A7A266 sound question

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I have an Asus A7A266 with onboard sound. The sound only comes out of one speaker. Does anyone have any experience with this board? Is there a way to correct this?

This board has the AC97 sound. I don't know what that means. Can anyone explain what that is?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sound from only one speaker is generally caused by an inproper CD sound cable. If your windows sounds come from both but your CD sounds come from one, this is almost certainly the reason.
If ALL sounds only come from one speaker, it could be a bad speaker, bad speaker wire, bad connector, connector not in all the way, balance set wrong in sound controlls, etc.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I checked both the CD and Windows sound. They are both coming from only one speaker.

I have tried several sets of speakers. All speakers tried only play on one side. The speakers work fine on other computers so it's not a bad speaker, wire, connector, etc. I checked the balance too.

Frustrating. Do you know anything about AC97. I'm betting it's something related to that. I installed the drivers but they don't seem to have a setting that would turn off the speakers. They have a setting with options like "Destop Stereo Speakers", "Laptop Mono Speakers", and so on.

Anyone have any experience with AC97 onboard chip?

Thanks for you help Crashman.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AC97 is a sound codec, basically a simple chip that routs sound processing to the CPU and provides an interface for the connector. It is used in a lot of onboard sound systems because it is cheap. It usually works ok, maybe you have a bad circuite on the board?

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
you might want to get a new sound card (such as the Live Value or Ensonic) this will fix your problem, plus give you much better sound. Onboard Video and Sound are generally much cheaper in quality and preformance than a PCI sound card.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I agree. I built these for work. So audio wasn't a big deal. But this sound deal bugs me even though it's a business computer.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I understand. have you tried listening to the sound directly form the front of the CD ROM drive?

If it works for you then don't fix it.