Connecting to Nearby Unsecured Network

twistedspine

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
Hello, I was wondering if anybody can tell me why I can't get online when im an conncted to a nearby unsecured wireless network. I have my settings set to automatic, what else should i be doing to get online? Maybe its because its unsecured? I don't know, but the signal strength is fairly good and i can get connected to it just cant get on the internet... please help!!

twistedspine

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
It is my dad's but he is outta town on a business trip and wont be back for a while. I was asking him what i should do to get online but he said to wait for him to get back,which wont be for another month, because he his too busy to sit on the phone and troubleshoot this with me. So, im just getting anxious because I wanna get online and surf the web like facebook and stuff, plus its just nice to have internet available at home. So, I would much appreciate your help and patience.

twistedspine

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010

Please respond quickly!! i only have so much time on this computer at school!!! thank you

wirelessuser

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Try this:
Start Menu> Firewall with Advanced Security > Outbound Rules > look for "Routing and Remote Access (L2TP-Out)" it should be disabled (greyed out). Sort the rules based on enabled/disabled by clicking on the enabled column tab if you have trouble finding it.
Afterwards, right click for properties > "General" tab > check the "Enable" box > choose "Allow the connection if secure" > "Customize" > first choice, "Allow the connection if it is autheticated..."

If "Routing and Remote Access (L2TP-Out)" was not disabled in the first place you don't have the same problem as me so this method might not work.

TRENDING THREADS