Intel I7-3820
Corsair Dominator 16GB 1600
Cooler Master 850W PS
Asus Xonar Essense STX
Crucial M4 SSD 128GB
Hitachi 2TB HDD
Cooler Master Cosmos 2
XFX 7970 Black Edition

I decided a few days ago that I was going to RMA the 7970 back due to its high temps under load for an MSI lightning with the twin frozr IV...Before I continue, let me point out that I love Nvidia and AMD both for the GPUs they grace us with. They both make great cards and should be respected as such. So, as Im preparing to lose my rig for a spell, the GTX680 is launched. Now Im torn...and confused. Some benchmarks show the 680 ahead of the 7970 in performance even though the AMD beast (to me atleast) looks better on paper. Note that Im only playing on a 42 inch 1080p at the moment. I want a card of this caliber so that if I decide to go multi-screen, I can. Im a heavy gamer...Battlefield 3 and ME3 at this time, though I play a wide variety. I also do alot of video production with Vegas Pro 11 and the adobe CS5 suite. So, which card is my huckleberry? Also, I film on a Canon T3i which uses the h.264 codec? The 7970 seemed to play this codec just fine. I have tried and tested the power of the 7970 and loved it but should I go to Nvidia this round? Is the 680 really that much more of a powerhouse or should I stick to my guns with an OC'd 7970? No matter how many benches or reviews i see, I cant make up my mind. I need some expert input and where else to look but right here. :) 

More about : 7970 gtx680

a b U Graphics card
March 26, 2012 3:49:45 AM

It sounds like you have a terrible problem on your hands.......Just kidding stay with the 7970 it is working great then I see no reason to switch since very few people have seen the 680 despite the reviews I see no reason to switch at the moment.
Score
March 26, 2012 3:54:03 AM

Well the hd 7970 is more balanced since it does fare better in general compute tasks so its seems to be the better overall choice. But its really about priorities and how much you need the 7970's general computer power so in the end its your call.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 26, 2012 3:58:13 AM

Agreed they are both great cards,nvidia finally got there heat issues in check as well.truthfully,I would wait til you get your card back,if its all good,then that is the answer,If your still not satisfied,well,Even I admit the 680 looks like it should be a great choice also,take what you read with a grain of salt,not all reviews are created equal.
one review I read states the 680 destroys the 7970,but it was by an average of 5-10 Fps(hardly destroys),others are showing at higher resolutions there pretty equal.

I would go on the forums of the games you are playing and see what people there are saying,I mean,what better review than people that actually use them in real world scenarios.

Not sure if this helps,but GL.
Score
March 26, 2012 4:04:34 AM

Thx guys. I was leaning toward the same answer. And despite my rig specs, my bank is not loaded so I just want to make the right choice for what I do with my pc.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 26, 2012 4:08:38 AM

I would say stick with the 7970 OC. It's a powerful card and compute performance is much better for video editing.
March 26, 2012 4:11:31 AM

Phyrexiancure said:
Well the hd 7970 is more balanced since it does fare better in general compute tasks so its seems to be the better overall choice. But its really about priorities and how much you need the 7970's general computer power so in the end its your call.

I would disagree.Sisoftsandra might not have upgraded the system due to newer kepler arch.So we have yet to see gpu compute performance of kepler.
Score
March 26, 2012 4:17:28 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:
I would disagree.Sisoftsandra might not have upgraded the system due to newer kepler arch.So we have yet to see gpu compute performance of kepler.

Nvidia already said officially that compute was not the goal for this card gaming was.
Score
April 4, 2012 3:49:40 PM

Best answer selected by krobjack.
Score
!