6600 Firmware update question

Last response: in Brands
May 29, 2004 7:05:45 PM

Anyone here updated the firmware from V3.42.1 16-10-03 to V4.09.1
26-02-04

And did you notice any benefits or was there more problems after.
Also can I have it done for free as my phone is still in warrantee, or
does there need to be a fault that is known with the old firmware
before its free.

Thanks
--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

Free Phone Unlocking http://unlockme.co.uk

10p a Picture Message/MMS http://www.mmsit.co.uk/

http://www.davessite.co.uk Trike Power the TRUE Trinity
May 30, 2004 12:18:20 AM

> And did you notice any benefits or was there more problems after.
> Also can I have it done for free as my phone is still in warrantee, or
> does there need to be a fault that is known with the old firmware
> before its free.

Pros:
- phone runs a bit faster
- when writing a new text message in To field default input mode is numbers
(in older firmware it was letters and it was very irritating)
- number of applications that didn't run on old firmware now you run with no
problems
- complete list of improvments >
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2...

Cons:
- you can't send SIS and JAR files to another phone using Email, Bluetooth
or IR (you can still send them, but you need rename the file to eg.
applications.sis > applications.si to send it; this is very irritating)
- I have been expiriencing wierd ringing problem but I'm not sure if this is
due the firmware (ringing for incoming call sometimes stops after few
seconds or doesn't sound at all)
- small number of application don't work with noew firmware

Very Big Con:
You STILL can't use 6600 to connect PC to internet over GPRS (this is the
reason I'm considering selling my 6600, which is otherwis a great phone).
May 30, 2004 12:21:54 AM

"ß Ø ® G" <borg@deadspam.com> wrote in message
> Anyone here updated the firmware from V3.42.1 16-10-03 to V4.09.1
> 26-02-04
>
> And did you notice any benefits or was there more problems after.
> Also can I have it done for free as my phone is still in warrantee, or
> does there need to be a fault that is known with the old firmware
> before its free.

Did it 3 days ago. For me personally the phone is much faster. I've yet to
see the "opening files" bar that used to plague the phone for about 5-8
seconds - the barI got with 3.42.1. No problems encontered re apps and
games.

The 6600 is not yet a year old, I believe, so all will be under warranty and
it won't cost a penny/dime for the upgrade. My problem was finding a Nokia
service centre that could do it. In the end I travelled 30 miles to another
town to get it done and I waited about 30 mins. Well worth it. Speed is
the only reason I had it upgraded as the wait to open files was becoming a
pain.

Take out your mem card and sim card when/if you have it done. And be
warned - you'll lose everything on the phone memory so back it up.

-Carl
Related resources
May 30, 2004 12:28:48 AM

Just found a problem. I tried to play a small vid clip and it played
without sound. Worked fine on 3.42.1. Its probably because Real Player has
been updated in 4.9.1. No problem, I covert all my vid clips to using
Quicktime Pro for the phone so I'll redo them.

If you read my post "512kb file size limit...." dated 28/05/04 dont worry,
it was my new bluetooth handset manager software which had been upgraded and
caused the prob. I'm back on the old version and all is well.

-Carl
May 30, 2004 12:56:13 AM

> My problem was finding a Nokia service centre that could do it.
> In the end I travelled 30 miles to another
> town to get it done and I waited about 30 mins. Well worth it. Speed is
> the only reason I had it upgraded as the wait to open files was becoming a
> pain.

Carl,

Have you got a list of any Nokia service centre's that do it?
My local one told me they dont do it but they can send the phone to Nokia and they will do it.
It will only take 2 weeks or so. . .
I couldn't live a day without it so id rather wait 30min's like you did.
ps, im in the Manchester area.

THE BLACKPANTHER
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 1:52:12 AM

BP,

Call Nokia (01480 434343) and ask for the nearest service centre (level 3 I
think you'll need, for s/w upgrade)

Good luck

"Blackpanther" <noaddress@spamfree.co.uk> wrote in message

> > My problem was finding a Nokia service centre that could do it.
> > In the end I travelled 30 miles to another
> > town to get it done and I waited about 30 mins. Well worth it. Speed
is
> > the only reason I had it upgraded as the wait to open files was becoming
> > pain.
>

> Carl,
>
> Have you got a list of any Nokia service centre's that do it?
> My local one told me they dont do it but they can send the phone to Nokia
and they will do it.
> It will only take 2 weeks or so. . .
> I couldn't live a day without it so id rather wait 30min's like you did.
> ps, im in the Manchester area.
>

> THE BLACKPANTHER

Anonymous
May 30, 2004 8:09:22 PM

"Kevin I Chapple" <kevinx@NOTTHISBITearthling.net> wrote in message
> BP,
>
> Call Nokia (01480 434343) and ask for the nearest service centre (level 3
> think you'll need, for s/w upgrade)
>
> Good luck
>

> "Blackpanther" <noaddress@spamfree.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > > My problem was finding a Nokia service centre that could do it.
> > > In the end I travelled 30 miles to another
> > > town to get it done and I waited about 30 mins. Well worth it. Speed
> is
> > > the only reason I had it upgraded as the wait to open files was
becoming
> > > pain.
> >

> > Carl,
> >
> > Have you got a list of any Nokia service centre's that do it?
> > My local one told me they dont do it but they can send the phone to
Nokia
> and they will do it.
> > It will only take 2 weeks or so. . .
> > I couldn't live a day without it so id rather wait 30min's like you did.
> > ps, im in the Manchester area.
> >

> > THE BLACKPANTHER

How do you tell which version of firmware you are running? Does the new
version correct the GPRS modem problem?
Thanks
Rachael

Anonymous
May 30, 2004 8:33:25 PM

> Very Big Con:
> You STILL can't use 6600 to connect PC to internet over GPRS (this is the
> reason I'm considering selling my 6600, which is otherwis a great phone).

I've used my 6600 to connect to the Internet with my PC since version
3.42.1, has worked perfectly, and still works fine on 4.09.1 Trick is to
NOT use the Nokia PC Suite software to do it! There's three things you
really need to do to get it working:

1. Go to Tools>Settings>Connection>GPRS, and set the Access Point to the
FULL GPRS access point of your service providor, and NOT the WAP APN. For
O2 customers in the UK, its mobile.o2.co.uk all on lower case, and for
Vodafone UK users its simply the word internet in lower case.

2. On your PC, in your modem settings, set the 'extra dial string commands'
to:

+CGDCONT=1,"IP","full_gprs_apn" all in capitals.

replacing full_gprs_apn with the full gprs apn for your providor, so for O2
UK it would be:

+CGDCONT=1,"IP","MOBILE.O2.CO.UK"

3. When it asks you for a phone number to call when setting up the
connection on your PC, enter the phone number as *99#. This is a dummy
number that forces your phone to connect to GPRS. When asked for a username
and password, enter the username and password for the full GPRS APN, which
will be provided by your service provider. For O2 UK customers, the
username is username, and the password is password, so nice and easy! for
Vodafone UK, the username is web, and the password is web.

Any queries contact me, I work for a major mobile phone company and I spend
8 hours a day setting phones up for just this sort of thing!

Mario
Anonymous
May 31, 2004 3:15:09 AM

"Rachael"

On your phone *#0000# will show you your s/w version.
Current (latest) version 4.09.01
Good luck

"Rachael Reynolds" <rachael.reynolds@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Kevin I Chapple" <kevinx@NOTTHISBITearthling.net> wrote in message
> > BP,
> >
> > Call Nokia (01480 434343) and ask for the nearest service centre (level
3
> > think you'll need, for s/w upgrade)
> >
> > Good luck
> >

> > "Blackpanther" <noaddress@spamfree.co.uk> wrote in message

Speed
> > is
> becoming
> > >

> > > Carl,
> > >
> > > Have you got a list of any Nokia service centre's that do it?
> > > My local one told me they dont do it but they can send the phone to
> Nokia
> > and they will do it.
> > > It will only take 2 weeks or so. . .
> > > I couldn't live a day without it so id rather wait 30min's like you
did.
> > > ps, im in the Manchester area.
> > >

> > > THE BLACKPANTHER
>
> How do you tell which version of firmware you are running? Does the new
> version correct the GPRS modem problem?
> Thanks
> Rachael

Anonymous
May 31, 2004 3:20:13 AM

"Mario"

Would you suggest this will work on a handheld device? (Palm Tungsten to be
precise).

Used to connect to the "net" with Palm Tungsten (when away from my pc) and
Nokia 6310i. Worked fine. Palm Tungsten and Nokia 3650, worked fine. Palm
Tungsten and 6600 don't work :-(

Wonder if you have any info, or know of ANYONE!! that has managed to connect
a TT with 6600, to the "net"

Cheers

NB
Also posted to Palm n/g, asit's either the phone of the Palm that doesn't
wish to communicate with each other.

"Mario Sarno" <mariosarno@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Very Big Con:
> > You STILL can't use 6600 to connect PC to internet over GPRS (this is
the
> > reason I'm considering selling my 6600, which is otherwis a great
phone).

> I've used my 6600 to connect to the Internet with my PC since version
> 3.42.1, has worked perfectly, and still works fine on 4.09.1 Trick is to
> NOT use the Nokia PC Suite software to do it! There's three things you
> really need to do to get it working:
>
> 1. Go to Tools>Settings>Connection>GPRS, and set the Access Point to the
> FULL GPRS access point of your service providor, and NOT the WAP APN. For
> O2 customers in the UK, its mobile.o2.co.uk all on lower case, and for
> Vodafone UK users its simply the word internet in lower case.
>
> 2. On your PC, in your modem settings, set the 'extra dial string
commands'
> to:
>
> +CGDCONT=1,"IP","full_gprs_apn" all in capitals.
>
> replacing full_gprs_apn with the full gprs apn for your providor, so for
O2
> UK it would be:
>
> +CGDCONT=1,"IP","MOBILE.O2.CO.UK"
>
> 3. When it asks you for a phone number to call when setting up the
> connection on your PC, enter the phone number as *99#. This is a dummy
> number that forces your phone to connect to GPRS. When asked for a
username
> and password, enter the username and password for the full GPRS APN, which
> will be provided by your service provider. For O2 UK customers, the
> username is username, and the password is password, so nice and easy! for
> Vodafone UK, the username is web, and the password is web.
>
> Any queries contact me, I work for a major mobile phone company and I
spend
> 8 hours a day setting phones up for just this sort of thing!
>
> Mario

May 31, 2004 8:37:07 PM

In article <c9ashd$9ds$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, Kevin I Chapple wrote:
> BP,
>
> Call Nokia (01480 434343) and ask for the nearest service centre (level 3 I
> think you'll need, for s/w upgrade)
>
> Good luck

Thanks for that info kevin,
I got a list but every one wanted to keep my phone, they said it would take min 48hrs and up to 2 weeks.
They offered to lend me a phone at a cost of £39!!!

I may just keep it as it is, the only thing i miss is call divert,
(im on V3.49.1 05-12-03) and this firmware had call divert missing for some reason.

Eveything else is fine, ive had no crashes or error's on it so far. (6 month's old)

THE BLACKPANTHER
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 4:23:58 AM

BP

Mmm. You should live in the South, mate. They will do it while you wait :-)

(I'm still waiting for the NEXT s/w release, AFTER 4.09.01) There is a KNOWN
bluetooth issue, since the release of the phone. Handset does NOT go into
"sniff mode" when BT audio (headset) is attached. Problem?? Talk time,
standby time (of BT headset) is reduced, and also the phone standby time is
reduced. Nokia ARE aware of this issue, which (apparently) also affects
NOKIA BT headsets :-(

I gues you have called Nokia. Have you tried CRC (Rugby)? These are another
(big) Nokia agency. They are able to s/w upgrade, and (I think) even offer
free postage (query that). Contact 08456 074444/08700 114880. Don't know
what their turnaround time is though?

Cheers

> In article <c9ashd$9ds$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, Kevin I Chapple wrote:

> > BP,
> >
> > Call Nokia (01480 434343) and ask for the nearest service centre (level
3 I
> > think you'll need, for s/w upgrade)
> >
> > Good luck
>

> Thanks for that info kevin,
> I got a list but every one wanted to keep my phone, they said it would
take min 48hrs and up to 2 weeks.
> They offered to lend me a phone at a cost of £39!!!
>
> I may just keep it as it is, the only thing i miss is call divert,
> (im on V3.49.1 05-12-03) and this firmware had call divert missing for
some reason.

> Eveything else is fine, ive had no crashes or error's on it so far. (6
month's old)

> THE BLACKPANTHER

June 1, 2004 9:16:03 AM

In article <c9ge5i$s11$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, Kevin I Chapple wrote:
> BP
>
> Mmm. You should live in the South, mate. They will do it while you wait :-)
>
> (I'm still waiting for the NEXT s/w release, AFTER 4.09.01) There is a KNOWN
> bluetooth issue, since the release of the phone. Handset does NOT go into
> "sniff mode" when BT audio (headset) is attached. Problem?? Talk time,
> standby time (of BT headset) is reduced, and also the phone standby time is
> reduced. Nokia ARE aware of this issue, which (apparently) also affects
> NOKIA BT headsets :-(
>
> I gues you have called Nokia. Have you tried CRC (Rugby)? These are another
> (big) Nokia agency. They are able to s/w upgrade, and (I think) even offer
> free postage (query that). Contact 08456 074444/08700 114880. Don't know
> what their turnaround time is though?

Like i said, i may just leave it be for now,
If they bring out another firmware soon i will look again at getting it done.
It may even call for a drive down south to get it done while i wait!
Yes id rather spend £40 on fuel and a long drive rather than been without my phone :-)

THE BLACKPANTHER
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 10:54:18 PM

..> > Anyone here updated the firmware from V3.42.1 16-10-03 to V4.09.1
> > 26-02-04

> Did it 3 days ago.
How would I back up all my information? I have a memory card and a few
applications on the phone itself. Many Thanks.

The Queen
!