Sign in with
Your question

Cpu running at 100% constantly

Last response: in CPUs
September 18, 2012 7:30:22 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron with an amd processor(2.30 GHZ), 4 GB ram and running windows 7 home. It has been mostly running fine until a few weeks ago when the processor started to run at 100% all the time.
I checked the task manager and can find nothing using a great amount of ram or resources on the cpu.
I have scanned with Malware Bytes, Super anti spyware and Norton 360 which is running all the time and supposedly there are no viruses. I have also cleaned with c cleaner and defragged the hard drive and have used system restore with no change and now I am at a loss at what to do next.
Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

a c 146 à CPUs
September 18, 2012 8:59:21 PM

Task manager shows how much each process is using the cpu in the processes tab. If you didn't see anything using the cpu, you need to click "show processes from all users" on the bottom left to show everything. Then it should be easy to spot what is using the cpu in the cpu column.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2012 11:58:24 PM

Also, you might have 'dust bunny' accumulation causing the heat to rise, thus the CPU fan tries to compensate. Have you taken the side off and given it a jolly good rogering with some canned air? Always blow both ways, through the fan out the fins and thru the fins towards the CPU. Might as well clean the rest of the fans/components too...
m
l
Related resources
September 19, 2012 10:39:39 AM

I have checked and cleaned the inside of the case, this is a problem that has popped up the last two years but has only lasted a day or two but now it is crippling the pc. As i said i have checked the task manager and found nothing out of the ordinary and am wondering if there is a hardware problem.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 19, 2012 10:46:44 AM

millturn said:
I have checked and cleaned the inside of the case, this is a problem that has popped up the last two years but has only lasted a day or two but now it is crippling the pc. As i said i have checked the task manager and found nothing out of the ordinary and am wondering if there is a hardware problem.

Sounds like something got changed in power options and now min and max processor usage is 100%. Take a look in there.
m
l
September 19, 2012 3:54:17 PM

wanderer11 said:
Sounds like something got changed in power options and now min and max processor usage is 100%. Take a look in there.

Could you explain a little more on what to do as I have not done anything in power options and not even sure where they are?
Thanx in advance
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 19, 2012 4:16:42 PM

millturn said:
Could you explain a little more on what to do as I have not done anything in power options and not even sure where they are?
Thanx in advance

Control panel> hardware and sound> power options> change plan settings> change advanced power settings> then look for something about the processor and there should be a min and max. Make sure the min is not set to 100%.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
September 19, 2012 4:53:26 PM

What exactly is at 100%? I mentioned cpu usage, scottie says fan speed and now wanderer is talking about clock speed.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 19, 2012 5:02:34 PM

k1114 said:
What exactly is at 100%? I mentioned cpu usage, scottie says fan speed and now wanderer is talking about clock speed.

I actually meant CPU usage. I might have misunderstood something.
m
l
!