Sign in with
Your question

Possible SLI Flashing/Flickering Solution

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 26, 2012 7:59:54 AM

I may have found a solution to the Flickering/Flashing screen problem that many users are having. I bought 2 560TI 2GB/OC cards brand new for a new computer build I put together. I updated to the newest driver and started to benchmark to see performance. Using Heaven and 3dMark I quickly found a major problem, the screen flickers and flashing like CRAZY, a strobe effect. My framerate as far as I could tell was very good, but the flashing made it very unplayable. The flashing continued when playing 3d games like WoW. I tried every possible solution I found online. Nothing worked. Tested both card alone, no issues. Stock CPU speed, OC speeds, Changed voltage, replaced SLI bridge, flipped bridge to every which way I could think, nothing worked.

Windowed mode, everything worked fine, and it I say heaven to use Multi-monitor is worked fine as well. This got me to thinking that it could be a monitor issue, or my computer is trying to run multiple monitors on one display. (Does not make much sense, but I was thinking of anything) So what I did was force my computer to detect another display under the screen resolution and set it to try to connect anyway on: VGA. This in a way tricked (like that is possible) may computer into showing I had multiple displays. Once that was setup I set to duplicate these displays under the Multiple Displays Menu. Basically now it shows two monitors both displaying the same screen.

Strange enough, this completely stopped all the flickering I was experiencing in Heaven/3DMark or anthing 3D game I have tested so far. What I do not know is if this "fix" will cause a drain on performance or cause any other issues. If some of you that are having the problem could try this solution and see if it works for you let me know please. If you are not having the problem and still want to contribute please do so as well.

Thanks!

More about : sli flashing flickering solution

July 16, 2012 3:35:36 AM

jcvaughn86 said:
I may have found a solution to the Flickering/Flashing screen problem that many users are having. I bought 2 560TI 2GB/OC cards brand new for a new computer build I put together. I updated to the newest driver and started to benchmark to see performance. Using Heaven and 3dMark I quickly found a major problem, the screen flickers and flashing like CRAZY, a strobe effect. My framerate as far as I could tell was very good, but the flashing made it very unplayable. The flashing continued when playing 3d games like WoW. I tried every possible solution I found online. Nothing worked. Tested both card alone, no issues. Stock CPU speed, OC speeds, Changed voltage, replaced SLI bridge, flipped bridge to every which way I could think, nothing worked.

Windowed mode, everything worked fine, and it I say heaven to use Multi-monitor is worked fine as well. This got me to thinking that it could be a monitor issue, or my computer is trying to run multiple monitors on one display. (Does not make much sense, but I was thinking of anything) So what I did was force my computer to detect another display under the screen resolution and set it to try to connect anyway on: VGA. This in a way tricked (like that is possible) may computer into showing I had multiple displays. Once that was setup I set to duplicate these displays under the Multiple Displays Menu. Basically now it shows two monitors both displaying the same screen.

Strange enough, this completely stopped all the flickering I was experiencing in Heaven/3DMark or anthing 3D game I have tested so far. What I do not know is if this "fix" will cause a drain on performance or cause any other issues. If some of you that are having the problem could try this solution and see if it works for you let me know please. If you are not having the problem and still want to contribute please do so as well.

Thanks!

Hi JC,

The solution worked for me too, thanks so much for posting it! However---and I may just be imagining this---the controls on my games seem a bit less responsive (I was just playing Batman Arkham City). Have you noticed anything like this? The only thing I could figure is that the fix somehow doubled up the response time between the controller and the action on screen, but I'm no engineer. Have you noticed any other issues, or learned anything new since you posted about the underlying cause?

Given that your solution worked, I think what caused the problem for me was hooking up my laptop to an external monitor. I'm not sure why this would cause an issue, but perhaps my system still "thinks" it's hooked up to that monitor even when it's not.

Thanks again!

Alex
m
l
!