Sign in with
Your question

GTX 560 choke (BF3 bound?)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 26, 2012 11:01:55 AM

Hi,

While playing BF3 (low to ultra) we've been experiencing solid 60fps, and then huge dips in performance to 1 single frame on the GTX 560. I'm wondering if I put this to anyone who's experienced the same problem, what workaround they've came across? I'm also having slow load times on multiplayer maps (would this be a GPU problem?). Notably I'm on Nvidias latest driver, and haven't tried dialing back drivers yet.

Now we only dropped in the i5-2400 & GTX 560 last Friday, upgrading from a G620 & 8800GT. For the installation we just went with the windows updates (automatic update for the 560 card included), so perhaps we've missed something along the way. Any pointers would be very welcome.

Specs:
- Intel i5 2400
- GTX 560
- 4GB RAM OCZ
- 750W Arianet
- 500GB HD
- Monitor (desired resolution): 1280x1024

In addition: We have two machines in the house. The Intel spec above, running on the Nvidia platform, and the newly released six core Bulldozer (6200) paired with the recent HD 7770.

What's brought this to light has been the faster boot times on the AMD platform, with the 7770 running the game consistently, on ultra settings. The AMD machine does have 8GB of RAM, but how much of an advantage that it is in terms of real world game performance, I really don't know. Both GPUs have been running at the same resolution (above).

Would this be a driver/installation issue? Surely we should be seeing reliable performance on the Intel & Nvidia platform.
a c 291 U Graphics card
March 26, 2012 11:50:59 AM

Never trust windows updates! It installs generic driver, not the one for your graphics card. It is most likely driver issue, because you didn't install them.

You can download them from here: http://uk.geforce.com/drivers

Load times only depend on the hard drive and processor, and has very little to do with your graphics card. Considering i5 2400 is way better than fx 6200, I'd say you have a better hard drive in that other computer.
March 26, 2012 12:09:38 PM

Sunius said:
Never trust windows updates! It installs generic driver, not the one for your graphics card. It is most likely driver issue, because you didn't install them.

You can download them from here: http://uk.geforce.com/drivers

Load times only depend on the hard drive and processor, and has very little to do with your graphics card. Considering i5 2400 is way better than fx 6200, I'd say you have a better hard drive in that other computer.

Thanks Sunius.

Doh! We'll nab those drivers now, and hopefully we'll see improved performance.
Related resources
a c 88 U Graphics card
March 26, 2012 12:42:38 PM

The 4GB of ram is choking it or BF3 especially if you are trying for Ultra, add another 4 GB of ram and you will notice a big difference when playing BF3.
I had lag and stutter with my 4GB once I upgraded the ram it fixed the problem. I've seen my ram usage during BF3 hit over 5GBs.
a b U Graphics card
March 26, 2012 1:18:06 PM

monsta said:
The 4GB of ram is choking it or BF3 especially if you are trying for Ultra, add another 4 GB of ram and you will notice a big difference when playing BF3.
I had lag and stutter with my 4GB once I upgraded the ram it fixed the problem. I've seen my ram usage during BF3 hit over 5GBs.

+1

More RAM always smooths things out. And it's the cheapest upgrade!
March 26, 2012 1:19:40 PM

monsta said:

Wow I had no idea it hit that high.... I'm running a gtx 285 on medium settings (this is direct x 9 mind you) and see it constitantly stay in the 30-60 fps range.

I will do a little more research on this issue though. I didn't think any game required that much system RAM.
March 26, 2012 1:47:57 PM

Windows 7 installs first party WHQL drivers which should be ok.

The battlefield uses streaming system to dynamically load & unload parts of the map as they are explored.

Is there a correlation between the performance dips and exploration? If there is then it's probably because of a hard drive. Maybe defragmenting helps.
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 26, 2012 2:39:57 PM

BF3 doesn't need tons of RAM but it will use what you give it. When I play I hit upwards of 6-7gb used (8 total).

As mentioned, get the official drivers from Nvidia. You will probably want to do a clean install though, see here:
http://wolframpc.blogspot.ca/2012/01/how-to-install-cro...

Also, run a disk defrag. As an FYI, as a disk gets full the read/write times slow down considerably. If that is the case, you might want to consider backing up everything when you get the chance and do a clean install with a disk partition. Say, 200gb for programs and then 300gb for media (movies, music, pics, docs, etc) so that you keep all programs on the faster section of the drive.
March 27, 2012 4:25:56 PM

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

We didn't try much yesterday other than getting a clean driver installation complete. We still choked on some of the bigger maps, but we have a feeling that the hard drive is ultimately chugging performance along.

Yes, the AMD machine has a 7200RPM drive in it, compared to the Intel having 5400RPM.

We'll check out RAM usage soon too.
March 28, 2012 4:17:49 PM

Ran a defrag last night, and booted up the game earlier. We still experienced dips.

I swapped out the 8GB RAM from the AMD rig, and placed it into the Intel machine. The game finally became stable at Ultra settings. With the exception of the slower hard drive choking map loading time, it looks like a RAM upgrade is needed after all.

Oh well, not much to worry about.
a c 291 U Graphics card
March 28, 2012 4:29:03 PM

glad you figured it out!
March 28, 2012 6:50:38 PM

I purchased 4 more gb of ram just because of this thread lol
March 28, 2012 9:54:20 PM

Quote:
more RAM is the truth.

example that happened to me (even open thread about it some time back):
specs:
2500K / 4GB / SLi GTX 460 / SSD+HHD / triple monitor 2D Surround

I tried to run Cysis2 in extreme and then in high level graphics.
less than 1 minute into the game it would crash and then I'd get the low memory usage error message and it would all close down or force me to close.
I tried closing down almost all the apps not needed including A/V trying to have more available RAM, still wouldn't work.

so finally I upgraded to an 8GB kit and now the game flows like it was meant to be played..
no errors about low RAM and now I even leave the crap running in the background without thinking about it..

I remember the days when 4GB was enough, 160GB HDD was big enough, and the 8800GT was the newest GPU out....
:lol: 

lol I know it. 4 gb was TONS of RAM. I use to run 8800gt in SLI and I thought it was AMAZING haha
!