Your question

Is it new PSU time?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
September 18, 2012 9:01:48 AM

I am upgrading a used desktop into a low budget gaming machine. I've very nearly done, but I've hit an issue. My graphics card (XFX Radeon HD 6870) has two 6 pin external power slots, but my PSU (Antec VP450P 450W) only has one 6 pin power connector. Do I have to have two plugged in (he says hopefully), can I use an adapter on some of the other connectors (full list is 1x 20+4 Pin, 1 x 6 Pin PCI-E, 4 x SATA, 4 x Molex, 1 x Floppy, 1 x 4+4 Pin ATX/EPS) or do I need to get a new PSU?

More about : psu time

September 18, 2012 9:07:12 AM

Just to clarify one of the above questions. I know I can use an adapter to get an extra 6 pin PCI, just wondering if I should.
September 18, 2012 9:08:37 AM

^like is it a bit dodgy? (wish I could edit...)
Related resources
a c 87 ) Power supply
September 18, 2012 11:57:15 AM

Yes it will be fine to use an adapter to get the second 6pin PCIe connector that you require.
September 18, 2012 12:43:53 PM

Thanks! =D
September 18, 2012 2:17:30 PM

delluser1 said:
I'd use a splitter before using a molex to pcie , just cleaner looking
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Are the extra 2 pins significant in that link? Either way I don't think I should split it, my power supply will probably be really on the edge of being able to power the system with the card installed, I don't want to push my luck splitting a single connector. Plus I don't have a modular PSU so all the wires are going to be there anyway, it's not going to be any cleaner looking.
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 18, 2012 2:26:47 PM

DannySpud said:
Are the extra 2 pins significant in that link? Either way I don't think I should split it, my power supply will probably be really on the edge of being able to power the system with the card installed, I don't want to push my luck splitting a single connector. Plus I don't have a modular PSU so all the wires are going to be there anyway, it's not going to be any cleaner looking.

Your specs aren't listed, I doubt you have what it would take to push the psu to the edge
Nothing wrong with splitters, just another form of dual connector cable
September 18, 2012 2:44:29 PM

My system specs are:
Intel Core i3
8Gb RAM (2x2Gb, 1x4Gb)
300Gb HDD
Radeon HD 6870
Antec 450W PSU

The GPU alone says it should have a minimum of 500W and recommends 650W, and my PSU is only 450W. And that's without adding on the rest of the system or taking ageing capacitors into account (its a used system, no idea how old I bought it on eBay). But overloading wasn't really my worry. I just don't think I gain anything from splitting over using a molex to PCIe, and splitting means the entire card is on a single rail, using a molex to PCIe means I can put it over both rails which might increase system stability over time if the power supply starts to degrade. I think.
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 18, 2012 3:00:14 PM

DannySpud said:
My system specs are:
Intel Core i3
8Gb RAM (2x2Gb, 1x4Gb)
300Gb HDD
Radeon HD 6870
Antec 450W PSU

The GPU alone says it should have a minimum of 500W and recommends 650W, and my PSU is only 450W. And that's without adding on the rest of the system or taking ageing capacitors into account (its a used system, no idea how old I bought it on eBay). But overloading wasn't really my worry. I just don't think I gain anything from splitting over using a molex to PCIe, and splitting means the entire card is on a single rail, using a molex to PCIe means I can put it over both rails which might increase system stability over time if the power supply starts to degrade. I think.

1. Those specs won't come close to putting you on the edge
2. Capacitor ageing as used by a psu calculator is a joke
3. All of your connectors except cpu power are on 1 of the 2 rails, you won't be using more than 1
September 18, 2012 3:20:51 PM

Well I still don't see any benefit in using a splitter over a molex to PCIe, and the shop that I'm going to go to (Maplin) doesn't seem to sell the splitter but it does sell the molex to PCIe adaptors (according to their website).
a c 87 ) Power supply
September 18, 2012 3:40:29 PM

Doesn't your graphics card already come with the 'molex' to PCIe adapter?
September 18, 2012 4:22:03 PM

No, at least there wasn't one in the box and the product page didn't say anything. It was ex-display so that might have something to do with it. Don't mind buying one, it's only £5 and even if I was supposed to get one with the card I saved £20 getting ex-display.
a c 87 ) Power supply
September 18, 2012 4:31:26 PM

Fair enough, I just wanted to make sure you didn't buy something you might already have had.
September 18, 2012 4:34:37 PM

Lol, thanks.
!