Sign in with
Your question

Comp keeps jamming on High end games

Last response: in CPUs
September 18, 2012 6:07:34 PM

Hi all, small problem lately and I'm wondering if you can help me out.

I've always played games in High detail and never had a problem, I re-installed BFBC2 lately and on medium settings it's was fine. I turn to high, it was great aswell 1366 resolution, then after a while my computer jams, have to reset the computer by turning it off by the power.

It just done it again on Ghost Recon, I figured it was just BFBC2 - same details High - 1366 resolution.

What could it be? My temps seem fine my CPU is a Intel duo core e8400 3.0
and my graphics card is an Ati Radeon 4850 512mb

I did get a message early today saying the driver had crashed and it reset itself, whilst on desktop.
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2012 6:18:50 PM

tilyardinit said:

I did get a message early today saying the driver had crashed and it reset itself, whilst on desktop.

I'd try reinstall or update the drivers.
September 18, 2012 6:19:51 PM

Ok I'll try that now, could it be anything else?
Related resources
September 18, 2012 6:32:12 PM

tilyardinit said:
Ok I'll try that now, could it be anything else?

I'd say bad driver. Honestly, uninstall Catalyst all together and reinstall it. NEVER use programs like driver genius unless you're absolutely clueless as to the S/N of the items in your PC. I've used it a few times without problems but then there are other times where it takes what supposed to be a simple process and completely ruins everything. But if you're clueless as to the current hardware in your PC, give it a try. Worse comes to worst, reinstall Windows if it causes any major issues.

If that doesn't work, try reseating the card. Sometimes the expansion and contraction of the internal components as they heat up can cause it to become dislodged (hard to believe but I've seen it) and try again.

If all else fails, check yout PSU for failures. I WAS having the same problem. Computer was fine during regular use but after launching a game such as STO or SKYRIM on my Radeon HD 7850, the computer would lock up after a bit requiring a hard restart. Replaced the power supply unit, and presto. Problem gone.

It's a worse case scenario but it's worth investigating.
September 18, 2012 7:39:43 PM

snowzsan said:
I'd say bad driver. Honestly, uninstall Catalyst all together and reinstall it. NEVER use programs like driver genius unless you're absolutely clueless as to the S/N of the items in your PC. I've used it a few times without problems but then there are other times where it takes what supposed to be a simple process and completely ruins everything. But if you're clueless as to the current hardware in your PC, give it a try. Worse comes to worst, reinstall Windows if it causes any major issues.

If that doesn't work, try reseating the card. Sometimes the expansion and contraction of the internal components as they heat up can cause it to become dislodged (hard to believe but I've seen it) and try again.

If all else fails, check yout PSU for failures. I WAS having the same problem. Computer was fine during regular use but after launching a game such as STO or SKYRIM on my Radeon HD 7850, the computer would lock up after a bit requiring a hard restart. Replaced the power supply unit, and presto. Problem gone.

Hi great reply, I have re-installed my drivers and been playing games High since the making of the thread and no problems so far. But I'll see how it goes over the next day, my eyes are on the PSU - as it's a cheap one, so I'll happily replace if this carries on, because I'd need the upgrade anyway.

I'm glad the CPU/GPU wasn't mentioned as a problem as right now I couldn't afford another one, I thought it was the CPU but eh, great it's working cool atm so ty
September 18, 2012 8:43:45 PM

snowzsan said:

Ah, it jamed again. I'm guessing it's the PSU - will I be damaging my computer if I continue to use for browsing etc, not really for games until I get a new 1?
a b à CPUs
September 19, 2012 12:23:17 AM

tilyardinit said:
Ah, it jamed again. I'm guessing it's the PSU - will I be damaging my computer if I continue to use for browsing etc, not really for games until I get a new 1?

If a PSU is damaged then i would replace it as quickly as possible, as it is not a component you'd want to have keep running if there is in fact something wrong with it. Overall though if you keep the loads low so the PSU won't have to do much work, then i think you can roll with it for a while until you can try another unit.

September 19, 2012 7:37:55 AM

CDdude55 said:
If a PSU is damaged then i would replace it as quickly as possible, as it is not a component you'd want to have keep running if there is in fact something wrong with it. Overall though if you keep the loads low so the PSU won't have to do much work, then i think you can roll with it for a while until you can try another unit.

Yeah, I just simply need to browse for another PSU etc and check mails. So apart from that probably won't do much else. good to know, thanks.
September 19, 2012 8:56:56 PM

tilyardinit said:
Yeah, I just simply need to browse for another PSU etc and check mails. So apart from that probably won't do much else. good to know, thanks.

Yeah just replace it ASAP as stated. A faulty PSU can cause a boat load of other issues that, as you previously stated, you don't want to have to address financially. Depending on how it goes, it could potentially take your MOBO, CPU, and GPU with it. Overall, a decent PSU isn't that expensive.

Here's an idea of how cheap a better know PSU is http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Overall, don't risk it. Even for moderate to low usage, it's still using the PSU, so the risk is still there. It's completely up to you when you do it but just think about how much it'll cost to replace nearly all the components inside your PC when it could have been prevented for $50.
!