally deleted the "ntldr" file from the root C:\ drive on my WinXP
Pro and killed the drive.

It no longer is detected by the POST detecting IDE devices or a bootable
WinXP install CD!

Cheers for any advice

Carbon™
3 answers Last reply
More about kill hard drive

    Just deleting the ntldr wouldn't kill your hard drive. It would make XP
    unbootable but it certainly wouldn't remove your hard drive from the bios
    post option.
    I'd check your bios to see if it is listed there. To enter the bios you will
    need to reboot and then press the 'Del' key or some other key depending upon
    what bios you have - please check your pc manual. And be careful - changing
    items in the bios can cause your pc not to boot correctly.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    "Andrew Bailey" <andy.j.bailey@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Accidentally deleted the "ntldr" file from the root C:\ drive on my WinXP
    > Pro and killed the drive.
    >
    > It no longer is detected by the POST detecting IDE devices or a bootable
    > WinXP install CD!
    >
    > Cheers for any advice
    >
    > CarbonT

    Follow the instructions given at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318728

    (same for XP as 2000)
    www.coribright.com

    "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    > Just deleting the ntldr wouldn't kill your hard drive. It would make XP
    > unbootable but it certainly wouldn't remove your hard drive from the bios
    > post option.
    > I'd check your bios to see if it is listed there. To enter the bios you
    > will need to reboot and then press the 'Del' key or some other key
    > depending upon what bios you have - please check your pc manual. And be
    > careful - changing items in the bios can cause your pc not to boot
    > correctly.
    >
    > --
    > John Barnett MVP
    > Associate Expert
    > http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
    >
    > "Andrew Bailey" <andy.j.bailey@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Accidentally deleted the "ntldr" file from the root C:\ drive on my WinXP
    >> Pro and killed the drive.
    >>
    >> It no longer is detected by the POST detecting IDE devices or a bootable
    >> WinXP install CD!
    >>
    >> Cheers for any advice
    >>
    >> CarbonT

    Nope...

    It's definitely dead. Checked jumper setting, checked IDE cable, checked
    BIOS.

    The drive light stays on, the IDE detect part of the bootup times out and
    the drive cannot been seen by anything, not bios, WinXP boot disc or
    Ultimate Boot disc... so I've ordered a new drive.

    Sometimes there just ain't a fix;)

    Andy

    > Follow the instructions given at:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318728
    >
    > (same for XP as 2000)
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    > > Just deleting the ntldr wouldn't kill your hard drive. It would make XP
    > > unbootable but it certainly wouldn't remove your hard drive from the
    bios
    > > post option.
    > > I'd check your bios to see if it is listed there. To enter the bios you
    > > will need to reboot and then press the 'Del' key or some other key
    > > depending upon what bios you have - please check your pc manual. And be
    > > careful - changing items in the bios can cause your pc not to boot
    > > correctly.
    > >
    > > --
    > > John Barnett MVP
    > > Associate Expert
    > > http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
    > >
    > > "Andrew Bailey" <andy.j.bailey@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > >> Accidentally deleted the "ntldr" file from the root C:\ drive on my
    WinXP
    > >> Pro and killed the drive.
    > >>
    > >> It no longer is detected by the POST detecting IDE devices or a
    bootable
    > >> WinXP install CD!
    > >>
    > >> Cheers for any advice
    > >>
    > >> CarbonT