New Gaming PC ($2,000 or so Budget)

Trying to grab it all from Newegg, but if there really is a big difference in price please list it :)

Resolution: 1920x1080

If SLI could be explained a bit more that would be awesome (as if it would be worth it with the 2 550 Ti Cards?) and just general knowledge.

Goal of this PC:

- Run most games with max or close to max settings
- Be able to Fraps anything without loss of FPS or performance
- Have the ability to render video at a good pace
- Possiblity of streaming with high quality

MoBo: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
CPU: Intel i5 3570k
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2x 4GB) 240-PIN DDR3 1866
SSD: Intel 510 (Elm Crest) 120GB SATA III
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB (6GB/s) x2
PSU: Corsair HX750 (750W)
Heatsink: Thermaltake Frio

Unknown Pieces

GFX Card: Torn between GeForce 560 Ti, GeForce 670 FTW, 2x GeForce 550 Ti
Case: Looking for some suggestions in this department, have heard good things about larger cases like 1.5 towers but have also heard good things about soundproof cases

MoBo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460
SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167042
HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010
Heatsink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106150

Notes:

- Found a deal on the MoBo+Hard Drive and CPU+Hard Drive that saves $35 total

Thanks!
43 answers Last reply
More about gaming budget
  1. Looks good to me, and I personally love the nzxt switch 810. It's an amazing case. Also I'd go with the asus direct cuII top gtx 670, has better performance and comes with more extra features like gpu tweak (over clocking / under software) so if you want,you can turn the fan speed down, shut the top vents of the nzxt and viola, silent. Or open it up crank up performance and game to your heart's desire. Hope this helps
  2. i personally do not like Sabertooth

    if you are trying to get sabertooth because it says that "it will last longer because it is cooler" then you can go for it. but most mobos already last for decades even without the thermal armor

    i would say go for ASUS z77 pro which has simple wifi+blue tooth and it has fan xpert2 so you can control your fans without a fan controller

    for video rendering you can go i7 to get the extra power from HT to make it go faster and smoother

    Frio is a very loud cooler but it is very good.

    if you want a really strong one that is quiet go for noctua

    i would just say get a 670 EVGA brand is always a good one

    stay with a 1600 speed ram it is native to the CPU already but if you do go faster make sure to go into the bios to overclock your ram

    i have completely no idea why you would need 2x 3TB HDD

    unless you are doing something extreme just go for 1x 3TB or even a 2TB

    for the price of this i would rather put more on the SSD like going Cruical m4 256GB SSD
  3. The HDDs are for the raw files of Fraps as I would like to record at high FPS (pretty huge files - 3GB per minute or so)

    Would running two GTX 550 Ti Cards be more powerful then the 670?
  4. for $2k,you can build a pretty high end rig with latest components but i can't see a big reason to spend so much when you can have blazing performance for less price.here's what i would suggest-
    LG 24x dvd burner
    Silverstone raven RV03B full tower
    Samsung f4 2tb
    Asus GTX 670 2GB
    NZXT Hale82 750w modular
    Crucial Ballistix sports 8gb 1600mhz 1.5V
    Intel i5 3570k
    Coolermaster hyper 612 pwm
    Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB SSD
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    Total-$1550
    Note:The case is one of the best out there.very quiet and great cooling.have a look how good the case is-
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1244-page1.html
    gtx 670 is best bang for buck.for $420,it comes with a great cooler and lots of overclocking potential.will beat a stock 680 with little tweaks.take a look-
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/
    750w is more than enough for gtx 670 SLi+overclocks.
    hyper 612 pwm is a great cooler for it's price.highly rated at hardware secrets-
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Hyper-612-PWM-CPU-Cooler-Review/1398
    UD5H is a great board for it's price.loads of features and solid overclocker.
    every component is high quality and compatible.if you have any doubts,feel free to ask.
  5. I guess with a few of these pieces it is more brand loyalty but also some of them are more reliable, I mean sure you can save a few bucks here and there getting comparable parts but I don't mind paying the extra few dollars and get something that I won't have to send back and wait for a replacement (I realize that everything can be DoA but from reviews and such it just seems some brands are more reliable)

    Also why the 240GB SSD, I don't have that many programs and that is what I will be primarily using it for.

    Does anyone know more about aftermarket cooling, Most of these parts have been suggested by friends or others and personally I don't know the down-low on some pieces

    Thanks so far for the advice :)
  6. Also I think I forgot to post the monitors I was looking at :P

    I am also looking at having double display (dual monitors) so if that has any affect on the GFX Card please take this into consideration

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236176

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236205

    Now I have read a bit into these monitors and have taken a look at the ASUS site but there is still something that is troubling me

    The two models linked are:

    228 and 229

    The 228 (non-IPS) says it has a 5ms response time on Newegg and on the ASUS site

    -BUT-

    The 229 (IPS) says that it has 5ms on Newegg and 14ms on the ASUS site.
    a few comments say that it is 5ms but I am more inclined to follow the actual producers site.

    Any knowledge on the matter?

    Thanks!
  7. i don't think any of the components i suggested was from 'unreliable' brand.
    you are the first guy complaining for a 'larger' SSD :lol:
    Asus gtx 670 comes with a high quality cooler for gpu and hyper 612 pwm is a great cpu cooler.
  8. Why not a 27'' 2560x1440 S-IPS monitor instead? Everything just looks better. Can also be had for around $310
  9. Here are my suggestions.

    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($248.49 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Intel 510 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($214.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($187.27 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($187.27 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($409.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Silver Arrow ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($110.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1996.93 (After Rebates. $2011.93 Before)

    If you want to shave some money off the total,
    -Change to 1600Mhz RAM -$13 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231544 )
    -Change the Mobo -$88 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128544 )
    -Change the SSD -$90 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442 )

    With the 'downgrades', you'd be looking at $1820.43 before rebates ($1820.43 After)
  10. Why spend $200+ on a freaking 120gb ssd? You can get 2x crucial m4 128gb ssds for $100ish each and raid 0 them for better performance than the intel .
  11. I'm sorry if it sounded like I was saying your suggestions were grenade quality I didn't mean for it to sound like that :P

    I have a lot of faith in some of the brands that were picked but would you mind explaining the difference? Just haven't heard much about those brands hehe.

    What do you mean by the GTX 670 having a cooler? Are you talking about a cooler that is attached to the GFX Card or does it come with an extra?
  12. bavman said:
    Why spend $200+ on a freaking 120gb ssd? You can get 2x crucial m4 128gb ssds for $100ish each and raid 0 them for better performance than the intel .


    one of the worst and childish suggestion! you will loose trim support-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM
    and biggest downside is if your one drive fails,you loose your drives and data.
  13. bavman said:
    Why spend $200+ on a freaking 120gb ssd? You can get 2x crucial m4 128gb ssds for $100ish each and raid 0 them for better performance than the intel .


    you are right about the intel part but you would rather just go with 256GB instead of 2x 128GB

    what SSD are, is flash memory all inside a raid already so you would rather get just a 256GB and you can get features that you can't get in a 2x128GB raid 0 such as trim
  14. bavman said:
    Why not a 27'' 2560x1440 S-IPS monitor instead? Everything just looks better. Can also be had for around $310


    That's actually a good question, so here is my answer.

    As I am looking to play games primarily (at a competitive level) I find having a larger monitor makes your eyes have to travel farther. Even though this may seem silly to some it really can make a difference.

    It would be cool to have a large and higher quality monitor to make things look pretty but for this build Practicality>Aesthetics

    By the way, If any of my comments seem rude please understand nothing is meant to be a personal attack, I just get critical when spending a large sum of money :D

    Thanks again for such fast and in-depth responses!
  15. hellfire24 said:
    one of the worst and childish suggestion! you will loose trim support-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM
    and biggest downside is if your one drive fails,you loose your drives and data.


    The new intel RST drivers will support trim in raid 0, besides most ssds have their own garbage clean up systems that work like trim when its off.
  16. All you need for the ram is 1600mhz, there is NO difference between 1600, and 1866.
  17. DsComputer said:
    That's actually a good question, so here is my answer.

    As I am looking to play games primarily (at a competitive level) I find having a larger monitor makes your eyes have to travel farther. Even though this may seem silly to some it really can make a difference.

    It would be cool to have a large and higher quality monitor to make things look pretty but for this build Practicality>Aesthetics

    By the way, If any of my comments seem rude please understand nothing is meant to be a personal attack, I just get critical when spending a large sum of money :D

    Thanks again for such fast and in-depth responses!

    I totally agree. A 21.5 inch or 23 inch is about as big as you want to go.
  18. bavman said:
    The new intel RST drivers will support trim in raid 0, besides most ssds have their own garbage clean up systems that work like trim when its off.


    looks like you were talking about crucial drives.i am so much against raid o because my dad has suffered two failures from ocz 2x60gb SSDs.
  19. @darkclownjoe - What difference would I see between the i5 3570k vs i7 3770k? Also I have heard that the i7 Ivy Bridge CPUs are all having a really big problem with heat (and in some cases even with good Aftermarket coolers are not able to keep it at a sustainable temp)

    @kenabunkport - I cannot remember where I read it but there was a review done where the 1866mhz RAM was 15% better.

    Thanks again!
  20. hellfire24 said:
    looks like you were talking about crucial drives.i am so much against raid o because my dad has suffered two failures from ocz 2x60gb SSDs.


    Yes crucial drives or ocz drive or whatever...most of the time your cpu will be handling sata3 drivers (example ivy bridge supports 2 sata3 lanes) unless you have a built in marvel controller or something, so you'd install drivers from intel.
    I'm against raid 0 for harddrives because it provides no benefits at all for 95% of people, but it does seem to make a difference with ssds.
  21. DsComputer said:
    @darkclownjoe - What difference would I see between the i5 3570k vs i7 3770k? Also I have heard that the i7 Ivy Bridge CPUs are all having a really big problem with heat (and in some cases even with good Aftermarket coolers are not able to keep it at a sustainable temp)

    The only real benefit over a i5 is it's performance in editing/rendering. If you don't really care for the extra boost. You can downgrade that to the i7, but since it fit in your budget I included it. As for the heat, it's not really an issue, but as your overclock it starts the reach the heat output of a SB cpu. (So it's not that much of a problem.)
  22. Yeah, thanks for sticking to that budget.

    I don't think I included it but the monitors were to be included in that budget which was totally my fault.

    Thanks for the info on the i7 vs i5!
  23. DsComputer said:
    Yeah, thanks for sticking to that budget.

    I don't think I included it but the monitors were to be included in that budget which was totally my fault.

    Thanks for the info on the i7 vs i5!

    Then I'd definitely save some money and go for the i5 if you wanted to include monitors as well. Did you want to game on a single monitor or multiple?
  24. I think I would like to have the game full screen on one (Main, which if they aren't both 5ms I'm thinking to use the 5ms as my main) then having the other for internet/streams/ any other programs that I would like to view simultaneously while in the full screen of the game.
  25. DsComputer said:
    I think I would like to have the game full screen on one (Main, which if they aren't both 5ms I'm thinking to use the 5ms as my main) then having the other for internet/streams/ any other programs that I would like to view simultaneously while in the full screen of the game.

    With 2 monitors I'd say you can spend easily around $300-350. So I'll double-check the build and make sure it'll fit those monitors in.
  26. Also if I got one of each model I could flip flop them (I've just heard that the 228 has better colors then the 229, but the 229 is more fit for dual monitor)
  27. The monitors are listed above, I'll try to quote them:

    DsComputer said:
    Also I think I forgot to post the monitors I was looking at :P

    I am also looking at having double display (dual monitors) so if that has any affect on the GFX Card please take this into consideration

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236176

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236205

    Now I have read a bit into these monitors and have taken a look at the ASUS site but there is still something that is troubling me

    The two models linked are:

    228 and 229

    The 228 (non-IPS) says it has a 5ms response time on Newegg and on the ASUS site

    -BUT-

    The 229 (IPS) says that it has 5ms on Newegg and 14ms on the ASUS site.
    a few comments say that it is 5ms but I am more inclined to follow the actual producers site.

    Any knowledge on the matter?

    Thanks!
  28. I'm not really too sure about the monitors, but you should be able to fit 2x monitors that are running around $170 each into your build. (You should wait until someone more knowledgeable on the subject can help you.)

    Here's the updated build.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($62.98 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($187.27 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($187.27 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($409.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Silver Arrow ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VS229H-P 21.5" Monitor ($172.98 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VS229H-P 21.5" Monitor ($172.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: Before Rebates: $2013.39
    After Rebates: $1993.39
  29. get this case and save 10 bucks-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352008
    put $10 extra and get Asus DCII gtx 670-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121637]
    BTW,you really need 6tb????
  30. hellfire24 said:


    Was actually looking at the GFX card, what about this one?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787

    Seems a little more compact
  31. The heat problems are only above 4.5 GHz.
  32. Well I guess the Asus 670 model does have extra cooling, does this really have some practicality to it?
  33. yes extra cooling=cooler operations,less noise,more overclocking and more fun.
    EVGA FTW version is a stock cooler with high flow bracket.
    i vote for Asus.
  34. hellfire24 said:
    yes extra cooling=cooler operations,less noise,more overclocking and more fun.
    EVGA FTW version is a stock cooler with high flow bracket.
    i vote for Asus.


    yea it really is good but i have problems of installing a second one due to me using a lot of PCI slots
  35. most likely ypu will have enough space to install asus 670.
  36. hellfire24 said:

    BTW,you really need 6tb????


    Yeah, while recording FRAPS at 60fps the files are around ~3-4GB/minute

    I recorded very lightly on the computer that I am currently using (at 30fps no sound) and my hard drive is about 90% full (which is horrible!)

    Thanks again for all the help!
  37. One last question:

    Thermaltake Frio vs. Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler

    Pros/Cons?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106150

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018


    Would I have enough room to have the Noctua in this Case?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352016
  38. I vote asus, and also definitely go for the i7, the only differences between the i5 and i7 are exactly what you need. Hyper threading improves video editing speeds by a lot so you'll be getting things done fast.
  39. Video Editing isn't a main priority, going at a decent rate for the price.

    Is there much of a difference between the i5 and the i7 if I was to start streaming?
  40. Are you going to be rendering your videos to put on YouTube ? If so what I said applies, but it's up to you. And streaming won't make much of a difference.
  41. Why would it matter whether I have an i5 vs i7 for rendering videos for Youtube?
  42. It doesn't.
  43. DsComputer said:
    One last question:

    Thermaltake Frio vs. Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler

    Pros/Cons?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106150

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018


    Would I have enough room to have the Noctua in this Case?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352016


    Any more opinions?
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product