Sign in with
Your question

CMD phenom II x4 945 heats up

Last response: in CPUs
September 18, 2012 1:15:05 PM

Hey guys,

My system specs:
AMD Phenom II x4 945(using a stock fan)
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA770-UD3 (Socket M2)
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz (5-5-5-18)
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
Windows 7 64 bit os (ultimate)

I set the bios option that lets me know if the temperature of the processor more than 60 Celsius degrees.
I set the CPU voltage in the BIOS to 1.25.
When I open some windows internet at the same time, the computer makes the alarm for temperature, but the temperature test shows otherwise.

What should I do?

How do I know if my processor is 95W or 125W?

More about : cmd phenom 945 heats

a c 78 à CPUs
September 18, 2012 1:58:55 PM

Looks like your CPU is fine and your socket temp is over 60C.

If your CPU temp was over 60C, I would be worried.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2012 2:14:17 PM

What temperature test??

Why are you messing with voltage? Did you lower it? Raise it?

CPU-Z will tell you what cpu you have.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2012 2:53:32 PM

Vcore is 0.875v-1.425v
Max operating temperature 55c-62c
125 watt or 95 watt
Two models to choose from?
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 18, 2012 4:35:03 PM

Do you have any overclocks? Also, is your case filled with dust? Did you reapply thermalpaste after you installed your stock cooler? (if you installed this over a year ago)

AMD does tend to underrate their max operating temperatures, however, from that screenshot, 52C at ~50% load is way too high.
m
l
September 18, 2012 4:38:10 PM

geekapproved said:
What temperature test??

I lowered it from 1.325 to 1.25, is it ok?
Should i raise it back?
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 18, 2012 4:40:13 PM

Test for stability in Prime95 while monitoring your temperatures.

**EDIT**

Re-read your first post.

Is your stock heatsink clogged with dust? With that much volts, you should be seeing temperatures much lower.
m
l
September 18, 2012 4:49:17 PM

mocchan said:
Do you have any overclocks? Also, is your case filled with dust? Did you reapply thermalpaste after you installed your stock cooler? (if you installed this over a year ago)

AMD does tend to underrate their max operating temperatures, however, from that screenshot, 52C at ~50% load is way too high.

I dont have overclock, I cleaned my case from dust 3 month ago and I reapply thermalpaste about six months ago.
While the screenshot I opened 27 windows internet at the same time.
Is this action is more than 50% load? or nevertheless it is way too high?
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 18, 2012 4:55:28 PM

Is it hot inside your room? If so, this is probably what's affecting your CPU temperatures.

I remember on my X4 955 with the stock heatsink, I had an average 100% load temp (tested with Prime95 SmallFFT's) of around 55C.

If you could test 100% load temperatures, it would help us a lot :) 
m
l
September 18, 2012 5:06:32 PM

mocchan said:
Is it hot inside your room? If so, this is probably what's affecting your CPU temperatures.

I remember on my X4 955 with the stock heatsink, I had an average 100% load temp (tested with Prime95 SmallFFT's) of around 55C.

If you could test 100% load temperatures, it would help us a lot :) 

It is hot inside my room.
I'll do the test.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 18, 2012 5:08:18 PM

Do know what temperature it's inside your room? This would help a lot as well :) 
m
l
September 18, 2012 5:08:56 PM

geekapproved said:
What temperature test??

Is the CPU 95W?
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 18, 2012 5:10:27 PM

idan215 said:
Is the CPU 95W?

Yes, 95w.
m
l
September 18, 2012 5:18:48 PM

mocchan said:
Yes, 95w.

So the max temperature of the CPU is 71 C degrees, right?
m
l
September 18, 2012 5:19:51 PM

mocchan said:
Do know what temperature it's inside your room? This would help a lot as well :) 

Yes, 35 C degrees.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 18, 2012 5:24:02 PM

Max temperature of the Phenom II X4's are rated at 62C.

What are your 100% load temperatures and idle temperatures?

From the sounds of it, your temperatures seem to be fine considering how hot it is inside your room.
m
l
September 18, 2012 5:34:55 PM

mocchan said:

From the sounds of it, your temperatures seem to be fine considering how hot it is inside your room.

Can you guide me how to do the test?
m
l
a c 125 à CPUs
September 18, 2012 5:35:59 PM

As it gets hotter the fan will get faster and MUCH louder, so you should not overheat(despite its size, that cooler is very good, but loud. or at least if it is the same one from the X4 955's).

Please ensure you have cool n quiet(CnQ) enabled in the bios and the ballanced power plan set in windows as well.

Your cpu speed should drop when your system is under low loads(your cpu-z screen shows full speed). this reduces temperatures quite a bit.

If you want to test for 100% load, please use prime95's torture test. Monitor the temps and stop if it gets past 70(or whatever you feel is safe).

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

If you do not like your temps(first as suggested above, clean the heatsink, the fins are very close and hold dust.), a new heat sink if you are up to installing can greatly reduce the cpu temperatures for you as well.

EDIT
The 945 uses a less powerful heat sink then the 955(kind of to be expected, but not as good for a hot room).
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2012 5:48:43 PM

So it's 95f in your room and you want to know why your cpu is so hot? I mean seriously have you ever heard of air conditioning? How could you possibly sit in a 95f room and not pass out?

I would NOT recommend running prime95, you'll probably fry your cpu.
m
l
a c 125 à CPUs
September 18, 2012 5:56:27 PM

Not trying to be an ass or anything...but....
You know, some parts of the world ARE just hot(I am thinking India) and not everyone has AC(or can even afford it).

This seems like time for a aftermarket cooler to minimize the temperature rise over ambient.

I used to seal my systems in a hot room for stability testing with prime95 :)  Wanted to know it can take ANYTHING.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
September 18, 2012 5:57:24 PM

geekapproved said:
So it's 95f in your room and you want to know why your cpu is so hot? I mean seriously have you ever heard of air conditioning? How could you possibly sit in a 95f room and not pass out?

I would NOT recommend running prime95, you'll probably fry your cpu.

On second thought, yes, this is a good idea NOT to run Prime :lol: 
m
l
September 18, 2012 6:04:05 PM

I have AC and i use it but not always.
m
l
September 18, 2012 6:06:47 PM

what should i do in this step?
m
l
a c 125 à CPUs
September 18, 2012 6:40:07 PM

Did you join gimps?

You just want a torture test.

Cancel that window and hit Options then Torture Test.....

Then select what you want.

The first 2 are mostly CPU Small FFT and Large FFT
The third will test some memory as well.
Custom lets you tell it what to do.

A word of caution comes from above, so heed the warning and be very careful prime95 heats things up very fast. For example I can push from 30 -> 57c in about 15 seconds(and it settles in the low 60's after that. 2600k @ 4.4). Closing prime does not stop(because it goes to the system tray) it, you have to use File -> Stop or close the program from the right click context menu.

You have been warned.

Please before doing anything else use CPU-Z and see if your cpu clock is dropping when the system is doing nothing. If you just have no power management(cpu @ 3.0 all the time), then your prime temp jump will be much less then my jump from 1.6(this is the reason for low idle temps) -> 4.4(hello hot temps).

Example of power management for cpus. If you are getting lower speeds at idle, and still hitting the 50's at that time. Prime95 IS a BAD idea.

Also note that since almost nothing works the cpu like prime, these are a near worst case temperatures.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2012 6:46:52 PM

nukemaster said:
Not trying to be an ass or anything...but....
You know, some parts of the world ARE just hot(I am thinking India) and not everyone has AC(or can even afford it).

This seems like time for a aftermarket cooler to minimize the temperature rise over ambient.

I used to seal my systems in a hot room for stability testing with prime95 :)  Wanted to know it can take ANYTHING.

If he can afford a modern pc with Windows 7 he can afford a/c. It's 95f in my part of the world right now, but it's 78f in my house.

I don't know how anyone could sit in a room that's 95f. I mean I don't even see how any of your electronics could work with that much heat and humidity. Heat and humidity are what ruins electronics.
m
l
September 19, 2012 7:20:41 AM

mocchan said:

According to this the max temperature is 72 C degrees.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267803-28-phenom-125w
m
l
September 19, 2012 7:32:08 AM

geekapproved said:
If he can afford a modern pc with Windows 7 he can afford a/c. It's 95f in my part of the world right now, but it's 78f in my house.

I don't know how anyone could sit in a room that's 95f. I mean I don't even see how any of your electronics could work with that much heat and humidity. Heat and humidity are what ruins electronics.

The temperature outside is 35 C degrees, so I assumed that in my room the temperature is also 35 C degrees.
m
l
September 19, 2012 7:44:52 AM

Now, the temperture inside my room is about 23 C degrees.
The AC have been working for 40 min on 23 C degrees.
In this conditions:
m
l
September 19, 2012 7:59:19 AM

nukemaster said:
As it gets hotter the fan will get faster and MUCH louder, so you should not overheat(despite its size, that cooler is very good, but loud. or at least if it is the same one from the X4 955's).

Please ensure you have cool n quiet(CnQ) enabled in the bios and the ballanced power plan set in windows as well.

Your cpu speed should drop when your system is under low loads(your cpu-z screen shows full speed). this reduces temperatures quite a bit.

If you want to test for 100% load, please use prime95's torture test. Monitor the temps and stop if it gets past 70(or whatever you feel is safe).

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

If you do not like your temps(first as suggested above, clean the heatsink, the fins are very close and hold dust.), a new heat sink if you are up to installing can greatly reduce the cpu temperatures for you as well.

EDIT
The 945 uses a less powerful heat sink then the 955(kind of to be expected, but not as good for a hot room).

Can you recommend for a good heat sink?
m
l
September 19, 2012 8:13:59 AM

when my system is under low loads:
m
l
September 19, 2012 9:37:05 AM

nukemaster said:
Did you join gimps?

You just want a torture test.

Cancel that window and hit Options then Torture Test.....

Then select what you want.

The first 2 are mostly CPU Small FFT and Large FFT
The third will test some memory as well.
Custom lets you tell it what to do.

A word of caution comes from above, so heed the warning and be very careful prime95 heats things up very fast. For example I can push from 30 -> 57c in about 15 seconds(and it settles in the low 60's after that. 2600k @ 4.4). Closing prime does not stop(because it goes to the system tray) it, you have to use File -> Stop or close the program from the right click context menu.

You have been warned.

Please before doing anything else use CPU-Z and see if your cpu clock is dropping when the system is doing nothing. If you just have no power management(cpu @ 3.0 all the time), then your prime temp jump will be much less then my jump from 1.6(this is the reason for low idle temps) -> 4.4(hello hot temps).

Example of power management for cpus. If you are getting lower speeds at idle, and still hitting the 50's at that time. Prime95 IS a BAD idea.
http://imageshack.us/a/img339/3766/speedstepel6.gif

Also note that since almost nothing works the cpu like prime, these are a near worst case temperatures.

I checked the if my cpu clock is dropping when the system is doing nothing and it doesn't.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

what should i do?
m
l
a c 125 à CPUs
September 19, 2012 3:37:50 PM

I would hit start then type "power settings" then select Chance power-saving settings. On the next screen ensure you are on Balanced. If you are already on that, maybe you need to enable it in the bios(Advanced -> AMD K8 Cool&Quiet control -> Auto). Your idle temps do not seem THAT bad for stock cooling.

Your temps are not out of spec, but if you did want to swap out the cooler my recommendation are the Hyper 212 + or Evo whatever you can get for less.

at Newegg the EVO is list a bit more($1), but more quiet and has some adjustments to make it overall better. I would go with it :) . Very easy to install and one of the new AMD mounted heat sinks that can face any way(you want it to face the rear fan if the case for most users, some will point it up if you have a top case fan) if you want it to.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Please note this is not a small heatsink, so make sure your case at least has a rear 120mm fan since most cases with a fan that size will take the 212 coolers.

EDIT..

I just thought of something, when you set the voltage down, some boards turn off power savings(I would not worry if you are stable. your idles do not see overly bad for stock cooling). If you have an offset mode, use that. Please keep in mind that too little voltage will cause instability and offsets adjust voltage at load and idle so again too much negate offset will cause crashes.

I have played lots with undervolting cpus :)  I did so with a 955 BE(and it undervolts very well) just to get it cooler and quieter, then I just got a 212 + :)  I also undervolted a i5 750(Stock speeds and very cool running not every day you can get a cpu to idle on 0.8 volts[1.2ghz] and load 1.04 volts[2.8ghz].) and i7 920(overclocked too) both in the name of power savings.
m
l
September 19, 2012 7:23:19 PM

nukemaster said:
I would hit start then type "power settings" then select Chance power-saving settings. On the next screen ensure you are on Balanced. If you are already on that, maybe you need to enable it in the bios(Advanced -> AMD K8 Cool&Quiet control -> Auto). Your idle temps do not seem THAT bad for stock cooling.

Your temps are not out of spec, but if you did want to swap out the cooler my recommendation are the Hyper 212 + or Evo whatever you can get for less.

at Newegg the EVO is list a bit more($1), but more quiet and has some adjustments to make it overall better. I would go with it :) . Very easy to install and one of the new AMD mounted heat sinks that can face any way(you want it to face the rear fan if the case for most users, some will point it up if you have a top case fan) if you want it to.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Please note this is not a small heatsink, so make sure your case at least has a rear 120mm fan since most cases with a fan that size will take the 212 coolers.

EDIT..

I just thought of something, when you set the voltage down, some boards turn off power savings(I would not worry if you are stable. your idles do not see overly bad for stock cooling). If you have an offset mode, use that. Please keep in mind that too little voltage will cause instability and offsets adjust voltage at load and idle so again too much negate offset will cause crashes.

I have played lots with undervolting cpus :)  I did so with a 955 BE(and it undervolts very well) just to get it cooler and quieter, then I just got a 212 + :)  I also undervolted a i5 750(Stock speeds and very cool running not every day you can get a cpu to idle on 0.8 volts[1.2ghz] and load 1.04 volts[2.8ghz].) and i7 920(overclocked too) both in the name of power savings.

Thank you very much.

I did change the to power saver mode, it was on the high perfoemance.
Should I change it to balanced or to leave it on power saver?
It was in high performance very long time, there is a chance it hit the processor? can i check it?
m
l
a c 125 à CPUs
September 19, 2012 8:25:48 PM

Balanced seems to be the best for every day use. High performance will not hurt things. It just adds some heat and power consumption for most the most part.

CPU's are made with the ability to work very hard for years, so you did not harm the cpu in any way.

You can customize any profile as well, for instance, i have Balanced to no shut off hard drive and shut off the screen after 20 min and never sleep.

You an always restore the defaults for a plan if you do not like the results.

Did your speeds drop at idle chance with the new settings?
m
l
September 20, 2012 6:14:57 AM

nukemaster said:
Balanced seems to be the best for every day use. High performance will not hurt things. It just adds some heat and power consumption for most the most part.

CPU's are made with the ability to work very hard for years, so you did not harm the cpu in any way.

You can customize any profile as well, for instance, i have Balanced to no shut off hard drive and shut off the screen after 20 min and never sleep.

You an always restore the defaults for a plan if you do not like the results.

Did your speeds drop at idle chance with the new settings?

Yes :) 

m
l
a c 125 à CPUs
September 20, 2012 3:53:37 PM

Well at least we have your idle temps now :) 

If you put it under high load for extended times it will still get hot(this is normal).

Sometimes games will run a bit cooler because the cpu will be able to switch to different speeds(lower then full) while gaming when it does not need full power.

If a game loads it hard enough, it will get just as hot as it would without power savings, AMD specs it up to 72c, so that is the point you want to avoid.

Please note that some motherboard bios readings will show higher or lower then the actual core temperature. I like to use HWmon for my temperature reading. On some boards the readings will be very close and on others it will be 10+c difference in one direction or the other.

The only way to lower temps(load) any further is to play with voltage and test or swap out the heatsink for something will a bit more power.

I always wanted to try a 955BE(125 watt) heatsink(With a more quiet fan from an old 89 watt AMD cpu) on a lower TDP chip :) . The 955 heatsink was just LOUD...
m
l
September 20, 2012 6:17:42 PM

nukemaster said:
Well at least we have your idle temps now :) 

If you put it under high load for extended times it will still get hot(this is normal).

Sometimes games will run a bit cooler because the cpu will be able to switch to different speeds(lower then full) while gaming when it does not need full power.

If a game loads it hard enough, it will get just as hot as it would without power savings, AMD specs it up to 72c, so that is the point you want to avoid.

Please note that some motherboard bios readings will show higher or lower then the actual core temperature. I like to use HWmon for my temperature reading. On some boards the readings will be very close and on others it will be 10+c difference in one direction or the other.

The only way to lower temps(load) any further is to play with voltage and test or swap out the heatsink for something will a bit more power.

I always wanted to try a 955BE(125 watt) heatsink(With a more quiet fan from an old 89 watt AMD cpu) on a lower TDP chip :) . The 955 heatsink was just LOUD...

The temperature with high performance was 62~63 C degrees, so if cpu's max temp is 72 C degrees I shouldn't play with the voltage and test or swap out the heatsink, right?

Both of the software of the temperature reading show the same temps.

m
l
a c 125 à CPUs
September 20, 2012 6:23:23 PM

You should be OK(as long as you are not running prime95 or Folding@Home all day.), The one marked CPU in HWmon may or may not be what the board sees for a cpu temperature(thus the warnings).

I say may or may not because sometimes it will not get the right temperatures(HWmon has to work with so much hardware it is not perfect, but good for cpu/video/HDD/SSD temps :)  ).

Leaving the system in balanced mode is my recommendation as it will still clock up as soon as it is needed(and in steps so it will only go as fast as it has to).
m
l
September 20, 2012 6:41:43 PM

Thank you all, you helped me alot :) 
m
l
a c 125 à CPUs
September 20, 2012 6:48:20 PM

I just made an image to show you just how much a cpu changes frequency. This is just over 2-3 seconds

Note this is a newer Intel CPU so it does things a bit different(Your cpu all cores follow the same speed and not each core, but you get the point.). Also note that the Asus software calls my cpu much cooler. and hwmon calls CPUTIN 60c all day long.

m
l
September 21, 2012 11:18:05 AM

nukemaster said:
I just made an image to show you just how much a cpu changes frequency. This is just over 2-3 seconds

Note this is a newer Intel CPU so it does things a bit different(Your cpu all cores follow the same speed and not each core, but you get the point.). Also note that the Asus software calls my cpu much cooler. and hwmon calls CPUTIN 60c all day long.
]http://imageshack.us/a/img707/4238/powersavings.th.jpg

Which software do you recommended to use?
m
l
a c 125 à CPUs
September 21, 2012 3:15:41 PM

hwmon or the other software you had been using seems to work fine, just saying that what the bios sees does not always match what the cpu's internal sensor says.
m
l
!