CMD phenom II x4 945 heats up

idan215

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Hey guys,

My system specs:
AMD Phenom II x4 945(using a stock fan)
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA770-UD3 (Socket M2)
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz (5-5-5-18)
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
Windows 7 64 bit os (ultimate)

I set the bios option that lets me know if the temperature of the processor more than 60 Celsius degrees.
I set the CPU voltage in the BIOS to 1.25.
When I open some windows internet at the same time, the computer makes the alarm for temperature, but the temperature test shows otherwise.

29pp8bb.png

What should I do?

How do I know if my processor is 95W or 125W?

Do you have any overclocks? Also, is your case filled with dust? Did you reapply thermalpaste after you installed your stock cooler? (if you installed this over a year ago)

AMD does tend to underrate their max operating temperatures, however, from that screenshot, 52C at ~50% load is way too high.

idan215

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

I lowered it from 1.325 to 1.25, is it ok?
Should i raise it back?

idan215

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

I dont have overclock, I cleaned my case from dust 3 month ago and I reapply thermalpaste about six months ago.
While the screenshot I opened 27 windows internet at the same time.
Is this action is more than 50% load? or nevertheless it is way too high?

Is it hot inside your room? If so, this is probably what's affecting your CPU temperatures.

I remember on my X4 955 with the stock heatsink, I had an average 100% load temp (tested with Prime95 SmallFFT's) of around 55C.

If you could test 100% load temperatures, it would help us a lot :)

idan215

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

It is hot inside my room.
I'll do the test.

idan215

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Can you guide me how to do the test?

As it gets hotter the fan will get faster and MUCH louder, so you should not overheat(despite its size, that cooler is very good, but loud. or at least if it is the same one from the X4 955's).

Please ensure you have cool n quiet(CnQ) enabled in the bios and the ballanced power plan set in windows as well.

Your cpu speed should drop when your system is under low loads(your cpu-z screen shows full speed). this reduces temperatures quite a bit.

If you want to test for 100% load, please use prime95's torture test. Monitor the temps and stop if it gets past 70(or whatever you feel is safe).

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

If you do not like your temps(first as suggested above, clean the heatsink, the fins are very close and hold dust.), a new heat sink if you are up to installing can greatly reduce the cpu temperatures for you as well.

EDIT
The 945 uses a less powerful heat sink then the 955(kind of to be expected, but not as good for a hot room).

Not trying to be an ass or anything...but....
You know, some parts of the world ARE just hot(I am thinking India) and not everyone has AC(or can even afford it).

This seems like time for a aftermarket cooler to minimize the temperature rise over ambient.

I used to seal my systems in a hot room for stability testing with prime95 :) Wanted to know it can take ANYTHING.

On second thought, yes, this is a good idea NOT to run Prime :lol:

Did you join gimps?

You just want a torture test.

Cancel that window and hit Options then Torture Test.....

Then select what you want.

The first 2 are mostly CPU Small FFT and Large FFT
The third will test some memory as well.
Custom lets you tell it what to do.

A word of caution comes from above, so heed the warning and be very careful prime95 heats things up very fast. For example I can push from 30 -> 57c in about 15 seconds(and it settles in the low 60's after that. 2600k @ 4.4). Closing prime does not stop(because it goes to the system tray) it, you have to use File -> Stop or close the program from the right click context menu.

You have been warned.

Please before doing anything else use CPU-Z and see if your cpu clock is dropping when the system is doing nothing. If you just have no power management(cpu @ 3.0 all the time), then your prime temp jump will be much less then my jump from 1.6(this is the reason for low idle temps) -> 4.4(hello hot temps).

Example of power management for cpus. If you are getting lower speeds at idle, and still hitting the 50's at that time. Prime95 IS a BAD idea.
speedstepel6.gif

Also note that since almost nothing works the cpu like prime, these are a near worst case temperatures.

If he can afford a modern pc with Windows 7 he can afford a/c. It's 95f in my part of the world right now, but it's 78f in my house.

I don't know how anyone could sit in a room that's 95f. I mean I don't even see how any of your electronics could work with that much heat and humidity. Heat and humidity are what ruins electronics.