Core i5 3rd gen or bulldozer 8120

biki77

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Hello,
this is tanvir,iam having a trouble in my mind whether to buy a amd or i5 for gaming and fast pc....and a important question is if i take any of them do i need a extra cpu cooler for that?
help me out guys
thanks

You only need an aftermarket cooler for overclocking, though even if you don't overclock it is still an option if you want to reduce noise.
Most Core i5's only overclock a little; the only Ivy Bridge i5 that overclocks "freely" is the i5-3570k. So generally, a 3570k goes best with an aftermarket cooler, while the stock cooler is fine for the rest.

biki77

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
owk its clearing that i should go for i5 for better gaming performance rather than going with amd
so if i buy a cooler like thermaltake,i can use it in both amd and intel(i dnt want to overclock just to cool the preocessor)
but not sure whether to take amd or intel :(

sunnk

Distinguished
the i5 is much better in gaming the fx 8120 will be good for office work multitasking and video encoding if u r getting the fx 8120 for gaming then dnt even think about it because in gaming it sucks up against i5 but for multitasing its very good the i5 will be much better choice for future gpu upgrade too and for gaming :)

Yes if you want to play crappily coded console ports like Skyrim, definitely go Intel. But if you're playing the newest and best games actually made to modern standards with DX11, the FX is worth a look.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1285/pg10/amd-fx-8150-black-edition-8-core-processor-vs-core-i7-2600k-review-deus-ex-human-revolution.html

Even so, the difference between these CPUs is zero in terms of actual noticeable difference. And yes, it may be worth going i5 just to avoid the Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde thing. You have to know what you're getting into with Bulldozers before I'd recommend one.

Excuse me, there are 3 games in that bench,, and all 3 of them are DirectX 11 games, and all of them have consistent results. Direct X 11 games the FX-8 has a small, and granted unnoticeable edge. So, I reiterate, games made with older standards, it absolutely is dismal that some of these games the FX-8s cannot hold up their end of the bargain, but that does mean they are not viable alternative to more expensively priced Intel chips.

And I don't necessarily disagree with you. We always seem to end up in these knock down, drag out fist fights over this arbitrary crap. As I said, games made to older standards, thats the key phrase here, the FX-8 has been known to not do as well in, and in some cases the difference is substantial.

And as I said, it depends on the user's needs. If I were buying a CPU today, and I knew I was only going to play DX 11 games like BF3, or Dues X or Shogun 2, why should I pay $200 for an i5-3450, $230 for an i5-3570K, when I could have an FX-8120 for $160? See my point? I'm not going to say the OP should buy one or the other, because I don't have enough information about exactly what he wants to do with the computer. I know you prefer to adopt a "one size fits all" policy on the subject, thats fine. But I'm going to present the flip-side, don't take it so personal. We don't get paid enough on these forums to take stuff so personal. :pt1cable: