Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I upgrade to the Gtx 680

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 26, 2012 4:10:35 AM

Ok so im thinking of upgrading to a gtx 680, probably the asus. Right now I have about 600-800 bucks on me. But my main concern is should I really but upgrading something else. My 920 cpu is at 4.2 ghz at 38 degrees on my p6t but I get a ton of IRQL less or not equal errors. My power supply is a 950 but its a cheap Cyberpowerpc certified model. My Graphics cards are 2 gtx 460s oc'ed at 820 mhz and one gets really hot because of really bad motherboard pci spacing. My Ram is actauly 2 diffrent types of ram. 1.65-1.7volt 1600 mhz and 1800 mhz because of the 1600 being decactivated. Right now I get average 50-80 fps in battlefield 3 on max settings, but it drops down to like 8 for a second every once in awhile and is very annoying. I really don't know what I should be upgrading. Thanks for any input.

More about : upgrade gtx 680

March 26, 2012 4:25:44 AM

Your graphics cards are decent, I would probably wait for GK110.
m
l
March 26, 2012 4:37:59 AM

Your rig is excellent for playing games and you'd be wise to wait for the GTX 670 and CF those mofo's.
m
l
Related resources
a c 191 U Graphics card
March 26, 2012 4:57:46 AM

I wouldn't change anything until you can't play games on desired settings anymore
m
l

Best solution

a c 255 U Graphics card
March 26, 2012 4:57:51 AM

Personally I would get a decent power supply before even thinking about upgrading. The power supply is the single most important part of your computer. A cheap off spec PSU can and will actually damage components like your motherboard and graphics cards.

A single GTX 680 needs 550-600 watts and for 2 x GTX680s in Sli a quality 750-800 watt model will be fine. Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Enermax, Silverstone, OCZ and Antec are all quality brands.

Quote:
Your rig is excellent for playing games and you'd be wise to wait for the GTX 670 and CF those mofo's.

Nvidia cards run in Sli. AMD cards Crossfire.
March 26, 2012 5:00:12 AM

anort3 said:
Personally I would get a decent power supply before even thinking about upgrading. The power supply is the single most important part of your computer. A cheap off spec PSU can and will actually damage components like your motherboard and graphics cards.

A single GTX 680 needs 550-600 watts and for 2 x GTX680s in Sli a quality 750-800 watt model will be fine. Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Enermax, Silverstone, OCZ and Antec are all quality brands.

Quote:

Nvidia cards run in Sli. AMD cards Crossfire.

No kidding. I should add that one GTX 680 you could easily get away with it on a lower wattage PSU like a 460 Seasonic unit I mean it only draws less than 200 watts max.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
March 26, 2012 5:03:56 AM

Right now the prices for nVidias 5xx series are down and you could get a couple of cards like the 560 ti's for under $200 dollars each. You have had the nVidia 4xx series while the 5xx series came out.

So why not get the nVidia 5xx series cards for now then revisit this in a year. The 560's are going to still be around. Look at how long the nVidia 4xx series has been here.

Then while saving money you could buy a nice PSU and/or a new MOBO. You could even get a 570, 580, etc. Now if your money is burning a hole in your pocket. Then look at the AMD 7950, 7970.

Anyway this is just food for thought. Anyway you go will be better thant what you have now. It is your choice. I do wish you good luck on your upgrades to come and games to play.
m
l
March 26, 2012 5:29:25 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Hows that for a psu? Please don't say it's too much power because I have a ton of fans, a huge case (In-Win Maelstrom), and I want it for eventually upgrading other things. Also are there any other motherboards that are 3 way sli for the x58 In an acceptable price range like 250-300? I saw a asus rampage 3 open box but now its gone and I really do prefer asus to match the rest of my build like my asus gpus, possibly evga but their board is like $500. I really dont even know if I should upgrade the MB tho Since the i7 920 is getting kinda old anyway. And if I shouldent get a motherborad ill get a nice new case with better airflow and dust protection like the coolermaster cosmos.
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
March 26, 2012 5:52:21 AM

That is one of the best power supplies you can buy. It's overkill for anything less than 3 x GTX 680s though.

Since budget does not seem to be an issue for you and you have at least a 5760 x 3240 display to need anything approaching 3 x GTX680s then you might as well upgrade to a Sandy or Ivy Bridge based system as well.

Don't use case fans to justify a gigantic power supply. They use less than 5 watts each.
m
l
March 26, 2012 6:09:53 AM

I actauly do Intend to buy at least 2 680s eventauly and then have the 460 as a physx only card so should I just ivy bridge now instead of getting a new x58? I also forgot to mention I have a alienware 3d monitor and use 3d vison alot.
m
l
March 26, 2012 9:03:21 AM

Best answer selected by andrewcba.
m
l
March 26, 2012 9:20:50 AM

Definately get rid of the PSU as soon as possible most of the complaints about cyber power have to do with either the xtreme gear branded psu's or the cyberpower branded ones.
Hmm i just looked on their site and it seems the xtreme gear supplys were not listed any longer for certain systems Wow this is great news because I image that psu cost them a lot in warranty and in their system reviews.
Guess I was wrong they are just calling them the standard supplys now the www.buykg.com on the psu was a give away.
Stay away from these supplys at all costs
I
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 26, 2012 9:39:34 AM

GTX 460's are still a good setup. They are equal to a 570 and can go toe to toe with a stock 580. Wait for the newer Kepler cards and see what shakes.
If you have a side fan vent on your case, put a fan on and blow it towards the GPU's.
Lowered temps 10C on my 460's when running games.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 26, 2012 9:51:30 AM

DM186, good advice from someone who has 550Ti's SLI'ed. They have a 192 cores each and a 192 bit bus. GTX 460's in SLI will give you a total of 672 cores on a 256 bit bus.
460's will beat that setup any day and I don't care how hard you clock them. :) 
m
l
March 26, 2012 10:09:32 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
DM186, good advice from someone who has 550Ti's SLI'ed. They have a 192 cores each and a 192 bit bus. GTX 460's in SLI will give you a total of 672 cores on a 256 bit bus.
460's will beat that setup any day and I don't care how hard you clock them. :) 

Ya 460SLI is still a viable setup today I mean GTX 580 class performance for $280 FTW but I would still go 6850 if it were me.
m
l
March 26, 2012 7:23:07 PM

galeener said:
Definately get rid of the PSU as soon as possible most of the complaints about cyber power have to do with either the xtreme gear branded psu's or the cyberpower branded ones.
Hmm i just looked on their site and it seems the xtreme gear supplys were not listed any longer for certain systems Wow this is great news because I image that psu cost them a lot in warranty and in their system reviews.
Guess I was wrong they are just calling them the standard supplys now the www.buykg.com on the psu was a give away.
Stay away from these supplys at all costs
I

Very true. Within 4 months of receiving my PC from Cyber Power I had to throw away my Xtreme Gear PSU, it was making the most annoying high pitched noise I had ever heard. So I purchased a brand new Corsair 80+ PSU and have not had an issue since. I skimped on the PSU and paid the price. I would never order from CP again unless all the components were some how cheaper than parting it out and building it myself. But I don't see that happening, especially since you have to wait so long for it to be built.
m
l
March 27, 2012 5:58:39 AM

Yea I wont deal with them ever again I actually ordered POWERSUPPLY: 900 Watts Power Supplies [+83] (Apevia Warlock Series) that is what was even on my order number and they gave me a *** power supply without telling me now I have to eat the cost for a new one. The ati 5770 just burned out in my cousins pc 2 months ago and they cant do anything about it. I probly just shoulda taken the thing back and ate 15% because it blue screened from the moment I pluged it in.
m
l
!