Can't see workgroup computers with new install

jwally

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Hi all

I just re-installed xp pro on my machine and now I can't see the rest of the machines on our home network(3). The only thing I change was I slipstreamed sp2 onto my xp disk to make the install faster. The old load I updated to sp2. I havbe double checked all of the names on the group and have tried other things on the net with no results. I have re-imaged my old install to a spare drive and am using it so that everyone can print (my machine has the printer connected). We have a total of 5 machines running xp and I have always been able to see and share with all of them.

The only thing I can figure out is the slipstreamed xp has something set that I can't find. I have changed nothing else.

Any ideas on this? I am going to have to re-image and run the old install on the new drive if I can't get this figured out.....and I really don't want to do that.

Thanks for the replies

jw

sturm

Splendid
What workgroup is your computer set to use? Bring up system properties - computer name. Make sure that matches the rest of the computers on your network.
Does internet work?
Is the computer name the same as the old one? are you sharing the printers/folders so other people can see you?
Try a refresh on the network places on the other computers.

jwally

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Found it......Boy do I feel really dumb.....IP number was wrong. I have only set up sharing about 500 times. I know I looked at it at least 5 times during trouble shooting.

I guess because I could hit the internet it threw me.

Thanks for the replies..........

jw