Would these components work together for a solid gaming computer?

brendanflynn

Honorable
May 26, 2012
Im new to this site and im hoping to see if these would work together if I were to buildmy own gaming PC. Im trying to build a gaming computer for about $200 to $300 less than a prebuilt gaming computer. These are the components: http://picgoes.in/v/jUwiY.png anything missing or anything need to replace? please help me

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Well at a glance, you have an AMD motherboard with an Intel CPU, that will not work, you must match up the socket type of the motherboard and CPU otherwise they will not connect. Second thing is you have listed a triple channel RAM kit, there are not many triple channel motherboards/CPU's out there, make sure if the motherboard says dual channel you get a dual channel kit. Third is more a preference than will/wont work, Apevia isnt known to make very reliable power supplies, your PSU is an important part of the system, a bad one can kill everything, dont go cheap on it get a corsair, XFX, or other highly reviewed and rated PSU.

It would run for about 10 seconds before the power supply exploded , so do you have a fire extinguisher?

It really helps to use the format suggested in the thread at the top of the forum about how to ask for advice . Then we dont have to guess

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006

Geez..talk about exageration. There might just be a loud pop, with sparks flying everywhere...and smoke....and fire...blown fuses...melted components, stuff like that. Then again, maybe it will explode, but either way for $19.99 it will be a cool show. :sarcastic:

small personalized explosion with flame ?

Brendanflynn go read that thread I suggested you look at . You will wind up with a better answer if you ask the right questions .

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006

No problem. The GTX 570 does draw quite a bit of juice, and the average psu just isnt up to the task, so you've made a good decision. Honestly, no exageration...that unit wouldnt have been able to even boot the pc. Would hate to see someone get a new system only to find it didnt run.

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006

No! In the picture of the back of the power supply you see a red switch. If it has that, avoid at all costs. I'll link to another thats ok..not as good as forst to but will do the job. Otherwise, check Neweggs daily email sales or Shell Shocker (on home page) sale which change daily, they have good powersupplies on sale all the time. Look for an Antec, Corsair, OCZ, PC power & Cooling, Seasonic or XFX brand, or Rosewill "Hive" series

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006

Outlander, do you think the OP could get away with the Corsair CX500?.

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

I am not a big fan of more than 1 +12v rail PSU's, back when the graphics cards didnt pull enough to need both rails power then it was a nice back up if one rail failed you could use the other untill you got a replacement PSU, now if one rail fails your in the same boat as a single rail. Not only that but multiple rails tend to have larger differences in output voltages, its easier for them to regulate a single large output.

Preferences aside I wouldnt suggest anything less than 600w for todays non-sli gaming rigs just for upgrade ability. This is a solid PSU, have had one in my main gaming rig now for 3 years and it powered everything from a GTS 450 to a HD 6850 and now is feeding a GTX 670.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
Trust me spending the extra on a more than suffiecient solid brand name PSU will pay off in the long run.

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006

Ya, that was the first one I suggested, seems like good value for the money. I built my dad a pc a few months ago and used the CX430. I was really impressed with the unit, and had my rebate back in 28 days.

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

Corsair is quality stuff, cost a bit more but worth it imo, if i were building a system i would cheap out on the CPU before I would cheap out on the PSU.