Status
Not open for further replies.

drmushroom

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
So I bought a sound card because my new motherboard seemed to be making static I couldnt get rid of.
I installed it having uninstalled old drivers and disabling onboard audio and powered on
It powers on and stays on but theres no video output whatsoever, i remove the card and comp starts just fine.
I tried the card in all 3 PCI express 1.0 slots and I get the same result. (My graphics card is working fine btw)
I looked at bios aswell and there dosent seem to be anything about PCI slots being disabled or somthing like that.

I try the card in 5 year old comp with some crappy MSI oem mother board that was always troublesome and it starts up and I install drivers just fine and it works perfectly.

So yeah.. I'm at a loss...
I really dont want to have to update the bios on board if I don't have to.. I mean it works on a 5 year old board with a bios from 2007?

Board http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4140#ov

Sound Card http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_DGX/

Thanks in advance

I don't have any other PCI express x1 devices to test slots with

drmushroom

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

I did try starting with only the sound card in before posting but got the same result.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Your video card has to be in the top X16 slot for the PCIe x1 slots to work, is it? If you have anything in the x4 slot the x1 slots wont work either.

drmushroom

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Video card was already in top slot and I have tried it with only sound card in x1 slot and no other pci devices still same result.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
You could try your video card in the bottom x4 slot (with nothing else in any of the PCIe slots) if your video card works there then you know the problem most likely lies with the sound card, if your video card doesn't work there then you have a bad PCIe slot since the x4 slot and the x1 slots all share the same bandwidth.

drmushroom

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Well I did remove my Video card cause the slot is obviously working and put sound card in , same results, will test video card in bottom slot anyway and see what happens thanks

drmushroom

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Tested bottom slot with video card and it works so the slot must be fine ,sound card works perfectly in old machine,bios is upto date so I know thats fine. Odd

Status
Not open for further replies.