Internet Explorer Addresses

Behind the address window in IE there are the various addresses one
has visited. How can you selectively delete some of them?

Colin
10 answers Last reply
More about internet explorer addresses

    Hi there,

    Here is what you can try:

    Open Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, and then
    click the General tab.
    Click Delete Cookies, and then click OK.
    Click Delete Files, and then click OK.
    Click Clear History, and then click Yes.
    Click OK.

    Also, try these steps:

    1. Click Start, run, type "inetcpl.cpl" (with out quotation marks) and click
    OK.
    2. Click the Content tab and hit the Autocomplete button.
    3. In the resulting window, hit the Clear Forms and Clear Passwords button.
    4. Click OK.

    Finally, download and install a patch to clear the history of typed URL:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/typedurls.reg

    Usage: Double-click the file and answer and YES when prompted.

    HTH
    Venkatesh

    <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Behind the address window in IE there are the various addresses one
    > has visited. How can you selectively delete some of them?
    >
    > Colin

    Hi Colin,

    One way to selectively delete an url is via the registry at
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs".

    You'll see your URL history named consecutively, url1, url2, etc. If you
    remove an url and break the chronology I think IE will only show urls up to
    the break, so you'll want to rename them if you're trying to keep the
    remaining urls in the history after your deletion, i.e., if I delete url6
    then I would want to rename url7 to url6, url8 to url7, etc. Maybe not the
    simplest approach but it will work.

    <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Behind the address window in IE there are the various addresses one
    > has visited. How can you selectively delete some of them?
    >
    > Colin

    Or if you delete url6 rename the last url to url6 - might save a bit of time
    ;)

    Shiv
    "Bruce Hendry" <bruce@binya.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Colin,
    >
    > One way to selectively delete an url is via the registry at
    > "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs".
    >
    > You'll see your URL history named consecutively, url1, url2, etc. If you
    > remove an url and break the chronology I think IE will only show urls up
    > to the break, so you'll want to rename them if you're trying to keep the
    > remaining urls in the history after your deletion, i.e., if I delete url6
    > then I would want to rename url7 to url6, url8 to url7, etc. Maybe not
    > the simplest approach but it will work.
    >
    > <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> Behind the address window in IE there are the various addresses one
    >> has visited. How can you selectively delete some of them?
    >>
    >> Colin

    I bill by the hour... ;)

    "Venkatesh [MS India Community Star]" <SAYNO2SPAM.venkatesh00@hotmail.com> wrote:
    | Hi there,
    |
    | Here is what you can try:
    |
    | Open Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    | On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, and then
    | click the General tab.
    | Click Delete Cookies, and then click OK.
    | Click Delete Files, and then click OK.
    | Click Clear History, and then click Yes.
    | Click OK.
    |
    | Also, try these steps:
    |
    | 1. Click Start, run, type "inetcpl.cpl" (with out quotation marks) and click
    | OK.
    | 2. Click the Content tab and hit the Autocomplete button.
    | 3. In the resulting window, hit the Clear Forms and Clear Passwords button.
    | 4. Click OK.
    |
    | Finally, download and install a patch to clear the history of typed URL:
    | http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/typedurls.reg
    |
    | Usage: Double-click the file and answer and YES when prompted.
    |
    | HTH
    | Venkatesh
    |

    | <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    | > Behind the address window in IE there are the various addresses one
    | > has visited. How can you selectively delete some of them?

    Colin wants to "selectively delete SOME of them", not "ALL of them".

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 18:39:55 GMT, "Bruce Hendry" <bruce@binya.com>
    wrote:

    >I bill by the hour... ;)
    >
    >"Milamber³" <milamber@email.com> wrote in message
    >> Or if you delete url6 rename the last url to url6 - might save a bit of
    >> time
    >> ;)
    >>
    >> Shiv
    >> "Bruce Hendry" <bruce@binya.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Colin,
    >>>
    >>> One way to selectively delete an url is via the registry at
    >>> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs".
    >>>
    >>> You'll see your URL history named consecutively, url1, url2, etc. If you
    >>> remove an url and break the chronology I think IE will only show urls up
    >>> to the break, so you'll want to rename them if you're trying to keep the
    >>> remaining urls in the history after your deletion, i.e., if I delete url6
    >>> then I would want to rename url7 to url6, url8 to url7, etc. Maybe not
    >>> the simplest approach but it will work.
    >>>
    >>> <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

    Fascinating stuff and very instructive. However, the info really was
    for an Indian friend of mine and I would hesitate to let him loose on
    the registry. he seems happy to have deleted everything, but I might
    use it sometime. many thanks

    Colin

    Is there not some other way? My friend is reluctant to mess with the
    registry.

    Thanks

    Colin

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 22:07:14 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:

    >On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 18:39:55 GMT, "Bruce Hendry" <bruce@binya.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I bill by the hour... ;)
    >>
    >>"Milamber³" <milamber@email.com> wrote in message
    >>> Or if you delete url6 rename the last url to url6 - might save a bit of
    >>> time
    >>> ;)
    >>>
    >>> Shiv
    >>> "Bruce Hendry" <bruce@binya.com> wrote in message

    >Fascinating stuff and very instructive. However, the info really was
    >for an Indian friend of mine and I would hesitate to let him loose on
    >the registry. he seems happy to have deleted everything, but I might
    >use it sometime. many thanks
    >
    >Colin

    Unable to see the original question. Have you tried "Clear History" from
    Internet Options?

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Is there not some other way? My friend is reluctant to mess with the
    > registry.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Colin
    >

    > On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 22:07:14 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 18:39:55 GMT, "Bruce Hendry" <bruce@binya.com>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I bill by the hour... ;)
    >>>
    >>>"Milamber³" <milamber@email.com> wrote in message

    >>Fascinating stuff and very instructive. However, the info really was
    >>for an Indian friend of mine and I would hesitate to let him loose on
    >>the registry. he seems happy to have deleted everything, but I might
    >>use it sometime. many thanks
    >>
    >>Colin

    Yes, we have tried that. My friend seems to think that "others" will
    be able to see what sites he's been visiting and that his business
    will suffer. He wants to selectively delete the record of some sites
    in the drop down window that shows sites visited.

    I expected it to be easy.

    Best wishes

    Colin

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:04:37 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

    >Unable to see the original question. Have you tried "Clear History" from
    >Internet Options?
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iehv.html

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Yes, we have tried that. My friend seems to think that "others" will
    > be able to see what sites he's been visiting and that his business
    > will suffer. He wants to selectively delete the record of some sites
    > in the drop down window that shows sites visited.
    >
    > I expected it to be easy.
    >
    > Best wishes
    >
    > Colin
    >

    > On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:04:37 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
    > <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Unable to see the original question. Have you tried "Clear History" from
    >>Internet Options?

Configuration Internet Explorer Microsoft Customization Windows XP